General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    08 Feb '15 09:29
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    not funny on so many different levels

    just a suggestion, but why not try replying to my points regarding football?
    because (a) this is the general forum, not debates, and (b) I am me.

    you should know better, shorty.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    08 Feb '15 09:41
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Walker's? If it's Walker's then yes, indeed.
  3. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Feb '15 10:05
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    sorry, that just isnt right. Clough didnt 'pass on what he knew' at all. The players who he managed may have been intelligent enough to pick up major tips from his style. Many others apart from O'Neill have failed (Pearce, Keane, Mc Farland, Mc Govern, ...)
    Do you really think Lennon is a good manager?
    I think hes better than you and O'Neil was awesomely successful at Glasgow Celtic. Coincidence, hardly, he well learned under Clough.
  4. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    08 Feb '15 10:121 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I think hes better than you and O'Neil was awesomely successful at Glasgow Celtic. Coincidence, hardly, he well learned under Clough.
    disregarding childish first comment,(I dislike Lennon as he thought he could pick up easy money at the end of his career playing for Forest and was an overweight hasbeen, who didnt try to get in shape. We will see how he does long term at Bolton)...

    I have never disagreed that Martin O'Neil was a very good manager. He is an intelligent bloke, and, yes, picked up tips no doubt from Clough. I am simply saying that I dont think Clough actively tried to TEACH him, as was hinted at elsewhere.

    How many 'great managers' have blossomed from serving under other 'great managers'?? Very few, I would say. Which protegees of Clough, Paisley, Ferguson and Revie would YOU say have gone onto great things?
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7485
    08 Feb '15 10:30
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    That comment shows your lack of knowledge of football fans..

    Do you 'really only support successful teams?????'

    How the Accrington Stanleys, Mansfields, et al must LOVE your view of a 'football fan'
    What do you expect from someone who comes from a country where the most important sport is wife-carrying? Obviously they have no idea of the true definition of "team sport". The only team "sport" they play there is ice hockey, and that's just another excuse for a scrap.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7485
    08 Feb '15 10:33
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    'son'?? I am 58!!
    so..your 'point' is that unless ''your team' is good (Chelski, Man Ure, Arsenal etc) ..they are not worth supporting?? Or, worse, supporting the likes of Chesterfield, Mansfield, anyone else below 'top 4', makes you a lesser being..hmmm...interesting point
    He's a foreign supporter of the Red Scum. Of course he would switch sides if they don't win the title again within a year or two! Maybe then he'll start supporting Manchester...
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    08 Feb '15 10:39
    ha! tread carefully with ice hockey, wee lads 😀

    the day your overpaid primadonnas go out to the pitch and
    knock a few teeth down to entertain you, then you're
    authorized to open your cute, lipsticked lips.
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Feb '15 11:111 edit
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    disregarding childish first comment,(I dislike Lennon as he thought he could pick up easy money at the end of his career playing for Forest and was an overweight hasbeen, who didnt try to get in shape. We will see how he does long term at Bolton)...

    I have never disagreed that Martin O'Neil was a very good manager. He is an intelligent bloke, ...[text shortened]... hich protegees of Clough, Paisley, Ferguson and Revie would YOU say have gone onto great things?
    This is a strawman argument, i have not mentioned any other managers, merely Clough, who I think was exceptional. The last truly great English manager. I have also not stated that Clough actually tried to teach O'Neil, merely that O'Neil learned while working under him, the same as Brendon Rogers and Karanka obviously have done under Mourinho. It would be difficult if not impossible not to pick up ideas working in such an environment, unless of course you were a brain dead Zombie.

    Please try to refrain from constructing strawmen arguments, its tedious having to address values that I have not professed, rather than the ones I have.
  9. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    08 Feb '15 11:281 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    His recent results are phenomenal. I like him, I hope you do it. You will become my new favourite team in England since 'arry has left QPR. One should not underestimate working with legendary coaches, Clough passed on what he knew to O'Neil and O'Neil has passed it on to Lambert and Lennon.
    'Clough passed on what he knew' That suggests that Clough is teaching, not that O'Neil merely learnt by association.

    I have no idea what a 'strawman' argument is. I do know what you said, and that you are now un-saying it
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Feb '15 12:254 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    'Clough passed on what he knew' That suggests that Clough is teaching, not that O'Neil merely learnt by association.

    I have no idea what a 'strawman' argument is. I do know what you said, and that you are now un-saying it
    If you know what I said then you should be able to point out where i stated that Clough as you put it, 'actively taught O'Neil to be a manager'. I did not mention how anything was passed on merely stating that it was. It could quite conceivably have been passed on by merely associating in close proximity with Clough, as learning by observing his example.

    The fact that you could not perceive this, probably because you have a singular belief in nothing but your own propaganda is not my fault but yours. Perhaps if you were not so assuming you may do better, who can say? I have also not 'unsaid' anything as you are now once again alleging. In fact I standby everything I have said despite your ludicrous assertions to the contrary.

    You should look up strawman and educate yourself and perhaps it will help you to refrain from assigning values to people that have not explicitly expressed the values you think or say they have and proceeding to build arguments on the basis of those assumed values.

    I doubt your career as a troll taunter will be very successful unless you can come up with a less transparent method of attempting to elicit an emotive response from people. All that one needs to do is confront you with logic and reason, ask you to cite evidence for your claims and your wagon is left floundering on the forum floor. Sigh such is the way of mere insinuations.
  11. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    08 Feb '15 12:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If you know what I said then you should be able to point out where i stated that Clough as you put it, 'actively taught O'Neil to be a manager'. I did not mention how anything was passed on merely stating that it was. It could quite conceivably have been passed on by merely associating in close proximity with Clough, as learning by observing his ex ...[text shortened]... u think or say they have and proceeding to build arguments on the basis of those assumed values.
    'Clough passed on what he knew' That seems to be a fairly stark definition of 'teaching'. It does not suggest learning via osmosis.

    Thanks, I have wiki'd the (Americanism) 'strawman'. You learn something every day. I don't think that i have reassigned your 'values'. You yourself are clutching at straws by trying to argue that 'passed on what he knew' is not a conscious act of teaching.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    08 Feb '15 12:33
    I you could add beer and deep fried mars bars to
    this thread, we'd be in Glasgow.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Feb '15 12:402 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    'Clough passed on what he knew' That seems to be a fairly stark definition of 'teaching'. It does not suggest learning via osmosis.

    Thanks, I have wiki'd the (Americanism) 'strawman'. You learn something every day. I don't think that i have reassigned your 'values'. You yourself are clutching at straws by trying to argue that 'passed on what he knew' is not a conscious act of teaching.
    are you saying that the only way to pass something on is by actively teaching someone? such a stance would of course rule out learning anything by observation. Is that really what you are saying? If not then your insistence that 'passing on what he knew' must constitute as you have said, 'actively teaching', would make NO sense.

    I have not said that I have reassigned any values, what I actually said is that you are assigning values to me that I did not and do not profess. If you cannot get that correct I don't hold out much hope for your career as a troll taunter.
  14. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    08 Feb '15 12:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are you saying that the only way to pass something on is by actively teaching someone? such a stance would of course rule out learning anything by observation. I that really what you are saying? If not then your insistence that 'passing on what he knew' must constitute as you have said, 'actively teaching', would make NO sense.
    how do you 'pass on what you KNOW'??? To know something is to have it in your head. You need to discuss it. Thence, teaching.
    You do not/did not say 'passed on his method' or 'passed on his management style', which I would allow could be learnt from observation.
    You specifically said 'passed on what he knew'. THAT suggests active teaching.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Feb '15 12:472 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    how do you 'pass on what you KNOW'??? To know something is to have it in your head. You need to discuss it. Thence, teaching.
    You do not/did not say 'passed on his method' or 'passed on his management style', which I would allow could be learnt from observation.
    You specifically said 'passed on what he knew'. THAT suggests active teaching.
    sorry i have failed to locate where you actually answered the question that was put to you. Here it is again, 'does passing something on exclusively mean that it must be passed on by actively teaching as you have assumed or are there other methods of passing something on, like passing it on by observing how someone works? Please explain.
Back to Top