1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 15:10
    @wildgrass said
    Drugs can make you happy. I think characteristics like confidence, satisfaction and curiosity matter more than happiness.
    Drugs might make you happy for the moment, what about when the high is over?

-VR
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 15:30
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    What's your definition of happy then rusty- lasting, sustained contentment?
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 15:44
    @yo-its-me said
    What's your definition of happy then rusty- lasting, sustained contentment?
    Certainly not drugs or drink for sure.

My Wife, Children and grand-children keep me happy. Hell I even wake up each day happy. How many people can say that?

-VR
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 16:54
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    That's exactly why I was asking you to clarify what you mean by the word 'happy'. It's a bit ambiguous isn't it? It's not a great word, in my opinion.

Happiness can be faked and happiness can be bought with stimulants. Yes, for the moment, but what of it? Happy doesn't do time constraints.

Happy is probably best described as the opposite of sad. But many people are comfortable with sadness. If you're not I think you should be. Culture puts a heavy positive emphasis on the feeling of happiness above other things like contentment, compassion, empathy, satisfaction and curiosity. Moreover, an obsession with happiness means we can't embrace the benefits of sadness. Sadness can bring about acceptance (of circumstances or decisions). Sadness can cause deep relaxation and stress reduction and a connection with others (similar to the sentiment that 'misery loves company'😉.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 16:57
    @wildgrass said
    That's exactly why I was asking you to clarify what you mean by the word 'happy'. It's a bit ambiguous isn't it? It's not a great word, in my opinion.

Happiness can be faked and happiness can be bought with stimulants. Yes, for the moment, but what of it? Happy doesn't do time constraints.

Happy is probably best described as the opposite of sad. But many people are co ...[text shortened]... tress reduction and a connection with others (similar to the sentiment that 'misery loves company'😉.
    How does sadness affect the body?

Summary: Feeling sad can alter levels of stress-related opioids in the brain and increase levels of inflammatory proteins in the blood that are linked to increased risk of comorbid diseases including heart disease, stroke and metabolic syndrome, according to a study.Dec. 16, 2015

-VR
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 17:11
    @very-rusty said
    How does sadness affect the body?

Summary: Feeling sad can alter levels of stress-related opioids in the brain and increase levels of inflammatory proteins in the blood that are linked to increased risk of comorbid diseases including heart disease, stroke and metabolic syndrome, according to a study.Dec. 16, 2015

-VR
    Sure. You're referring to unhealthy sadness. There's also research on the positive effects of sadness.

Are there negative effects of happiness too? Yes. Happiness without merit, for example, is very bad for you. We're looking for emotional balance, satisfaction. There's your philosophy.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/four_ways_happiness_can_hurt_you
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 19:26
    @wildgrass said
    Sure. You're referring to unhealthy sadness. There's also research on the positive effects of sadness.

Are there negative effects of happiness too? Yes. Happiness without merit, for example, is very bad for you. We're looking for emotional balance, satisfaction. There's your philosophy.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/four_ways_happiness_can_hurt_you
    So you like to play Russian roulette to see what is going to happen?

I sure wouldn't to many risks involved there. If someone is sad they should get professional help, especially if they are sad for a long period of time.

-VR
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 21:27
    @very-rusty said
    So you like to play Russian roulette to see what is going to happen?

I sure wouldn't to many risks involved there. If someone is sad they should get professional help, especially if they are sad for a long period of time.

-VR
    Yes of course, the persistence of sadness in an irrational way is unhealthy. But now you're talking about pathology, not normalcy. But sadness is a normal human emotion. It is speaking to the larger point that parental happiness should not be linked to their child's. I would hope the child feels sadness, for example, if someone in their life passed away. Their sadness would not necessarily make me feel sad, as I would understand that their sadness is normal and healthy.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 22:03
    @wildgrass said
    Yes of course, the persistence of sadness in an irrational way is unhealthy. But now you're talking about pathology, not normalcy. But sadness is a normal human emotion. It is speaking to the larger point that parental happiness should not be linked to their child's. I would hope the child feels sadness, for example, if someone in their life passed away. Their sadness would not necessarily make me feel sad, as I would understand that their sadness is normal and healthy.
    Geeze , I wouldn't have known that had you not told me!

-VR
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 15:51
    @very-rusty said
    Geeze , I wouldn't have known that had you not told me!

-VR
    lol you're so smart.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 15:54
    @wildgrass said
    lol you're so smart.
    You do get (sarcasm) right?

-VR
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 23:47
    @very-rusty said
    You do get (sarcasm) right?
    Not (entirely). Explain it.
  13. Dublin
    Moves
    28 Feb '21 00:05
    @handyandy said
    Not (entirely). Explain it.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

( song by the Beatles ).
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Feb '21 04:28
    @instantkarma777 said
    Happiness is a warm gun.

( song by the Beatles ).
    Written by John Lennon, sadly.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '21 12:36
    Sadly, though part of living, mine have passed away. Was I sad? Of course but I also know that "it happens", to all of us and when I think of them now I have happy thoughts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree