1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 17:44
    "When the internet first got kicking, some scholars of democracy and civil society thought that online discussions could create what they called a "conversational democracy”: an ongoing town hall without bricks and mortar. But the internet may not be as democratic as they'd imagined, according to a study in the journal Communication Research. ["Civil Society and Online Political Discourse: The Network Structure of Unrestricted Discussions"]

Researcher Itai Himelboim gathered eight million messages posted to 35 political and philosophical newsgroups—like alt.politics.usa—over a six-year period. And he analyzed the connections among the messages. Turns out that 50 percent of all replies were directed at just 2 percent of people who started threads, and who thus came to control the discussion. And the larger the newsgroup, the more polarized this effect became.

But these newsgroup dominators weren't posting much original content. Sixty percent of their posts were just content lifted from traditional news sources like the New York Times. Which is good news for the news business, the author says. Because it means people still want someone else to search out information and deliver it...."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/small-group-of-people-dominate-some-11-06-13/

On consideration, I think democracy itself "may not be as democratic as they'd imagined" or IOW, that's how democracy works.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 17:491 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    "When the internet first got kicking, some scholars of democracy and civil society thought that online discussions could create what they called a "conversational democracy”: an ongoing town hall without bricks and mortar. But the internet may not be as democratic as they'd imagined, according to a study in the journal Communication Research. ["Civil Society a ...[text shortened]... mocracy itself "may not be as democratic as they'd imagined" or IOW, that's how democracy works.
    I don't see the link, correlation or conjugation, between "democracy" and equal distribution of commentary on Internet forum boards.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 17:582 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't see the link, correlation or conjugation, between "democracy" and equal distribution of commentary on Internet forum boards.
    One of many dictionary definitions of democracy: control of an organization or group by the majority of its members.

If you read some of the current active threads, you won't find many people participating in the "discussion". Does that mean that the active posters who have gained control are in the majority on this particular forum?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 18:01
    Everyone doesn't have a voice on the "internet forum boards" because not everybody participates. The loudest voices are often the megalomaniacs, the ones who seek to drive opinion. The small voices simply don't get heard. It is certainly not "of the people, by the people" and certainly not "for the people".

But it is what it is. There's really no way to "make" it a true democracy. Some voices will always be louder and more constant. Not everyone enjoys equal access to the internet, either. This is why the caveat should be respected that this [the internet] is most definitely NOT a "voice of the people". It's just a mish-mash of only the loudest voices, at best, and, in some countries, only the "official" voices, at worst. People need to be reminded of this more often.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 18:06
    On consideration, I think democracy itself "may not be as democratic as they'd imagined" or IOW, that's how democracy works.
    Democracy itself is fine. The majority of the time, it works.

Democracy, as filtered through the internet, is not a true democracy.

The differentiation has to be made.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 22:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Everyone doesn't have a voice on the "internet forum boards" because not everybody participates. The loudest voices are often the megalomaniacs, the ones who seek to drive opinion. The small voices simply don't get heard. It is certainly not "of the people, by the people" and certainly not "for the people".

But it is what it is. There's really no way ...[text shortened]... countries, only the "official" voices, at worst. People need to be reminded of this more often.
    Yes, a bit like being in the pub.
    Which is all this is.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 22:44
    This thread will be fun.

Now, watch the megalomaniac and his lap dog barking at it, either
    by regurgitating others' ideas or derailing it, mostly because they're
    portrayed by the OP perfectly.

In 5... 4... 3...
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 23:35
    "When the internet first got kicking, some scholars of democracy and civil society thought that online discussions could create what they called a "conversational democracy”: an ongoing town hall without bricks and mortar. But the internet may not be as democratic as they'd imagined, according to a study in the journal Communication Research. ["Civil Society a ...[text shortened]... mocracy itself "may not be as democratic as they'd imagined" or IOW, that's how democracy works.
    The internet empowers people, but it does so indiscriminately. 😛
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 00:03
    And Donald Trump's name hasn't even been mentioned yet !!

OOPS !!!

Sorry.😳
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 00:131 edit
    I think the distribution of commentary on a public internet forum is based on personality characteristics of participants, access, and (enforced) moderation rules, and the same is true of other media in which public communication occurs, so similar distributions should occur.

One thing I notice is that I have access to more extreme and more openly and strongly stated views on public internet forums, than I do on other modes of public communication like face-to-face, local call-in radio, editorial letters, etc. This might lead to more competing to be influential.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 05:36
    Originally posted by Seitse
    This thread will be fun.

Now, watch the megalomaniac and his lap dog barking at it, either
    by regurgitating others' ideas or derailing it, mostly because they're
    portrayed by the OP perfectly.

In 5... 4... 3...
    No, it won't last, it requires too much thought for those folks. Better to ignore it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 05:401 edit
    No, it won't last, it requires too much thought for those folks. Better to ignore it.
    Ouch! The post you were responding to was referencing me. You and I have had many a discussion that required plenty of thought! Perhaps you have forgotten and I have indeed become one of "those folks". :'(
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 05:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ouch! The post you were responding to me was referencing me. You and I have had many a discussion that required plenty of thought! Perhaps you have forgotten and I have indeed become one of "those folks". :'(
    News flash: You always were one of "those folks".
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 05:51
    I think the distribution of commentary on a public internet forum is based on personality characteristics of participants, access, and (enforced) moderation rules, and the same is true of other media in which public communication occurs, so similar distributions should occur.

One thing I notice is that I have access to more extreme and more openly and stron ...[text shortened]... ocal call-in radio, editorial letters, etc. This might lead to more competing to be influential.
    Do you feel that people who abstain from political discourse (and perhaps also don't participate in decision making) are somehow less part of a democracy than those who do?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 06:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you feel that people who abstain from political discourse (and perhaps also don't participate in decision making) are somehow less part of a democracy than those who do?
    Part of a democracy is having a voice and using it.

Democracy is not a spectator sport. It requires participation in order to work for all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree