On being a teacher

On being a teacher

General

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Dec 08

Originally posted by Palynka
You started your post with "actually", which implied a rebuttal of my post. What your interests are, is irrelevant to the value of that rebuttal.

ARE YOU HAVING FUN NOW?
Of course. All aboard for fun-time.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
10 Dec 08

I used to teach history. I had a history book. I simply read to the students from the book until i fell asleep and then had the janitor continue. Who needs lesson plans? The janitor got a raise and made more money than me. I went on to be a Prof at a highly rated Univ. Got a big raise. Had my graduate assistant read out of the book to the students while i smoked Salvia. What the hell's a lesson plan?

GRANNY.

iNOT A MORO!

tinyurl.com/3zbt6n3h

Moves
11 Dec 08
3 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Surely any qualified teacher, substitute or otherwise, should be familiar with all the state requirements before pretending to be capable of taking a class for even one lesson. You make it sound like substitutes are ignorant clowns.
They hire teachers who are not qualified all the time. I am not qualified. Subs are often not qualified. By this I mean many teachers and subs do not have proper credentials...we have "special" credentials that are given to us because the schools are so desperate.

The demand for teachers in California is HUGE and they take what they can get because the qualifications are so stringent and the supply of teachers is so low.

I guess I'm sort of qualified because I'm in a Master's program and therefore have an Intern credential, but I had never taken an education class in my life when I took this job. The Intern credential assumes you WILL take such classes as you work, not that you have...

iNOT A MORO!

tinyurl.com/3zbt6n3h

Moves
11 Dec 08
3 edits

Originally posted by smw6869
I used to teach history. I had a history book. I simply read to the students from the book until i fell asleep and then had the janitor continue. Who needs lesson plans? The janitor got a raise and made more money than me. I went on to be a Prof at a highly rated Univ. Got a big raise. Had my graduate assistant read out of the book to the students while i smoked Salvia. What the hell's a lesson plan?

GRANNY.
My school relies on the kids' 8th grade science test scores to provide funding. Thus we 8th grade science teachers are under more pressure than, say, the art teachers, or even the 6th grade science teachers.

By school year 2007-2008, states must also have in place science assessments to be administered at least once during grades 3-5; grades 6-9; and grades 10-12.

Our 6-9 grade testing is in 8th grade...my grade.

No Child Left Behind, however, requires assessments only in the areas of reading/language arts, math and science.

http://www.ed.gov/nclb/accountability/ayp/testing-faq.html#4

Social Studies and Art teachers can get away with more.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
11 Dec 08

Aren't teachers failed lecturers? Aren't lecturers people who didn't make the grade to go into business, go it alone, or even failed in business?

If so, I may well now soon become a teacher! :'( 😉

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
11 Dec 08

Originally posted by mikelom
Aren't teachers failed lecturers? Aren't lecturers people who didn't make the grade to go into business, go it alone, or even failed in business?

What?

STS

Moves
11 Dec 08

You may become a jerk if you're not already one.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
11 Dec 08

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
You may become a jerk if you're not already one.
Do jerks become teachers then? 😲

STS

Moves
11 Dec 08
1 edit

Do jerks become teachers then? 😲
Generally not, but a lot of students become jerks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.