1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 12:19
    @torunn said
    There are good psychiatrists, less good and maybe even bad ones. Just like any other profession, you may find all kinds. But when we are in need of help and our situation and mental condition is more than we can handle ourselves, good psychiatrists are imperative.
    I think once your in the hands of a psychiatrist things have gone seriously wrong. Anything less severe than that and a good psychologist might be required, one of the best could be you yourself, or a friend / horse or cow that you meet in a field whilst out walking. Bottom line:- it’s good to talk.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 12:23
    @executioner-brand said
    since mental health professionals overtook the country suicides went over 500 per year up to around 700 deaths. is this why?
    the only thing that's changed is the collection of data,
    counting the people
    organizing the results
    publishing the information

let's all get scared of the things
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:10
    @kevcvs57 said
    I think once your in the hands of a psychiatrist things have gone seriously wrong. Anything less severe than that and a good psychologist might be required, one of the best could be you yourself, or a friend / horse or cow that you meet in a field whilst out walking. Bottom line:- it’s good to talk.
    I'm yet to meet a Clinical Psychologist I didn't like. 😆

But yes, talking to someone you know and trust is always a good start. (I personally discourage talking to random farmyard animals, although an understanding cow might give you a 'pat' on the back).
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:161 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    I get the jist of what you are saying. Doesn't have to be a horse or a cow, just talk about what ever problem you are having. Sometimes even a perfect stranger will do, and no they don't have to be perfect! 😉

-VR
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:23
    @very-rusty said
    I get the jest of what you are saying. Doesn't have to be a horse or a cow, just talk about what ever problem you are having. Sometimes even a perfect stranger will do, and no they don't have to be perfect! 😉

-VR
    If you are going to make a Freudian slip, then a thread about psychiatry is a good place to make it.

Gist, not jest.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:262 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    If you are going to make a Freudian slip, then a thread about psychiatry is a good place to make it.

Gist, not jest.
    Why thank you 2nd place finisher of the Prose competition!!! Well psychiatry isn't well looked upon in my neck of the woods. I think they are way over paid to be quite frank with you! 😉

Why do so many end up killing themselves?

-VR
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:381 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Why thank you 2nd place finisher of the Prose competition!!! Well phychiatry isn't well looked upon in my neck of the woods. I think they are way over paid to be quite frank with you! 😉

-VR
    You can't have a simple answer to such a complex question.
    And you will say: "Who asked for a simple answer?" 🙂

When you are unhappy about a problem you can't solve, or feel guilt for something you said or did, a chat with a trusted friend can be just what you need.
    If you are depressed and unable to cope with everyday life, you will need more help.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:42
    @very-rusty said
    Why thank you 2nd place finisher of the Prose competition!!! Well phychiatry isn't well looked upon in my neck of the woods. I think they are way over paid to be quite frank with you! 😉

-VR
    It's gotta be the stress.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:472 edits
    @torunn said
    You can't have a simple answer to such a complex question.
    And you will say: "Who asked for a simple answer?" 🙂

When you are unhappy about a problem you can't solve, or feel guilt for something you said or did, a chat with a trusted friend can be just what you need.
    If you are depressed and unable to cope with everyday life, you will need more help.
    I don't know if I would turn in that direction when I look at the stats on suicide rates among Psychiatrists.

If that is going to work for others fine, by all means go where you feel you can be helped and the odds are it will work by positive thinking that it will.

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 13:481 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    It's gotta be the stress.
    I completely agree especially where the rates are so high compared to the average from stats I've seen that may or may not be accurate.

Suicide Rates Among Psychiatrists. To the Editor.— A high suicide rate among psychiatrists (58 to 65/100,000 compared with that of the general population, 11/100,000) has been reported by the following: Freeman, Blachly et al, DeSole et al, and Pond.

-VR
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 14:44
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I'm yet to meet a Clinical Psychologist I didn't like. 😆

But yes, talking to someone you know and trust is always a good start. (I personally discourage talking to random farmyard animals, although an understanding cow might give you a 'pat' on the back).
    Lol a good Psychologist or Cow will enable you to talk to yourself for that is where the answers hide.
    If the Cow joins in the conversation then you might want to revert to a psychiatrist.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 14:501 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Lol a good Psychologist or Cow will enable you to talk to yourself for that is where the answers hide.
    If the Cow joins in the conversation then you might want to revert to a psychiatrist.
    Psychologist lower suicide rate:

In fact, the suicide rate for males was significantly lower than the rate for males in the general population at that time (i.e., 7.8 per 100,000 for psychologists and 24.9 per 100,000 for males in the general population). How the cause of death was determined in either study is unclear.Jun 1, 2011

Psychiatrist rate in a survey was much higher!....At the end of the day you may be better off going to the Psychologist. 😉

-VR
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 14:59
    @very-rusty said
    Why thank you 2nd place finisher of the Prose competition!!! Well psychiatry isn't well looked upon in my neck of the woods. I think they are way over paid to be quite frank with you! 😉

-VR
    Why are you in the woods?!

😴
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 15:02
    @kevcvs57 said
    Somehow I resisted a mother in law joke.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 15:102 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Why are you in the woods?!

😴
    Why are you NOT in the woods?

A peaceful place by the lake, quiet. I love it!!! Makes a nice retirement place for me.

A lot of my friends went to Florida to retire....I guess I like it right here in my little neck of the woods. Also our weather is just as nice as Florida sometimes even hotter which I don't like so much....LOL... I do enjoy the 4 seasons we have, also our medicare system beats the States by miles. Unfortunately people die there because they can't afford an operation. That is truely sad.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree