1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 20:531 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    I agree. Maybe some people have special beer cellars?
    You don't?!

(Next you'll be saying you don't have a banqueting hall).
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 20:55
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You don't?!

(Next you'll be saying you don't have a banqueting hall).
    Beer doesn’t last long enough in my place to need a storage cellar. I like to keep it within reach at all times.
  3. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 21:143 edits
    I was in a house fire once.
    Almost 20 years ago I had a craving for fries/chips so I put some oil in a pot and put it on the stove.
    My girl needed me in the bedroom and when I was done helping her πŸ˜‰ I opened the bedroom door and a huge wave of black smoke comes into our upstairs bedroom.
    She starts making whimpering sounds so I run down the stairs butt naked and grab the fire extinguisher. I couldn't see anything but I could see the flames.
    So like a hero I put out the fire and go back to find her and she is still upstairs frozen in fear.
    I wrap a towel around me and carry her outside to a group of people watching and two firetrucks coming down the street.

The smoke inhalation affected me so I sat down to rest and when I look up I see three girls pointing at me.
    That's when I noticed they had a direct view of my manhood. Embarrassing. 😟
    The firemen come out and were amazed I put out the fire.
    The next day the fire inspector is talking to us and the landlord shows up screaming as he comes in demanding we pay for the damages.
    The inspector says they aren't paying for anything and he pointed to the ceiling.
    We all look up and he says their was no fire alarm replaced when the old one was removed so it's the landlords fault.
    The landlord didn't say a word. He just left and I shook the inspectors hand.
    True story.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 06:361 edit
    @patzering said
    I was in a house fire once.
    Almost 20 years ago I had a craving for fries/chips so I put some oil in a pot and put it on the stove.
    My girl needed me in the bedroom and when I was done helping her πŸ˜‰ I opened the bedroom door and a huge wave of black smoke comes into our upstairs bedroom.
    She starts making whimpering sounds so I run down the stairs butt naked and grab the ...[text shortened]... s fault.
    The landlord didn't say a word. He just left and I shook the inspectors hand.
    True story.
    I am glad you all got out alive. My brother was also burned out, at 3 a.m. The fire was started by his wife's ex, who had taken the precaution of draining the water tower before setting the fire (this was in a remote place in AK--by the time the fire dept. arrived, it had burned itself out). They got out alive, but lost everything. My brother got out with trousers on, but no shirt or shoes; slightly more than a towel.

Later, mom, sis, and I presented him with our boxes of family fotos from our childhood and told him to take whatever he wanted. He burst into tears in thankfulness. Memories matter, for those who don't store them in the cloud.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 07:20
    @torunn said
    Everything can be replaced, if not right away so at least gradually.
    In my handbag I have what makes my life continue at once: wallet and bank/credit cards, id, drivers licence, address-book, keys etc. That plus meds and phone should be sufficient for a while.
    Yes, the handbag is a must. My life is in there.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 07:24
    @suzianne said
    Yes, the handbag is a must. My life is in there.
    Is that where you keep the nunchucks?

πŸ˜†
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 08:15
    1. My Grateful Dead soundboards collection 1971-1977
    2. Ditto 1980-1981
    3. Ditto Summer 1989 - Spring 1990

4. I'd ask my wife to make my Zappa collection one of her 3 things.
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 08:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Important thread observation:

So far nobody has rescued anything from the kitchen or banqueting hall. (Although the whereabouts of Dive's non-human wife is uncertain).
    Since I am the only one home the cook and butler do not require rescuing.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 08:17
    wife
    guitar
    car keys
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 09:422 edits
    @badradger said
    wife
    guitar
    car keys
    The wife isn't at home, your guitar strings are broken, car keys fell in the manhole!!! πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰ What a hell of a day you're having 'badger' !!!

-VR
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 19:44
    @moonbus said
    Beer doesn’t last long enough in my place to need a storage cellar. I like to keep it within reach at all times.
    Now I'm thinking of storing my beer in chilled tanks on the roof, so it can be released to put out a house fire if needed.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 19:56
    @caesar-salad said
    Now I'm thinking of storing my beer in chilled tanks on the roof, so it can be released to put out a house fire if needed.
    Make sure sir it is a light beer.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 20:29
    @caesar-salad said
    You may just be adding fuel to fire depending the alcohol percentage in the beer!

Some beers are as high as 12-14 % alcohol.

-VR
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 20:52
    @whodey said
    1. Matches.
    Nice.
  15. The World
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Your hypothetical house is on fire and you (the only human at home) have time to grab just 3 things before fleeing the building:

1. The cat.
    2. Laptop.
    3. Wallet.
    1. My phone - communicating my predicament to people would be key.

2 My wallet - contains ID, access to cash etc.

3 Car keys - so I can go and meet up with my family.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree