1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 09:59
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What about online hatreds? If you can't have one, you can't have the other.
    I don't hate anyone.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 10:02
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    They do. I think I agree rather with the majority here.

If you are philosophically inclined you might ask for a definition of friendship. And indeed you can argue about what a real "friend" is. So my definition is a person you meet regularly (and via the net counts) and with whom you are sympathetic.
    You can go further and say a giood friend is someo ...[text shortened]... riend is someone with whom you have no secrets. (Spouses do count as best friends or so I hope).
    I'll wager there is not one relationship here at rhp, or indeed, elsewhere which is an online electronic friendship only which meets your definition.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 10:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    They don't exist. Remember that.

Best.
    What if you get to meet your online friend? If they travel across the world and invite you out for dinner?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 11:31
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    What if you get to meet your online friend? If they travel across the world and invite you out for dinner?
    Then they cease to be an alleged "online" friend, and become in reality a potential real friend.
  5. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 12:011 edit
    When you help a friend out who is in trouble he will
    always remember you next time he is in trouble.
    And I don't give a rats ass whether he is on the interweb or not.

Pip Pip
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    When you help a friend out who is in trouble he will
    always remember you next time he is in trouble.
    And I don't give a rats ass whether he is on the interweb or not.

Pip Pip
    Helping people out is not limited to real life does not necessarily denote "friendship". I have helped rhp people out but that doesn't make them my friend.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 12:58
    Helping people out is not limited to real life does not necessarily denote "friendship". I have helped rhp people out but that doesn't make then my friend.
    I have been helping everyone out on the Spirituality Forum for years, but's not made me many friends. 😛
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 13:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have been helping everyone out on the Spirituality Forum for years, but's not made me many friends. 😛
    FMF,
    You have only been here a little over 2 years as FMF, unless you been here before as someone else. Geeze, I can't imagine why you haven't made any friends!

-VR
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 14:45
    Helping people out is not limited to real life does not necessarily denote "friendship". I have helped rhp people out but that doesn't make them my friend.
    True. I'd say it (helping someone out) is necessary but not sufficient (to denote friendship). So what else is required?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 14:54
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    You have only been here a little over 2 years as FMF, unless you been here before as someone else.
    I have been here on this site since 2005 and posting on forums since 2007, so that's rather more than "a little over 2 years". Other accounts I have used for brief periods of time several years ago - although never simultaneously - have been John W. Booth and Nick Bourbaki (now my son's account)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 14:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    True. I'd say it (helping someone out) is necessary but not sufficient (to denote friendship). So what else is required?
    I think those who are our genuine friends meet certain needs - intellectual, emotional, spiritual - that we each have and they do so in a way that other people we interact with can't - or can't do so well - or can't do in a way which makes them seem indispensable.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have been here on this site since 2005 and posting on forums since 2007, so that's rather more than "a little over 2 years". Other accounts I have used for brief periods of time several years ago - although never simultaneously - have been John W. Booth and Nick Bourbaki (now my son's account)
    FMF,
    That was what I was looking for, you have had other accounts. 😉 Thank you!

-VR
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:03
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What about online hatreds? If you can't have one, you can't have the other.
    As you can see...
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:041 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think those who are our genuine friends meet certain needs - intellectual, emotional, spiritual - that we each have and they do so in a way that other people we interact with can't - or can't do so well - or can't do in a way which makes them seem indispensable.
    Bot,
    In my humble opinion if people come on here JUST to make friends. They lead a very sad life. I actually for one feel sorry for them. I've been here since 2006, only under the name you see, have never used any other accounts.

I've made a few friends along the way, but didn't really TRY, it just kind of happened!!!

-VR
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:15
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    In my humble opinion if people come on here JUST to make friends. They lead a very sad life.
    What proportion of the people here do you think do this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree