1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 04:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "[b]The online disinhibition effect is a loosening (or complete abandonment) of social restrictions and inhibitions that would otherwise be present in normal face-to-face interaction during interactions with others on the Internet. This effect is caused by many factors such as: dissociative anonymity, invisibility, asynchronicity, solipsistic ...[text shortened]... Yes, JS. I mean online conversation. Benign or Toxic Disinhibitionism as this forum's obstacle?[/b]
    oops, that last message was supposed to be a response to this post... no, I don't mean this one, I meant the one this one is connected to...\\ *

Reveal Hidden Content
    pfft... oh, never mind
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 05:48
    Motive/Purpose Poll

o Some visit here primarily for conversation and to be entertained.

o Some to play word association games.

o Some to instigate discord and fight with clever words.

o Some for a combination of the three.

Q. Which one are You? (OP)

A. ?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 05:51
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    oops, that last message was supposed to be a response to this post... no, I don't mean this one, I meant the one this one is connected to...\\ *

[hidden]pfft... oh, never mind[/hidden]
    "The online disinhibition effect is a loosening (or complete abandonment) of social restrictions and inhibitions that would otherwise be present in normal face-to-face interaction during interactions with others on the Internet. This effect is caused by many factors such as: dissociative anonymity, invisibility, asynchronicity, solipsistic introjection, dissociative imagination, and minimization of authority.[1]

Contents
    1. General concept
    1.1 You don't know me
    1.2 You can't see me
    1.3 See you later
    1.4 It's all in my head
    1.5 It's just a game
    1.6 Your rules don't apply here

2 Possible consequences
    3 Popular culture
    4 See also
    5 References
    6 External links

General concept: Because of this loss of inhibition, some users may exhibit benign tendencies such as: becoming more affectionate, more willing to open up to others, less guarded about emotions, all in an attempt to achieve emotional catharsis. According to psychologist John Suler,[2] this particular occurrence is called benign disinhibition.

With respect to bad behavior, users on the Internet can frequently do or say as they wish without fear of any kind of meaningful reprisal. In most Internet forums, the worst kind of punishment one can receive for bad behavior is usually being banned from a particular site. In practice, however, this serves little use; the person involved can usually circumvent the ban by simply registering another username and continuing the same behavior as before. Suler calls this toxic disinhibition.[3]

CB radio during the 1970s saw similar bad behavior: Most of what you hear on CB radio is either tedious (truck drivers warning one another about speed traps) or banal (schoolgirls exchanging notes on homework), but at its occasional—and illegal—worst it sinks a pipeline to the depths of the American unconscious. Your ears are assaulted by the sound of racism at its most rampant, and by masturbation fantasies that are the aural equivalent of rape. The sleep of reason, to quote Goya’s phrase, brings forth monsters, and the anonymity of CB encourages the monsters to emerge.[4] Suler names six primary factors behind why people sometimes act radically different on the internet than when they do in normal face-to-face situations....." (italics and bold mine) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

Question: Originally posted by JS357 "The online disinhibitionism effect is a major obstacle, if you mean online conversation." Yes, JS. I mean online conversation. Benign or Toxic Disinhibitionism as this forum's obstacle?

Note: Forwarded as a courtesy to lemon lime.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 05:52
    [b]Motive/Purpose Poll

o Some for a combination of the three.

A. ?[/b]
    I pick "o" 😕
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 06:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 08:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ever feel like taking a week off?
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 09:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 18:55
    Another what? Another week of this?
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 21:45
    I am definitely the 4th 'o' and anybody who says they are not is a long word with a negative association.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 01:39
    Originally posted by kevcvs57

I am definitely the 4th 'o' and anybody who says they are not is a long word with a negative association.
    Motive/Purpose Poll

o Some for a combination of the three. <--- "4th 'o'..."

"I am definitely the 4th 'o' and anybody who says they are not is a long word with a negative association." -kevcvs57

Agree, kev, along with a 5th.....

o To gratify subliminal social needs and to vent personal offline frustrations on this Microcosm of Facebook sans photos.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 02:20
    o To gratify subliminal social needs and to vent personal offline frustrations on this Microcosm of Facebook sans photos.
    Thanks for that one. It's bad enough deciphering your endless tripe without having to look at your picture.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 06:44
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

Thanks for that one. It's bad enough deciphering your endless tripe without having to look at your picture.
    You're welcome, Andy.... are you also appreciating wonderful memories of winters past in December, 2013?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree