1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 10:57
    I worked two summers as a teenager in a junk-mailing factory. There was a machine which stuffed advertising flyers into envelopes and pasted printed address labels on the outside; it spit out several thousand of these per 8-hour shift. My job consisted in standing at the exhaust-pipe end of the machine, catching the envelopes, and sorting them by postal codes. I still recall a few of them: Rockville MD is 20851, and Mtn. View CA is 94040. This was before the U.S. zip code was extended by four more digits.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:08
    I just to be a DJ at a strip bar. Not joking.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:141 edit
    Fettling and painting bluebells and copper lustre onto jugs at the age of 20. The most interesting part of the day was listening to The Archers which was on Radio 4 at 2pm.

One day a fellow fettler and I got a bit creative and decided to make some clay turds and arrange them around the seat of the chemical toilet that was in a shed in the shrubs. The proprietor's wife thought they were real and said that the toilet had been left in a disgusting state.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:302 edits
    I used to shovel salt onto the roads and pavements from the back of a moving lorry in winter time. That was pretty rough. Working in a builders merchants was pretty mindless, just loading and unloading heavy materials. The worst though was working in a spring water factory, it was tedious beyond belief.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:322 edits
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    Fettling and painting bluebells and copper lustre onto jugs at the age of 20. The most interesting part of the day was listening to The Archers which was on Radio 4 at 2pm.

One day a fellow fettler and I got a bit creative and decided to make some clay turds and arrange them around the seat of the chemical toilet that was in a shed in the shrubs. The pr ...[text shortened]... etor's wife thought they were real and said that the toilet had been left in a disgusting state.
    If you think that's bad, you should check out the toilets on the beach of the Dead sea on the Israeli side.

THAT defines disgusting!

My most brainless job was right after I got out of the USAF, headed to Denver, got a flat for 10 dollars a month🙂 and got this job making house window screens. $1.25 an hour.

Got another job about 2 weeks later for 3 times the wages in a scientific outfit building and developing ground movement detectors, where you drill a hole for whatever reason and have a sensor at the bottom of the hole figure out if the bottom is moving around by a slushy Earth, a device called a borehole extensometer. At least it was interesting.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:46
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I worked two summers as a teenager in a junk-mailing factory. There was a machine which stuffed advertising flyers into envelopes and pasted printed address labels on the outside; it spit out several thousand of these per 8-hour shift. My job consisted in standing at the exhaust-pipe end of the machine, catching the envelopes, and sorting them by postal code ...[text shortened]... , and Mtn. View CA is 94040. This was before the U.S. zip code was extended by four more digits.
    So your the culprit! 😠
  7. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:521 edit
    My most brainless job was cutting out newspaper clippings and putting them into the appropriate folders at the Parliamentary Library at Parliament House in Canberra - got very tedious very quickly (which I can also say about many of the other jobs I've had)
  8. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 11:541 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I used to shovel salt onto the roads and pavements from the back of a moving lorry in winter time. That was pretty rough. Working in a builders merchants was pretty mindless, just loading and unloading heavy materials. The worst though was working in a spring water factory, it was tedious beyond belief.
    so... let us in on the secret! Did they get their water from a spring or from the tap?!!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 12:35
    Collecting the hair at a Kings Road beauty sallon - not joking.
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 12:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    So your the culprit! 😠
    *you're
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 13:01
    pool attendant...
    got the job by nepotism after i retired...

all day long i watch the ladies in their swimming attire as they attend to their progeny...
    and every now and again i blow the whistle...
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 13:08
    Delivering spools of thread to customers, within walking distance, of my grandfathers firm. Boooooring.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 14:42
    Originally posted by rookie54
    pool attendant...
    got the job by nepotism after i retired...

all day long i watch the ladies in their swimming attire as they attend to their progeny...
    and every now and again i blow the whistle...
    So you made actual money being a whistle blower. Nice.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 16:031 edit
    Originally posted by ptobler
    so... let us in on the secret! Did they get their water from a spring or from the tap?!!
    They got if from an underground spring. It used to run dry in summertime and we got sent home! I think it against the law to sell spring water when its not, surely?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 16:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    They got if from an underground spring. It used to run dry in summertime and we got sent home! I think it against the law to sell spring water when its not, surely?
    Don't call me Surely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree