1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Apr '17 20:14
    There is reality, and there is our understanding of it.

The gods thing is kind of stupid. We need to grow up, if we are important.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '17 20:16
    Originally posted by apathist

Stay off the drugs.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 03:41

Two things puzzle me about your post. Your choice of forum, and which people you thought you'd be goading. Every monotheist could, should, and almost certainly would agree with your contention that belief in gods stems from a time when mankind was in a spiritually unredeemed or childish state.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 15:03
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Two things puzzle me about your post. Your choice of forum, and which people you thought you'd be goading. Every monotheist could, should, and almost certainly would agree with your contention that belief in gods stems from a time when mankind was in a spiritually unredeemed or childish state.
    I believe by 'gods' he was referring to the idea of God and his manifestations across the various religions, rather than a direct discombobulation of polytheism. In this vain he was conjecturing, I suspect, that even a monotheistic deity was restricting the development of an adult mind.

Pass the pickled eggs.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 15:44
    There's natural and unnatural and supernatural. Everything that is is natural. Things that abhor us we call unnatural, but that is, in reality, harsh and disgusting or repellent. Pick your own word. Anything mystical, magical and absent of evidence is supernatural. God and gods fall into that category.

This belongs in that other forum.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 10:29
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I believe by 'gods' he was referring to the idea of God and his manifestations across the various religions, rather than a direct discombobulation of polytheism. In this vain he was conjecturing, I suspect, that even a monotheistic deity was restricting the development of an adult mind.

Pass the pickled eggs.
    Deviled eggs are for Easter.

Not pickled... ewww, just say no.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 11:04

I heard this idea before that those who profess believe in a deity are childish. Maybe its true, I dunno, but so what if it is,
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 11:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne

An unpickled egg is a crime against humanity.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 06:50

Choco-eggs, anyone?
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 13:46
    Religious wars are people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend.

anon.
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 15:091 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Pass the pickled eggs.
    A seriously lovely piece of intellectual prose there, GoaD. It would not be out of place in 'Pseud's Corner' - can I forward it? 😉
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 18:09
    Originally posted by Larkie
    A seriously lovely piece of intellectual prose there, GoaD. It would not be out of place in 'Pseud's Corner' - can I forward it? 😉
    Be my guest. (Though I do tend to overuse the word discombobulation).
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 20:55
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Religious wars are people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend.

anon.
    If it were only about imaginary friends, I could turn a blind eye to it; to each his own. Oh, but it gets so much sillier, and yet at the same time more earnest, than that! Some people will kill you for putting a slosh of rum in your eggnog, or for going about in public with so much as an eyebrow uncovered, or for educating your daughters. Sheesh.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 23:27
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If it were only about imaginary friends, I could turn a blind eye to it; to each his own. Oh, but it gets so much sillier, and yet at the same time more earnest, than that! Some people will kill you for putting a slosh of rum in your eggnog, or for going about in public with so much as an eyebrow uncovered, or for educating your daughters. Sheesh.
    News flash: The people who would do such things aren't really the best representatives of their religion. They're just really not clear on the concept.

Just sayin'.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 23:501 edit
    News flash: The people who would do such things aren't really the best representatives of their religion. They're just really not clear on the concept.

Just sayin'.
    They're altogether too clear about the wrong things! It seems to me that certain personality types are drawn to extreme forms of religion, or extreme political parties, which advocate quick fixes and propose to rid the world of its problems by immediate and convulsive activism. As someone once said, a young man wants to die heroically for a cause, whereas an old man wants to live humbly for one. I wish all angry young men in a hurry to live to a ripe old age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree