1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 06:24
    24 years ago the siege of Sarajewo, the longest in the 20th century ended.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 15:00
    On this day, in 1860, Frederic the Pirate 'prentice was born.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 02:00
    On this date in 1966, John Lennon told a London Evening Standard reporter that "We (The Beatles) are more popular than Jesus now." The comment went virtually unnoticed in England but caused a great furor in the U.S. when quoted several months later. The outcry that followed reportedly contributed to the band's decision to stop touring.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 09:16
    @handyandy said
    On this date in 1966, John Lennon told a London Evening Standard reporter that "We (The Beatles) are more popular than Jesus now." The comment went virtually unnoticed in England but caused a great furor in the U.S. when quoted several months later. The outcry that followed reportedly contributed to the band's decision to stop touring.
    It was an unfortunate comment. My impression was that it was not meant the way it was perceived. It would have passed unnoticed in Sweden too.
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 17:18
    I remember that Beatles remark. It was presented in the states as if they were bragging about being more popular than Jesus. People thought that to be a bit arrogant.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 17:21
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I remember that Beatles remark. It was presented in the states as if they were bragging about being more popular than Jesus. People thought that to be a bit arrogant.
    It was very thoughtless - they were blinded by their fame and success.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 22:47
    On this date, Mar 05, in 1770, the Boston Massacre took place. RIP Minutemen
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 23:21
    @earl-of-trumps said
    On this date, Mar 05, in 1770, the Boston Massacre took place. RIP Minutemen
    Five rioters killed. (Hardly a massacre.)
    And the British soldiers involved were arrested and charged.

Coincidently on the same day in 1906 we have the Moro Massacre.
    US troops slaughtered nearly a 1,000 Muslim civilians.
    (And the US called it a "battle"! ... 20 US military killed)
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 06:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 06:25
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Well, you have really helped me learn chess so here is something I can give back. My sincere attempt to offer the chance to hear John Lennon's words through the ears of somebody from this neck of the woods (The two nations divided by a common language pit beckons but here goes).

This isn't it, but first imagine a youth from the centre of Boston who is tired of the incessant questions of out of town establishment reporters, so he answers them in the style of his sub culture from the Boston streets, such that you find you have to say to me 'that doesn't mean what it sounds like, that's just what the kids round here say to thumb their noses at people who don't get them'. It's about enjoying being a part of that sub culture.

Now listen to 'I am the Walrus'. In the background you hear a little voice 'are you really sir?' I hope this isn't presumptuous but I would be shocked if you could also hear the accent used, which is a scouser mimicking a straight laced, bowler hatted, establishment Londoner who holds pretty much all the cards and determines our destiny without even knowing us. The one card we hold is that he cannot understand us. That is the scousers' power. The establishment can only take literally the surreal outspoken metaphor, 'are you really sir?' We mock by making dry statements that are not really to be taken literally. Through the 80s Liverpool will go on to produce a disproportionate number of successful bands and artists with a surreal anti-establishment flavour. A famous scouse actor from that era will say, 'Nobody was telling you don't go in to acting, there were just no other jobs and apart from sitting in your room writing poems and music there was **** all else to do'.

We are The Walrus, but we are definitely not walruses and it was never our intention to claim to be.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 17:44
    @petewxyz said
    We are The Walrus, but we are definitely not walruses and it was never our intention to claim to be.
    Except for those tusks.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 19:24
    @handyandy said
    Except for those tusks.
    Okay the tusks and maybe the pelt but it stops there.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    07 Mar '20 00:00
    @wolfgang59 said
    Five rioters killed. (Hardly a massacre.)
    And the British soldiers involved were arrested and charged.

Coincidently on the same day in 1906 we have the Moro Massacre.
    US troops slaughtered nearly a 1,000 Muslim civilians.
    (And the US called it a "battle"! ... 20 US military killed)
    It was also the catalyst for the American Revolution so I'd say it was noteworthy

Why do you always pose yourself as an expert on America? You're not.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Mar '20 00:31
    @earl-of-trumps said
    It was also the catalyst for the American Revolution so I'd say it was noteworthy

Why do you always pose yourself as an expert on America? You're not.
    It was a slow and poor catalyst!
    It's main contribution to the war was its use as propaganda.

And I've never made any suggestion that I am an expert on America.
    But I am interested in facts and historical interpretations.
    And whenever you post I feel duty bound to check your facts!
  15. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    07 Mar '20 12:10
    @wolfgang59 And whenever you post I feel duty bound to check your facts!

You're full of crap. My facts are bang on. All you ever did was try to minimalize the event. And you FAILED

Any American history text will spend time on that period of time, pre revolution in the colonies, and speak about events that led up to the revolution. Without doubt, the Boston Masacre was a leading cause of revolution.

I don't want to hear your bull about "propaganda" because that is all _you_ have, propaganda.

You're a windbag inventing ways to cause smoke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree