1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 21:49
    Might as well do a follow up since we won't be flying anywhere new anytime soon.

https://www.dailychess.com/forum/general/how-many-airports-have-you-been-to-pt3.172929

Belfast international
    Belfast City
    London Heathrow
    London city
    Gatwick
    Stansted
    Luton
    Liverpoo
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Mallorca
    Madrid
    Amsterdam
    Cologne
    Dublin
    Chicago
    Denver
    Dallas
    Miami
    JFK
    Atlanta
    Lima
    Bogotá
    Cartagena
    Kuwait
    Mumbai
    Malaga
    Rome Ciampino
    Paris Beauvais
    Barcelona
    Ponta Delgada, Azores
    Lisbon
    Milan Bergamo
    Budapest
    Marrakesh Menara
    Beijing Capital International
    Bangkok Suvarnabhumi
    Bangkok Don Mueang
    Chiang Mai
    Hanoi
    Da Nang
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yangon
    Toronto
    Faro
    Nice
    Athens
    Crete
    Fuerteventura
    Naples
    Istanbul Atatürk
    Addis Ababa Bole
    Dubai
    King Khaled International Airport (Riyadh) Just a few hours stopover
    Manila
    Cebu
    Singapore

57 now.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 22:441 edit
    @Trev33, I bet a lot of those have cool architecture.

Not so many for me:

Mankato Regional (Minnesota)
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Tampa
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Newark
    Trenton-Mercer Regional (NJ)
    McCarran (Vegas)
    Phoenix
    O'Hare (Chicago)
    LAX (Los Angeles)
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 23:31
    @caesar-salad said
    @Trev33, I bet a lot of those have cool architecture.

Not so many for me:

Mankato Regional (Minnesota)
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Tampa
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Newark
    Trenton-Mercer Regional (NJ)
    McCarran (Vegas)
    Phoenix
    O'Hare (Chicago)
    LAX (Los Angeles)
    I get impressed by the simple things, like in Mumbai they have an area they've turned into a mini forest, nice to sit among the trees for a while. Just outside Singapore airport there's a shopping center with a nice man made water fall with seating round it to relax and watch the water.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 00:57
    Missed San Andres, Colombia last year. Forgettable place, unforgettable little airport.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 06:14
    @Trev33

UK/Ire
    Heathrow
    Gatwick
    Stanstead
    Luton
    Southampton
    Bristol
    Manchester
    Glasgow
    Edinburgh
    Leeds/Bradford
    Penzance
    Exeter
    Tresco
    Jersey
    Guernsey
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Shannon
    Galway

Nordics
    Stockholm
    Copenhagen
    Oslo

Russia
    Moscow
    St Petersburg
    Novosibirsk

Poland
    Warsaw
    Kraków
    Katowice

Czech R.
    Prague

Hungary
    Budapest

Holland
    Amsterdam

Belgium
    Brussels

France
    Paris CDG
    Paris Orly
    Nice
    Lyon
    Marseille
    Strasbourg

Monaco (Monte Carlo)

Spain
    Madrid
    Valencia
    Barcelona
    Malaga
    Mahon (Menorca)
    Palma (Mallorca)
    Lanzarote

Gibraltar

Portugal
    Lisbon

Greece
    Chania (Crete)
    Corfu
    Mykonos
    Santorini
    Paphos (Cyprus)
    Athens
    Preveza (Lefkada)

Germany
    Berlin
    Stuttgart
    Hamburg
    Frankfurt

Austria
    Vienna

Switzerland
    Geneva
    Interlaken

Italy
    Milan Linate
    Milan Malpensa
    Rome
    Brindisi
    Naples

Egypt
    Sharm el Sheik
    Cairo

Dubai
    Kuwait

Saudi Arabia
    Jeddah
    Riyadh

Africa
    Bazarutu Island (Mozambique)
    Zambia (Lusaka)
    Cape Town
    Johannesburg

Indian Ocean
    Mauritius
    Male/Maldives

USA
    Chicago
    Indianapolis
    Minneapolis
    Atlanta
    Jacksonville
    Miami
    New York - Newark
    New York - JFK
    Phoenix

88, a few more since the last outing.
    Probably won’t be many more for me.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 06:151 edit
    @Trev33

Too many for me to recall, but I will mention the worse I've ever been to: Stansted. Tatty, run down, and too small for the volume of traffic. I (and the rest of the passengers on my flight) waited longer for the luggage than we had been in the air.

My favourite airport: Bern. Show up 15 minutes before departure, get a croissant and a hot cocoa, sail through security in 2 minutes. Walk onto the tarmac to board your plane. Three gates, one runway, cute little propeller-Bombardiers with single seat to the left of the aisle and double seats to the right, soar over the Alps as you climb to cruise altitude.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 06:351 edit
    @moonbus

I pretty much loathe all airports, flying Itself and most other passengers to be brutally honest. It’s a miserable experience unless one goes business class which makes it almost tolerable.

The worst airports I’ve been through are;
    Paris CDG for its seemingly strategic approach to misinformation
    Geneva for its utterly hopeless baggage reclaim service (French managed no doubt)
    Sharm el Shiek (prior to the bomb on the Russian flight) for its headless chicken approach to absolutely everything
    Riyadh for its terrifying security
    I can’t remember Stanstead except arriving late and redirected from somewhere in Poland and all the Polish passengers clapping as we touched down.

Edit; favourite is Exeter. Smashing little airport.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 07:22
    @divegeester
    In my experience, the French approach to strategic misinformation applies to the whole road network, not just to CDG airport. In every town, there are signs directing you to the cemetery, WWI monument, WWII monument, military cemetery, Veterans' Association meeting hall, veterinarian's office, some farm or other, garbage depot, Lyon, and the next village — this is duplicated across the second largest country in western Europe (after Ukraine), so if you don't want to go to Lyon and don't have Michelin maps listing the entire string of next villages continuously, you might as well be in a frigging fjord. (I think is was implemented to confuse the German army.)

Whereas, road signing in England is a treat: THE MIDLANDS, or THE NORTH. Now that's useful information! I can get oriented.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 07:561 edit
    @moonbus said
    @divegeester
    In my experience, the French approach to strategic misinformation applies to the whole road network, not just to CDG airport. In every town, there are signs directing you to the cemetery, WWI monument, WWII monument, military cemetery, Veterans' Association meeting hall, veterinarian's office, some farm or other, garbage depot, Lyon, and the next village — this ...[text shortened]... n England is a treat: THE MIDLANDS, or THE NORTH. Now that's useful information! I can get oriented.
    I’ve not driven in France (other than in my early twenties in the south) so haven’t taken much notice of the roads other than the never ending taxi journey from CDG to the city.

America is another country with what is for me bizarre road signage. Street and road names/numbers everywhere with an assumption that the traveler knows which direction the next town is.

I got dangerously lost in Florida trying to navigate the grid system and ended up being rescued by a burley police woman in an unfeasibly large car and who was armed to the teeth in virtually every piece of personal weaponry I’ve seen.

I said lamely “hi I’m English and I’m lost”...
    She smirked then smiled and drawled “yeah”...
    It was a nice experience.
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 08:52
    @moonbus said
    @divegeester
    In my experience, the French approach to strategic misinformation applies to the whole road network, not just to CDG airport. In every town, there are signs directing you to the cemetery, WWI monument, WWII monument, military cemetery, Veterans' Association meeting hall, veterinarian's office, some farm or other, garbage depot, Lyon, and the next village — this ...[text shortened]... n England is a treat: THE MIDLANDS, or THE NORTH. Now that's useful information! I can get oriented.
    Similarly way too many airports to list due to Liverpool away games with trips to minor airports all over Europe (sorry planet, but went overland to Madrid).

Most interesting though was when Air India were on strike, but said they could still get us home from Trivandrum via two minor changes in the Middle East. Western couple with back packs were fish out of water, strange.

To comment on your remark about French signage Lyon is exactly the place you want to go in my experience. Turn off for St Etienne if speeding down east side autoroutes (gotta like the French roads for big open autoroutes for really seeing what car can do). Place I had to meet friend at airport for Euros. Lyon is clearly the only place you need on the signs. Otherwise from football perspective Marseilles, but that's just keep going til you run out of country.

Signage that just says The North is not good. Okay the Midlands just has Birmingham but learn a few cities in the north people. Guess percentage of the country that is North of Watford Gap it will alarm you. Heading for Leeds will not get you to Liverpool.

Liverpool John Lennon Airport has the sign "Above us only sky". Even if it isn't welcoming you home you have to like that!
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 13:22

Removed by poster

12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 14:36
    @trev33 said
    Might as well do a follow up since we won't be flying anywhere new anytime soon.

https://www.dailychess.com/forum/general/how-many-airports-have-you-been-to-pt3.172929

Belfast international
    Belfast City
    London Heathrow
    London city
    Gatwick
    Stansted
    Luton
    Liverpoo
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Mallorca
    Madrid
    Amsterdam
    Cologne
    Dublin
    Chicago
    Denver
    Dallas
    Miami
    JFK ...[text shortened]... Khaled International Airport (Riyadh) Just a few hours stopover
    Manila
    Cebu
    Singapore

57 now.
    Anywhere recently? I might want to steer clear of you!

-VR
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 14:52
    @trev33 said
    I get impressed by the simple things, like in Mumbai they have an area they've turned into a mini forest, nice to sit among the trees for a while. Just outside Singapore airport there's a shopping center with a nice man made water fall with seating round it to relax and watch the water.
    My list is far shorter than yours, but landing at Nagasaki airport was an interesting experience. (The runway appears at the very last second and I was convinced, much to my wife's amusement, that we were going to land in the ocean).
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 19:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    My list is far shorter than yours, but landing at Nagasaki airport was an interesting experience. (The runway appears at the very last second and I was convinced, much to my wife's amusement, that we were going to land in the ocean).
    She was probably thinking and I actually married this nit!!! 😉

-VR
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 19:43
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    How was Japan? Mate of mine went a couple of years ago and loved it, also spent a fortune. Do they have any ww2 museums?

You remind me of an airport I missed from the list, was just a stopover on the way to Colombia but had a similar feeling flying into Panama, tall buildings and sea, where's the run way? 😲 Seeing the Panama canal overhead was pretty cool though. The flight had been delayed which left about 30 minutes before the next flight but knew they'd delay it to get all the luggage moved across, same airline under one booking, no one told an old Colombian woman though who as soon as the plane hit the ground was off her chair running down aisle, had to be told to sit down and stop being so stupid (I might have added that part), never in my life have I seen anything like it. What was her plan, jump off before the plane stopped? I thought at the time, I bet she's getting the same flight as me next and as I walked casually to the next gate there she was with her son who had also been dragged out of his chair to run down the aisle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree