1. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 21:25
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    You mean elite don't you ?
    I don't mean anything...that's a quote made by another.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm with Drew.

Clint, all the way.

Sure, he's moody, but at least he'll talk to you. John Wayne is more the "talk AT you" type.
    You are absolutely wrong. Just finished reading a story about Wayne. He'd take people he didn't even know that came to the set to lunch and sit w/ them and chat.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Clints movies were more interesting with more complex characters. Letters from Iwo Jima although not a western is a must see. Man reminds me of my old Nam days.
    I saw that movie. Though the skilled direction from Eastwood was apparent, I was still pretty bored by it. Don' get me wrong, I like serious period-pieces (Schindler's List is an all-time great, IMO). But that movie came up lacking to me.

Clint makes better movies; that's not disputable. But as far as playing a wild-west character, I was wondering who people preferred. Clint's characters were grittier but, but didn't seem as natural as Wayne's. Wayne (as someone pointed out) seemed to be playing himself, which is why he seemed more natural. Clint always came across as trying to be gritty. His movies were still superior, but as far as just the characters, Wayne always seemed more likeable.

Again, I'm only referring to their wild-west characters; not other types of characters played in non-westerns.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:13
    Originally posted by LEUR
    I don't mean anything...that's a quote made by another.
    President Trump, of all people.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:142 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    I saw that movie. Though the skilled direction from Eastwood was apparent, I was still pretty bored by it. Don' get me wrong, I like serious period-pieces (Schindler's List is an all-time great, IMO). But that movie came up lacking to me.

Clint makes better movies; that's not disputable. But as far as playing a wild-west character, I was wondering wh ...[text shortened]... y referring to their wild-west characters; not other types of characters played in non-westerns.
    Did John Wayne seem more likeable because people and things were more black-white then? Either good or bad? And his characters were usually good perhaps?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by Torunn
    Did John Wayne seem more likeable because people and things were more black-white then? Either good or bad? And he was usually good perhaps?
    John Wayne still played tough, no-nonsense characters, but not to the villainous extent that Eastwood did. Still, that's not what made Wayne more likeable. I prefer more badass characters like Charles Bronson in "Death Wish", over good-guy cop characters. This is why I like Batman more than Superman. Really, it's all in the portrayal of the character. I (personally) didn't like Eastwood's old-west characters as much as Wayne's (Except for Pale Rider; I think by this point in his career, Eastwood perfected the old-west archetype, and far outdoes any cowboy-like character done by Wayne in that performance).
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:49
    John Wayne still played tough, no-nonsense characters,
    I think that was him.
    He didn't play anything.

For acting ability see his bit part in The Greatest Story Ever Told.
    YouTube
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:561 edit

Clint makes better movies; that's not disputable. But as far as playing a wild-west character, I was wondering wh ...[text shortened]... y referring to their wild-west characters; not other types of characters played in non-westerns.
    period pieces? you make it sound like a BBC costume drama! 😛 Its about as close to an 'art film' as Hollywood gets. For real arthouse Janus films are the people.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/305-essential-art-house-50-years-of-janus-films-50-dvd-box-set
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 22:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think that was him.
    He didn't play anything.

For acting ability see his bit part in The Greatest Story Ever Told.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AejZxaYkekM
    I said earlier in the thread that Wayne played himself. He was naturally able to play tough characters.

Again, the OP isn't about who's a better actor or who's been in the better movies. It's only about who you guys prefer for wild-west roles. But, given that Clint's a much better actor with more iconic movies, I guess I should've expected everyone to side with Clint.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 08:39
    Wayne tended to be cast as simpler, more clear-cut, characters than Eastwood.

Think of Eastwood's ambiguous character in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" where you're never quite sure where he stands; whereas Eli Wallach's character is pretty easy to read, as is Lee Van Cleef's.

Wayne's part in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" for example, was pretty straightforward, the chivalrous self-assured macho, nicely complimented by James Stewart's more torn character.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 09:00
    I tip my hat in Eastwood's direction.

(Biggest cowboy though is my plumber. £260 to sort out a dodgy tap).
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 12:01
    Ouch, that's highway robbery.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 15:20
    I wouldn't be able to choose between the two. They were both good in the roles they played as far as I am concerned. I've seen pretty well all of both their Movies.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree