1. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    01 May '13 01:02
    I browse profiles a lot in between moves. That's how I've made lots of the acquaintances on here that I hold to be of semi-value.

I think the new layout took several MAJOR steps backward on the Player Browser features and I sincerely hope they will be corrected.

1) Bring back the option to exclude players without photos. This was on the old setup. People who don't have photos of any kind usually are provisional, lazy, don't speak English or have no interpersonal ability. I'm not interested in any of those categories. A photo is some kind of visual representation and it's interesting to me to see what people put up.

2) Make it where the written profiles pop up automatically, rather than their winning percentages. What people say is often hilarious or interesting in other ways - and whatever nonsense is written is more interesting than a winning percentage. I'd rather meet someone interesting than someone with an impressive winning percentage, for God's sake.

The old setup had their typed profile AND their rank - which is all 99% of opponents want to see. If you want to analyze their percentages, that stuff is/was available once you click on their profile.

I hope these are helpful and given some consideration.
    CC
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 May '13 12:121 edit
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    I browse profiles a lot in between moves. That's how I've made lots of the acquaintances on here that I hold to be of semi-value.

I think the new layout took several MAJOR steps backward on the Player Browser features and I sincerely hope they will be corrected.

1) Bring back the option to exclude players without photos. This was on the old setup. ou click on their profile.

CC
    May I say that I object to your comments.

I am half Irish and half French and I live in Dublin City Ireland.
    Thanks to my mother my English is excellent and I can converse
    in three languages.

I am disturbed that you think that people who don't have English as
    their first language are lazy and have poor interpersonal skills.
    I have no photo on my profile either so I suppose that I too come
    under your list of people who you regard to be lazy and have no
    social skills.

I am very disappointed with your post and I am giving it a thumbs down.
    I would encourage others to do so as well.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 May '13 12:54
    The options are now presented when viewing profiles on "gallery mode". (The third view icon)
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 May '13 14:081 edit

1) Bring back the option to exclude players without photos. This was on the old setup. ou click on their profile.

CC
    Russ,

Is it possible to exclude people who make ridiculous generalisations, and seem incapable of recognising that not everyone sees the world in their own very limited terms?

By the way, you have my sympathies for some of the crap you are having to endure about the update. The organisation I run has just launched a new site, and I know the amount of work and challenges involved.

My website manager has devoted a huge amount of time to it, working late nights and weekends. I know she feels quite dispirited at times when people simply dismiss the hundreds of hours work she has put in as a 'complete disaster' simply because they don't like the colour scheme.

Anyway, well done, and I admire the good grace with which you are taking it.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 May '13 14:20
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Russ,

Is it possible to exclude people who make ridiculous generalisations, and seem incapable of recognising that not everyone sees the world in their own very limited terms?

By the way, you have my sympathies for some of the crap you are having to endure about the update. The organisation I run has just launched a new site, and I know the amou ...[text shortened]... olour scheme.

Anyway, well done, and I admire the good grace with which you are taking it.
    Why thank you! It's OK, I've been doing this for a long time, and I'm fairly bullet proof. I was expecting a strong initial reaction to the changes, and certainly got that in spades. My real concern right now is for those struggling with piece selection issues, which certainly wasn't anticipated. Those users, feel free to rant some more!

All the other feedback is all good where there is actually some value attached to the criticism. When the dust settles, it can all be taken on board and changes made if required. Despite the negativity, its actually quite nice to get it out there, a milestone, from which to work form.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '13 16:52
    Originally posted by Russ
    The options are now presented when viewing profiles on "gallery mode". (The third view icon)
    Thanks for this change, Russ!

I've taken to viewing players' profiles this way when I'm on and have a spare moment.

I like that I can have the Player List default to Gallery List and still have My Games default to Compact List.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    01 May '13 20:08

1) Bring back the option to exclude players without photos. This was on the old setup. ...[text shortened]... ou click on their profile.

CC
    My Settings, site Settings, stalker Mode, click box that says on.
    You're welcome.
  8. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    01 May '13 23:17
    Russ - the suggestions I put forth were acted on - perhaps even as a result of my asking for them.

Thanks for your hard work and devotion to customer service.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 May '13 00:24
    It's good to know some here can take a joke, and not get all butt hurt. 🙂
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '13 08:151 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't think anyone suggested censoring you.

But PMing me to call me "a spineless fascist" and a "hyper-sensitive eunuch" and criticising my parenting skills was a bit strong, don't you think?

Is this what 'growing a pair' means?
  12. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    02 May '13 09:58
    WTF does "is it possible to exclude" mean in your opinion? To me - that means censorship.

I don't believe in censorship especially for reasonable site suggestions on a chess site - which for the record, they enacted.

If you don't have the guts to stand by your words - maybe you shouldn't shoot off your mouth so fast.

But winning an argument with you is like winning a race at the Special Olympics. Yeah, I won but I'm a retard for having participated in the first place.

Russ - thanks again for your help.

Best wishes and happy chessing to all.
  13. Joined
    25 Apr '13
    Moves
    02 May '13 10:03
    People who don't have photos of any kind usually are provisional, lazy, don't speak English or have no interpersonal ability. I'm not interested in any of those categories. A photo is some kind of visual representation and it's interesting to me to see what people put up.
    I think your generalising people here, i speak English and the reason i don't have a photo up or a witty comment in my profile is because i haven't found a pic as yet, or thought of a comment to include.

But the number one reason is that recently had brain surgery and using chess as a means of rehab, i'm not lazy!

Thank you.
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '13 10:182 edits
    WTF does "is it possible to exclude" mean in your opinion? To me - that means censorship.

I don't believe in censorship especially for reasonable site suggestions on a chess site - which for the record, they enacted.

If you don't have the guts to stand by your words - maybe you shouldn't shoot off your mouth so fast.

But winning an argument wit rst place.

You were talking about functionality to exclude players within the browsing function.

I asked Russ whether hypothetically we could include an additional functionality to exclude people who made ridiculous generalisations. Have a look back and see the context. The idea that I was advocating censorship is just silly. I stand by my words completely.

Nobody but you mentioned the word offence, but your reference to the Special Olympics is deeply offensive.

Is insulting people with disabilities what it means to 'grow a pair'?
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 May '13 10:281 edit

But winning an argument wit rst place.

About the R-word Campaign

Special Olympics strives to gain respect and acceptance for individuals with disabilities worldwide. Our organization is taking a stand against the r-word, retard, with the R-word Campaign. The goals of the campaign are to communicate the hurtful nature of the r-word and remove it from daily use. As part of the campaign we are also striving to educate people about what it means to have a disability and how using the r-word supports a negative stereotype.

The r-word, retard, is slang for the term mental retardation. Mental retardation was what doctors, psychologists, and other professionals used to describe people with significant intellectual impairment.

Today the r-word has become a common word used by society as an insult for someone or something stupid. For example, you might hear someone say, That is so retarded or Don t be such a retard. When used in this way, the r-word can apply to anyone or anything, and is not specific to someone with a disability.

But, even when the r-word is not said to harm someone with a disability, it is hurtful.

Source : Special Olympics website

I don't suppose it matters to you, but I thought you should know how offensive your words were.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree