1. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 02:191 edit
    Just curious if anybody else here has had a "millennial moment"...

Ok, I'm not trying to insult millennials, but as a group, I notice the ones that tend to have low end entry level jobs, not all of them, but enough that it stands out over time...

I went to Walmart and at the deli counter, asked for 12 oz of pepper cheese and the 20 something girl at the counter weighed out 2 slices of cheese which came out to .13 pounds of cheese.

My last millennial moment before that came a few months earlier when I went to a fast food joint and order $5.69 meal. I didn't have a 5 dollar bill and didn't want a bunch of one dollar bills in my wallet so I gave the cashier a $10 and a $1, so that I'd get a a five dollar bill and change back. She entered the transaction for $6, instead of $11, so the register showed $ 0.31, and she became confused. She said she didn't learn counting in school. I had to tell her to give me a five dollar bill back.

Just curious if anybody else has had a "millennial moment".

It's not an everyday thing, but clearly there's enough of them that many older people have a low brow opinion of millenials.

Of course in 20 to 25 years, the millennials will saying the same stuff about the Z generation....
    πŸ˜‰
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 03:20
    @caesar49bc said

Ok, I'm not trying to insult millennials, but as a group, I notice the ones that tend to have low end entry level jobs, not all of them, but enough that it stands out over time...

I went to Walmart and at the deli counter, asked for 12 oz of pepper cheese and the 20 something girl at the counter weigh ...[text shortened]... course in 20 to 25 years, the millennials will saying the same stuff about the Z generation....
    πŸ˜‰
    This is how stereotypes are born.

People encounter one or two stupid people and embellishing the stupidity to encompass an entire generation of people. Need I say this is not fair or right by any stretch of the imagination?
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 04:11
    @caesar49bc said
    It's not an everyday thing, but clearly there's enough of them that many older people have a low brow opinion of millenials.
    I have a low brow opinion of arrogant snobs who have a low brow opinion of millennials.
  4. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 04:17

Removed by poster

5. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 04:23
    My last millennial moment before that came a few months earlier when I went to a fast food joint and order $5.69 meal. I didn't have a 5 dollar bill and didn't want a bunch of one dollar bills in my wallet so I gave the cashier a $10 and a $1, so that I'd get a a five dollar bill and change back. She entered the transaction for $6, instead of $11, so the register showed $ 0.31, and she became con ...[text shortened]... She said she didn't learn counting in school. I had to tell her to give me a five dollar bill back.
    Why would you expect some minimum wage worker at some horrible retail store to be your personal banker? These people take crap from the public while trying to ring up their purchases and yet are expected to 'keep the line moving'. If you can't handle the burden of too many one dollar bills then go to the bank and make the exchange.
    Better yet, take all those ones and use them for tips. Fling 'em around. Make it rain you cheap bastard.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 05:011 edit
    @caesar49bc said

I went to Walmart and at the deli counter, asked for 12 oz of pepper cheese and the 20 something girl at the counter weigh ...[text shortened]... course in 20 to 25 years, the millennials will saying the same stuff about the Z generation....
    πŸ˜‰
    What you describe is a generational phenomena not something which can attributed to millennials.

Some people are born with a higher IQ than others, others are born with more beauty. The world is not a fair place by any standards but I respect anyone who is doing their best to make the best of it.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 05:131 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 05:13
    @divegeester

When I told a couple of older folks in the neighborhood, after I'd started this thread, they chuckled and said my generation was just as bad. One said the older you get, the more you complain... about EVERYTHING.
    I wondered if he was exaggerating.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 05:25
    @caesar49bc said
    @divegeester
    One said the older you get, the more you complain... about EVERYTHING.
    Your profile says you are but a few days old in RHP terms; how old are you really?
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 06:46
    @caesar49bc said
    @divegeester

When I told a couple of older folks in the neighborhood, after I'd started this thread, they chuckled and said my generation was just as bad. One said the older you get, the more you complain... about EVERYTHING.
    I wondered if he was exaggerating.
    NO he was completely right.

as have been other posters here pointing out the realities.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 06:561 edit
    @Caesar49BC

I have an observation, for what it's worth. In my day, as a youth, I rode my bike to visit a friend who lived several miles away. We'd play chess or cycle together. It was a regular thing after school. Sometimes we'd plan days in advance to meet somewhere or go camping in the woods.

Nowadays, kids are constantly making and changing plans in real-time with smart-phone apps. They'll be chatting away (virtually, you understand, even when they're sitting right next to each other) in trams and buses and arranging in micro-seconds who's going to be waiting for them at which bus stop, then they'll all bail out two stops sooner because someone else they adore more is transferring to a different bus, and so on. It seems all so ephemeral to me.

One of those guys I played chess with in high school (this was 1970s) is still one of my best friends. I wonder whether the millennial generation will have any of the same friends two years from now.
  12. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 07:27
    @caesar49bc said

πŸ˜‰
    Its a tragedy that these kids go through 12/14 years of education and can't add and subtract.
    Just the same in the UK.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 15:12
    @moonbus said
    @Caesar49BC

I have an observation, for what it's worth. In my day, as a youth, I rode my bike to visit a friend who lived several miles away. We'd play chess or cycle together. It was a regular thing after school. Sometimes we'd plan days in advance to meet somewhere or go camping in the woods.

Nowadays, kids are constantly making and changing plans in real-time with sm ...[text shortened]... ds. I wonder whether the millennial generation will have any of the same friends two years from now.
    The ability to have friends is not connected to the technical means imho. There are milenials and elder people who seem to rely solely on the internet and those who don't not really a matter of age or generation I think.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 15:39
    @moonbus said
    @Caesar49BC

Nowadays, kids are constantly making and changing plans in real-time with sm ...[text shortened]... ds. I wonder whether the millennial generation will have any of the same friends two years from now.
    "One of those guys I played chess with in high school...."

I thought you were going to say, was still waiting for you in the woods.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '19 16:05
    @handyandy said
    I have a low brow opinion of arrogant snobs who have a low brow opinion of millennials.
    I've met Millennials, GenX'ers, GenY'ers, the Lost Generation... every generation has its problems and every generation has its imbecilities.

But only the Baby Boomers have collectively b@(!*#@ed up the economy and environment for their own children and grand-children, and have the gall to, to a man and woman, be arrogant and self-serving about it.

If we could take all the hatred that is aimed at the Millennials and dump it on the Baby Boomers instead, even then they would refuse to pay their dues to their youngers and betters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree