1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 19:20
    Anyone have this pop up add come up on your screen telling you to install System Doctor?

I click Cancel, but it just goes to their site and takes me outta RHP.

BOOO😞
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 19:59
    Originally posted by uzless
    Anyone have this pop up add come up on your screen telling you to install System Doctor?

BOOO😞
    Whats a pop up?

Oh yes, now I remember, its one of these annoying things you have to put up with if you don't have a star.

🙂
  3. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 20:29

BOOO😞
    Go to -

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

You can download a hosts file from there that associates a load of annoying / malicious / generally bad websites with your own pc. It basically blocks these things from going anywhere, stops tracking cookies etc. etc.

Spybot (http://www.spybot.info) has a tool that does the same job.

You could always sign-up for here though - It's a lot less hassle.
  4. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 20:36
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Whats a pop up?

Oh yes, now I remember, its one of these annoying things you have to put up with if you don't have a star.

🙂
    I'm a non-sub using IE and have never had such a popup from RHP.

Run "adaware" and "spybot" would be my advice.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 20:42
    System Doctor is listed as a Rogue spyware scanner.

Use this removal tool and avoid the site where you got it unless you have protection [as mentioned above]

Smitfraud.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/smitfraudfix.php
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 21:54
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Use this removal tool and avoid the site where you got it unless you have protection [as mentioned above]

Smitfraud.
    It popped up while I was surfing this site!
  7. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 22:21
    its not while you were surfing the site, the pop up works on a timer, you could have been on any website... its been edited either into your exployer.exe file or into the system registry... like someone said, download spybot or adaware and do a scan that should get rid of it, if it doesnt, delete all cookies and delete all files (offline too) and do a system restore on your system back to a time when you didnt have the pop up... if its still there... download mozilla and surf the net through that... if its still there.... back up all data and reinstall operating system... if its still there.... thats one committed popup
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 23:21

BOOO😞
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic58656.html

D
  9. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '07 05:04

Smitfraud.
    I tried this site and it said I had 750 intrusions, but it will only delete them if I buy their product!

I know I don't have that many intrusions. I run two excellent anti-spyware programs and they say I have none.

So this is an outright SCAM guys! Why are you recommending a program that uses a scare scam to sell it's software?
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '07 05:16
    Originally posted by arrakis
    I tried this site and it said I had 750 intrusions, but it will only delete them if I buy their product!

I know I don't have that many intrusions. I run two excellent anti-spyware programs and they say I have none.

So this is an outright SCAM guys! Why are you recommending a program that uses a scare scam to sell it's software?
    "SmitFraudFix is a tool that S!Ri created to remove rogue anti-spyware applications that utilize Trojans to issue fake taskbar security alerts or that change your background in order to scare you into purchasing the full commercial version of their software.. "

It's freeware - they're not selling anything, I've used this several times - never heard of that - in fact it's used specifically to remove programs that do as you describe.
  11. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '07 05:17
    I have a pop up blocker. I don't even have it on, and I never get popup ads. 😕
  12. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '07 15:12
    "SmitFraudFix is a tool that S!Ri created to remove rogue anti-spyware applications that utilize Trojans to issue fake taskbar security alerts or that change your background in order to scare you into purchasing the full commercial version of their software.. "

It's freeware - they're not selling anything, I've used this several times - neve ...[text shortened]... heard of that - in fact it's used specifically to remove programs that do as you describe.
    Here's how that website works. If a person goes to that site and clicks on the upper left corner which says:

Fix Remove spyware.exe
    Download a Free Scan Tool & Fix
    Remove spyware.exe Instantly!

Then the scam program loads. You run it and it says you have 750 errors, but only the registered version will correct them. So the website that promotes the program you are talking about also promotes two other programs, the first one is definitely a scam.

The program you recommend is last on the list. Anyone visiting this site should avoid the first one.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '07 15:30
    Originally posted by arrakis
    Here's how that website works. If a person goes to that site and clicks on the upper left corner which says:

Fix Remove spyware.exe
    Download a Free Scan Tool & Fix
    Remove spyware.exe Instantly!

Then the scam program loads. You run it and it says you have 750 errors, but only the registered version will correct them. So the website that promotes the p ...[text shortened]... rogram you recommend is last on the list. Anyone visiting this site should avoid the first one.
    I can see the Google Advert that you mean now if I look at the link in IE - it is not in view with Firefox so I didn't even know the advert was there. But that is exactly the sort of thing that the Smitfraud program removes.
    Theres an even easier one called Rogue Fix that only takes a few minutes to clean these programs off your computer.

http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree