1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 08:203 edits
    Cruyff is legend for sure, its perhaps better to ask is he the greatest European footballer and even then one is in a dilemma when one mentions Zidane, Best, Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, Cantona, Ballack, Charlie Nicolas, Lubo Moravcik and yes David Beckham (one should not exclude great players merely because they are English)
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 08:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Cruyff is legend for sure, its perhaps better to ask is he the greatest European footballer and even then one is in a dilemma when one mentions Zidane, Best, Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, Cantona, Ballack, Charlie Nicolas, Lubo Moravcik and yes David Beckham (one should not exclude great players merely because they are English)
    Beckham was great at set pieces, but never had the natural talent of Cruyff or Cantona.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 08:322 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Beckham was great at set pieces, but never had the natural talent of Cruyff or Cantona.
    He oozed talent! he was like the football equivalent of the longbow, not only set pieces possibly the greatest passer of the ball you or I are likely to see. Cantona was a football artist. Just out of interest who would you have as the greatest English player of the modern era? Moore, Charlton, Alan Hansen?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:13
    He oozed talent! he was like the football equivalent of the longbow, not only set pieces possibly the greatest passer of the ball you or I are likely to see. Cantona was a football artist. Just out of interest who would you have as the greatest English player of the modern era? Moore, Charlton, Alan Hansen?
    Alan Hansen?!
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:15
    ...one should not exclude great players merely because they are English...
    No, because to even think such a thing would dick-headery of the highest order wouldn't it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:171 edit
    If you calibrate for relative athetisism and speed of the game, I would have to put George Best at the top of the list.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Alan Hansen?!
    Its a joke that only Scottish football fans understand.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:44
    No, because to even think such a thing would dick-headery of the highest order wouldn't it.
    well if anyone knows dick-headery yo da man, I bow to your vast experience.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 09:451 edit
    If you calibrate for relative athetisism and speed of the game, I would have to put George Best at the top of the list.
    what about English player? George Best was Irish.
  10. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 10:41
    what about English player? George Best was Irish.
    well, Alan Hansen was Scottish

Des Walker, at his peak (the 1990 WC) was a truly great, under rated defender
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 11:13
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You can't mention Beckham in the same breath as Cruyff ,not fit to tie his shoe laces. The best English player I have had the fortune to watch was Trevor Brooking and Alan Hansen ( when he was a Scot )
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 11:174 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    well, Alan Hansen was Scottish

Des Walker, at his peak (the 1990 WC) was a truly great, under rated defender
    The perception is that he has shown a greater allegiance to England than to Scotland, but you would need to be Scottish to understand that. Des Walker, yes, defenders are often overlooked, except maybe the Kaiser, Beckenbauer
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 11:201 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    You can't mention Beckham in the same breath as Cruyff ,not fit to tie his shoe laces. The best English player I have had the fortune to watch was Trevor Brooking and Alan Hansen ( when he was a Scot )
    Trevor Brooking? what about Glen Hoddle, Trevor Francis, Kevin Keagan, Bobby Charlton and possibly the greatest evah, Paul Gasgoine, legend!
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 12:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who would be your two or three "best players in the world" since the Maradonna era?
    Come on then. I think it's safe to say that the 2-3 "best players in the world" who might arguably bridge the gap between the Maradonna era and the present day are NOT going to include any British players. 🙂
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 12:45
    Gasgoine, or Danny Mills.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree