1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 21:34
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I need another hobby. Photography, playing guitar and chess just isn't filling the gap.
    Have you tried laying on the Sofa watching telly, n making daft hobby suggestions to people.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 23:271 edit
    Golf - Tried it (never again)
    Sailing - Never appealed to me.
    Birdwatching - Again never appealed to me
    Mountain biking - I have a mountain bike but prefer to ride it on the flat. Hopefully I can get out more when the 'good weather comes'.
    There is a game called "Why Don't You - Yes But" that you could play. In fact you've already started.

http://www.ericberne.com/games-people-play/why-dont-you-yes-but/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis#Why_Don.27t_You.2FYes_But

Why Don't You/Yes But

The first such game theorized was Why don't you/Yes, but in which one player (White) would pose a problem as if seeking help, and the other player(s) (Black) would offer solutions (the "Why don't you?" suggestion). This game was noticed as many patients played it in therapy and psychiatry sessions, and inspired Berne to identify other interpersonal "games".

White would point out a flaw in every Black player's solution (the "Yes, but" response), until they all gave up in frustration. For example, if someone's life script was "to be hurt many times, and suffer and make others feel bad when I die" a game of "Why Don't You, Yes But" might proceed as follows:

White: I wish I could lose some weight.
    Black: Why don't you join a gym?
    White: Yes but, I can't afford the payments for a gym.
    Black: Why don't you speed walk around your block after you get home from work?
    White: Yes but, I don't dare walk alone in my neighborhood after dark.
    Black: Why don't you take the stairs at work instead of the elevator?

The secondary gain for White was that he could claim to have justified his problem as insoluble and thus avoid the hard work of internal change; and for Black, to either feel the frustrated martyr ("I was only trying to help" ) or a superior being, disrespected ("the patient was uncooperative" ).

Superficially, this game can resemble Adult to Adult interaction (people seeking information or advice), but more often, according to Berne, the game is played by White's helpless Child, and Black's lecturing Parent ego states.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 23:29
    I need another hobby. Photography, playing guitar and chess just isn't filling the gap.
    How about not collecting stamps?

A recently new hobby invented by some theists.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 00:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How about not collecting stamps?

A recently new hobby invented by some theists.
    Anumismatism.

It's one of my many hobbies that start with "a".
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '13 00:451 edit
    Originally posted by JS357

Anumismatism.

It's one of my many hobbies that start with "a".
    "Art, Antiques, Astronomy, Amateur Dramatics, Answering Questions, Airplane Spotting, Airbrushing, Airsofting, Air Sports, Acting, Aeromodeling, Astrology, Animals, Archery, American Football, Association Football, Asking Questions, Answerthons, Accordion playing." (19 more from wiki.answers) 20. Accepting Change; 21. Anger management; 22. ____ (lol)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree