I told my psychiatrist i was going to kill myself.

I told my psychiatrist i was going to kill myself.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Yes. What do the stats relate to? What country? How big was the sample? Is it a recent study?

Why not provide the link to where you found them?
To be sure we are on the same page here are you talking about this:

Well in Canada the Psychiatrist is paid alot more than the Psychologist.

I am assuming the Psychiatrist would be considered better, if you go by what they are paid.

-VR

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
To be sure we are on the same page here are you talking about this:

Well in Canada the Psychiatrist is paid alot more than the Psychologist.

I am assuming the Psychiatrist would be considered better, if you go by what they are paid.

-VR
No sir. I am referring to your statement:

"There however is a big difference in the amount of suicides by psychiartrists which are higher than psychologists. No one seems to be able to give reasons as to why?"

Please provide the link where you got this information.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
I completely agree especially where the rates are so high compared to the average from stats I've seen that may or may not be accurate.

Suicide Rates Among Psychiatrists. To the Editor.— A high suicide rate among psychiatrists (58 to 65/100,000 compared with that of the general population, 11/100,000) has been reported by the following: Freeman, Blachly et al, DeSole et al, and Pond.

-VR
This post of yours, for example, relates to an article in 1973 and concludes with the words:

'Such conclusions cannot be more reliable than the data on which they are based. Because of the well-known under-reporting of suicide, the reliability of such data is low.'

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/347723

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
This post of yours, for example, relates to an article in 1973 and concludes with the words:

'Such conclusions cannot be more reliable than the data on which they are based. Because of the well-known under-reporting of suicide, the reliability of such data is low.'

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/347723
Suicide Rates Among Psychiatrists | JAMA | JAMA Network
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/347723
by DH Rosen - ‎1973 - ‎Cited by 11 - ‎Related articles
A high suicide rate among psychiatrists (58 to 65/100000 compared with that of the general population, 11/100000) has been reported by the foll. ... the general population, 11/100,000) has been reported by the following: Freeman, Blachly et al, ... DeSole EE, Singer P, Aronson S: Suicide and role strain among physicians .

In fact, the suicide rate for males was significantly lower than the rate for males in the general population at that time (i.e., 7.8 per 100,000 for psychologists and 24.9 per 100,000 for males in the general population).Jun 1, 2011
Psychologist suicide: Incidence, impact, and suggestions for ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3124780/

I see we are looking at 1973 compared to stats from 2011 for the two.

I didn't notice the difference in the years, so things may have changed....I will see if I can find something more updated. As you said this is older stats.

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
25 Jul 19
1 edit

A lot of people are killing themselves who have never suffered from any type of death previously.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
I didn't notice the difference in the years, so things may have changed....I will see if I can find something more updated. As you said this is older stats.

-VR
Obliged sir.

That article was actually written the year I was born.

😲

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Obliged sir.

That article was actually written the year I was born.

😲
I am assuming you are talking about the 1973 article which would make you around 46, still a young man in todays world. 😉

I will see if I can find later stats on the topic when time allows.

-VR

Moves
26 Jul 19

@executioner-brand said
because of the reactions to the forced medications. as it turns out these meds do not mix with cigarette* smoking.

nasty stuff in the mouth was the combination of mental health drugs and smoking that tastes like poison and makes you feel extremely unwell. waking in the middle of the night in summer in extreme sweats having constant cold showers day and night.
...[text shortened]... passed away by overdose.

thank god for cannabis which makes so many 'unbearable' things bearable.
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you tried not smoking cigarettes?

Do nicotine patches also lead to a bad combination?

I'm sure you know your own situation and are navigating it as well as you can, so wishing you well in any case.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Jul 19

@caesar-salad said
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you tried not smoking cigarettes?

Do nicotine patches also lead to a bad combination?

I'm sure you know your own situation and are navigating it as well as you can, so wishing you well in any case.
People with some mental health conditions (such as schizophrenia) who are smokers, will often have their dosage of antipsychotics reduced if they managed to give up smoking. (The reason for this is that smoking stimulates dopaminergic activity in the brain, reducing the effectiveness of the drugs).

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
People with some mental health conditions (such as schizophrenia) who are smokers, will often have their dosage of antipsychotics reduced if they managed to give up smoking. (The reason for this is that smoking stimulates dopaminergic activity in the brain, reducing the effectiveness of the drugs).
Are you qualified to say if someone has a mental health condition?

-VR

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
Are you qualified to say if someone has a mental health condition?

-VR
I used 'people' in general terms, not about any one individual. (Deliberately so).

And yes, I am qualified to say that. (Although don't see how that is relevant to me sharing commonly understood information about smoking and anti-psychotics).

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I used 'people' in general terms, not about any one individual. (Deliberately so).

And yes, I am qualified to say that. (Although don't see how that is relevant to me sharing commonly understood information about smoking and anti-psychotics).
Well because it actually sounded like you knew what you were talking about.

So you do work in the medical field. Probably why you took exception when suicides about phsyhiatrists and psychologists were brought up.

-VR

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
Well because it actually sounded like you knew what you were talking about.

So you do work in the medical field. Probably why you took exception when suicides about phsyhiatrists and phscologists were brought up.

-VR
I have spoken openly many times about working in mental health.

So yes, I do know what I am talking about. It's what I do for a living.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I have spoken openly many times about working in mental health.

So yes, I do know what I am talking about. It's what I do for a living.
Ok, I probably missed that along the way.

So what is your title at work?

-VR

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
Ok, I probably missed that along the way.

So what is your title at work?

-VR
Currently, I manage a mental health team here in London. (Outreach).

Rewarding work.