1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 08:33
    @petewxyz said
    For all my worries about individual freedoms I've got to admit cameras are a part of keeping violence out of football, different world and better compared to the 70s and 80s.
    I'd rather live with civilized people who don't get violent in the first place, than have to live with silent policemen on every streetlamp recording everything.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 09:092 edits
    @moonbus said
    I'd rather live with civilized people who don't get violent in the first place, than have to live with silent policemen on every streetlamp recording everything.
    Change the people is always the more desirable, but even the most charismatic leaders in history only changed some of the people some of the time! Will the human race ever see a time when all the people want to manage their own violence for themselves?

It always feels unfair to curtail the freedoms of the many as a result of the misbehaviour of the few (undemocratic), but the few can make life extremely miserable for the many. This has been particularly true for football fans, but wasn't often recognised when it was acceptable to tar them all with the same brush.
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 10:53
    @petewxyz
    Second that, the 80's was a low point getting booted out of Europe, serious social & tribal issues back then, a lot of good came from that timeline but the acceleration in tech now🤷‍♂️ it's hard to keep up, or am I getting old🤔
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 12:20
    @hells-caretaker said
    @petewxyz
    Second that, the 80's was a low point getting booted out of Europe, serious social & tribal issues back then, a lot of good came from that timeline but the acceleration in tech now🤷‍♂️ it's hard to keep up, or am I getting old🤔
    Aren't we all?...getting old.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 12:45
    @great-big-stees said
    Aren't we all?...getting old.,
    Yes, we are - at least older.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 14:23
    @moonbus said
    What we'd like to have and what we get aren't always the same thing are they?

-VR
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 15:03
    @torunn said
    Yes, we are - at least older.
    and wiser ?
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 15:08
    @ogb said
    and wiser ?
    Not always some end up with cognitive issues unfortunately.

-VR
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 19:34
    @suzianne said
    If you need another reason to be afraid, go watch a TV show called "Person of Interest". I think it's still on Netflix. It explores the idea of the surveillance state.
    just watched four episodes..and enjoyed them. Like u said, lots of references to High-end technology tracking people...
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 21:34
    @ogb said
    just watched four episodes..and enjoyed them. Like u said, lots of references to High-end technology tracking people...
    Where have you been, it has been going on for years you carry a tracking device with you if you have a mobile phone.

-VR
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 21:391 edit
    @ogb said
    and wiser ?
    Not sure about that, but we have less opportunities to be crazy.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jun '20 21:431 edit
    @torunn said
    No sure about that, but we have less opportunities to be crazy.
    We can still say crazy things and not be concerned about what others think, or at least some of us can! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree