General Forum

General Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    19 Dec '16 19:37
    "To kick the bucket" is an English idiom, and one of the Serbian ones is "to drop the spoon". Another Serbian idiom which means "to die" is "to fart into the tub".

    English expressions:
    To bite the dust.
    To pop one's clogs.
    To by the farm. (Hm, it sounds as it came from a New Age guru, it is easy to imagine tunnel and White Light...)
    To peg out - very similar to Serbian expression.
    To snuff it.

    Now I am looking for Scandinavian expressions.
  2. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    10790
    19 Dec '16 19:393 edits
    'Trilla av pinnen' or 'trilla av pinn', vandervelde, have you heard that expression in Swedish?

    Also, 'ta ner skylten' and 'kila om hörnet'
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    19 Dec '16 19:40
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    "To kick the bucket" is an English idiom, and one of the Serbian ones is "to drop the spoon". Another Serbian idiom which means "to die" is "to fart into the tub".

    English expressions:
    To bite the dust.
    To pop one's clogs.
    To by the farm. (Hm, it sounds as it came from a New Age guru, it is easy to imagine tunnel and White Light...)
    To peg out - v ...[text shortened]... y similar to Serbian expression.
    To snuff it.

    Now I am looking for Scandinavian expressions.
    To kark it.
  4. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    19 Dec '16 20:04
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    "To kick the bucket" is an English idiom, and one of the Serbian ones is "to drop the spoon". Another Serbian idiom which means "to die" is "to fart into the tub".

    English expressions:
    To bite the dust.
    To pop one's clogs.
    To by the farm. (Hm, it sounds as it came from a New Age guru, it is easy to imagine tunnel and White Light...)
    To peg out - v ...[text shortened]... y similar to Serbian expression.
    To snuff it.

    Now I am looking for Scandinavian expressions.
    'To buy the farm ' is American.
    During WW2 a lot of American pilots crashed into farms.The American government paid the farmer compensation, so the pilot literally bought the farm.ie allowed the farmer to pay off his loan on the farm.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    19 Dec '16 20:21
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    'To buy the farm ' is American.
    During WW2 a lot of American pilots crashed into farms.The American government paid the farmer compensation, so the pilot literally bought the farm.ie allowed the farmer to pay off his loan on the farm.
    I don't think so.

    Wiki reckons exprssion wasn't used until 50's.
    Probably more to do with US pilots crash landing on US farms.
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    19 Dec '16 20:33
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I don't think so.

    Wiki reckons exprssion wasn't used until 50's.
    Probably more to do with US pilots crash landing on US farms.
    OK well I was just going by memory but similar sort of thing.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10591
    19 Dec '16 20:53
    Buy the tank top.
  8. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    10790
    19 Dec '16 20:55
    Originally posted by Torunn
    'Trilla av pinnen' or 'trilla av pinn', vandervelde, have you heard that expression in Swedish?

    Also, 'ta ner skylten' and 'kila om hörnet'
    Trilla av pinn(en) = fall off the stick
    ta ner skylten = take down the sign
    kila om hörnet = run around the corner

    ... someting like that
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    19 Dec '16 21:04
    Originally posted by Torunn
    'Trilla av pinnen' or 'trilla av pinn', vandervelde, have you heard that expression in Swedish?

    Also, 'ta ner skylten' and 'kila om hörnet'
    "At stille træskoene" = to die in Danish.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    19 Dec '16 21:05
    Bite the dust = at bide i græsset in Danish.
  11. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    19 Dec '16 21:17
    Throw your claw in
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    19 Dec '16 21:23
    Fall off one's perch

    Scandinavian when the parrot is a Norwegian blue
  13. Mar-a-Lago
    Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    8962
    19 Dec '16 21:25
    Pop your clogs. Dutch presumably
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    19 Dec '16 23:49
    To leave the world (Indonesian)
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322157
    20 Dec '16 00:27
    turn up your toes
    croak
    push up the daisies
Back to Top