1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:00
    Pancake mix is back on the shelves again.

What is the mark up for mixing flour, egg, milk and salt and packaging? Literally nothing else in it.
    How much extra packaging is used in the process?
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:02
    @relentless-red said

What is the mark up for mixing flour, egg, milk and salt and packaging? Literally nothing else in it.
    We live in a throwaway society, full of convenience items that are not needed nor wise for us to be producing or purchasing 🙁
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:05
    you can buy hard boiled eggs already peeled
    that's just dumb
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:08
    @yo-its-me said
    We live in a throwaway society, full of convenience items that are not needed nor wise for us to be producing or purchasing 🙁
    Are people so lacking in confidence in the kitchen that they feel it's worth the money?? I just don't get why it sells. So easy to Google pancake mix.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:10
    A lot of this packaging ends up polluting the environment, particularly the oceans.

Please shop with intent to change it.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:11
    @relentless-red said
    Are people so lacking in confidence in the kitchen that they feel it's worth the money?? I just don't get why it sells. So easy to Google pancake mix.
    It's convenient.
    You don't need to weigh out the ingredients and you know it's going to cook (too much of one ingredient can make the mix not cook properly) and like you say, no looking up ingredients.
    You only need to add liquid and you can shake it up (no cleaning mixing tool), pour it right into your pan and throwaway the bottle.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:12
    @yo-its-me said
    It's convenient.
    You don't need to weigh out the ingredients and you know it's going to cook (too much of one ingredient can make the mix not cook properly) and like you say, no looking up ingredients.
    You only need to add liquid and you can shake it up (no cleaning mixing tool), pour it right into your pan and throwaway the bottle.
    Sounds good. I'm off to buy some. 🤣
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:16
    @relentless-red said
    What is the mark up for mixing flour, egg, milk and salt and packaging?
    If cost is no object, and time is precious, or the spirit is weak, a simple packet of mix might suit someone rather than having to mess around with flour, egg, milk and salt. It's surely a good thing that the choice exists. No one is compelled to buy the mix ~ unless they MUST have pancakes and they don't have access to the prerequisite flour, egg, milk and salt.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:25
    @fmf said
    If cost is no object, and time is precious, or the spirit is weak, a simple packet of mix might suit someone rather than having to mess around with flour, egg, milk and salt. It's surely a good thing that the choice exists. No one is compelled to buy the mix ~ unless they MUST have pancakes and they don't have access to the prerequisite flour, egg, milk and salt.
    If choosing convenience foods is destroying the planet it is hard to see the good in it. Maybe financially penalise the company offering the choice? Offset the cost to the environment and the cost to health perhaps? c.f. cigarettes??
  10. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:42
    @relentless-red said
    If choosing convenience foods is destroying the planet it is hard to see the good in it. Maybe financially penalise the company offering the choice? Offset the cost to the environment and the cost to health perhaps? c.f. cigarettes??
    Sure, but where would that stop?
    Eating meat products increases cholesterol and that's a big health issue. Farmers are subsidised by most governments so things are backwards atm
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:49
    @yo-its-me said
    Sure, but where would that stop?
    Eating meat products increases cholesterol and that's a big health issue. Farmers are subsidised by most governments so things are backwards atm
    Loads of public money went into health education about cigarettes and then somebody demonstrated that the only thing that could be shown to influence behaviour was cost. Maybe the root of the problem is in the fear of cooking? Maybe kids don't get to enjoy using practical skills enough at home or in schools?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 13:59
    @relentless-red said
    You actually want to ban pancake mix or drive it out of existence in some way?
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 14:33
    @fmf said
    You actually want to ban pancake mix or drive it out of existence in some way?
    Of course not, I think that should be done by the military. I do, however, believe that I should be in full control of the armed forces.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 14:49
    @relentless-red said
    Of course not, I think that should be done by the military. I do, however, believe that I should be in full control of the armed forces.
    So you only want the government to intervene in order to drive the price up?
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 15:03
    @relentless-red said

Pancake mix has been in boxes since Aunt Jemima...nothing new about it for sure. People found it an easy quick way to make them and they tasted pretty good too!
    Perhaps most doing mind paying the extra cost in today's world?

I loved to see the Aunt Jemima box coming out as it meant pancakes for Breakfast.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree