General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    205635
    11 Nov '15 01:46
    I was down to my last quarter in a poker game and cashed out over two hundred dollars

    what's your story?
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    11 Nov '15 02:062 edits
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    what's your story?
    I was once asked to record audio material for the listening exercises in an English language textbook for junior high school here in Indonesia.

    I was asked what my fee would be. Because I knew the writer of the textbook, I said I'd do it for free, which had been my expectation all along. His representative in the meeting was a bit blindsided by this and so rang his boss as we sat there. He hung up and said that they would like to pay me for the recording sessions (which would take about two days). They asked me to name my price.

    I came up with a nominal amount - it was about $50 or something - and he rang his boss and told him. After making that call, he told me that I should ask for more; they were not comfortable with such a low fee.

    So I doubled the nominal amount and said that it would be more than enough.

    Another call to his boss was made. This time, the representative returned to me and suggested a figure which was about ten times the double-the-nominal-amount I'd suggested - and was now getting into the realms of being a handsome figure.

    I felt awkward - and showed it. The writer was a fairly close friend and the money was effectively coming out of his own pocket even if the money would technically speaking come from the publisher.

    The representative saw my reaction and rang his boss again. This time he came back with an offer of double the 'handsome amount. The two days of work would net me about a fortnights' worth of money.

    Weary with these protracted negotiations, I gave in and accepted their offer.
  3. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    56447
    11 Nov '15 02:40
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I was down to my last quarter in a poker game and cashed out over two hundred dollars

    what's your story?
    Mine (or my wife's) is a pretty good one. Many years back when my youngest daughter was only 18 months old (the other 3 kids 9, 6 and 3) my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Obviously a shock that shook me to the roots. Everything happened fast and she had an oophorectomy within a few days of being diagnosed and 12 months later was given the all clear (provisionally).

    She went down to the newsagents for something a few days later and thought as she had the all clear she'd buy a scratchy lottery ticket. As she was standing at the counter a little old woman pushed in front of her. The newsagent looked at my wife and my wife said to her to serve the old woman. The old woman purchased 2 scratchy tickets. My wife purchased the next 2 scratchies and won $50,000.

    This is honestly a true story. My wife is fine and the kids are grown up (except the youngest). If only the old lady had been patient and courteous she would have won the 50 grand.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    11 Nov '15 04:30
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    won $50,000
    "Won"

    Rrrriiiiight.

    😉
  5. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    56447
    11 Nov '15 06:05
    Originally posted by Seitse
    "Won"

    Rrrriiiiight.

    😉
    That's right........won........yeah.

    I take it they don't gamble over there in Iran? Oh....except with human life.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    11 Nov '15 06:11
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    That's right........won........yeah.
    I enjoyed the film American Pimp. Very much.

    I'm going to make a thread about that.

    Be right back, anime boy. Hang in there.
  7. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    56447
    11 Nov '15 06:22
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I enjoyed the film American Pimp. Very much.

    I'm going to make a thread about that.

    Be right back, anime boy. Hang in there.
    You do that. You're mighty good at starting meaningless dull and boring threads that no one gives a tinkers about.

    But hey go ahead, I have some pretty bad wind at the moment and that will be an appropriate place to drop it.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    11 Nov '15 06:26
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    You do that. You're mighty good at starting meaningless dull and boring threads that no one gives a tinkers about.

    But hey go ahead, I have some pretty bad wind at the moment and that will be an appropriate place to drop it.
    aaawww, his little fists clenched, his cheeks blushed, his
    baby chest bumping.

    it's ok, sweetie. here, have a comic. drunk daddy won't hurt
    you again. people at the hospital will be good to you from now on.

    😛
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    56447
    11 Nov '15 06:48
    Originally posted by Seitse
    aaawww, his little fists clenched, his cheeks blushed, his
    baby chest bumping.

    it's ok, sweetie. here, have a comic. drunk daddy won't hurt
    you again. people at the hospital will be good to you from now on.

    😛
    Dude, where's that thread you were gonna open. I really need to pass wind....urgently!!!
  10. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89251
    11 Nov '15 06:53
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    That's right........won........yeah.

    I take it they don't gamble over there in Iran? Oh....except with human life.
    What makes you think seitse is in Iran?
  11. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    56447
    11 Nov '15 08:251 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What makes you think seitse is in Iran?
    He probably isn't but he was flying the Iranian flag. He's changed it now to a Tibetan one. He's mad as a meat axe
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    11638
    11 Nov '15 08:39
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    He probably isn't but he was flying the Iranian flag. He's changed it now to a Tibetan one. He's mad as a meat axe
    Please sir, do not be unkind to meat axes.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    11 Nov '15 09:31
    I put an invoice in for work that I had done on an old building built around 1665. The proprietors looked at my invoice and said, no that cannot be correct and added another £50 on top of my invoice figure stating that I had worked very hard all day and was entitled to more. I skipped away gleefully. It is not the first time that people have complained that my prices are too low!
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Joined
    14 Nov '09
    Moves
    352200
    11 Nov '15 10:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I put an invoice in for work that I had done on an old building built around 1665. The proprietors looked at my invoice and said, no that cannot be correct and added another £50 on top of my invoice figure stating that I had worked very hard all day and was entitled to more. I skipped away gleefully. It is not the first time that people have complained that my prices are too low!
    i did work for a company years ago, was due £600, they transferred £60,000 in to my business account instead

    my accountant told me to say nothing but dont spend it, almost 8 months later at their end of year accounts they noticed, i paid it back but kept the interest...
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    11 Nov '15 17:27
    Originally posted by roma45
    i did work for a company years ago, was due £600, they transferred £60,000 in to my business account instead

    my accountant told me to say nothing but dont spend it, almost 8 months later at their end of year accounts they noticed, i paid it back but kept the interest...
    Sound business advice! if a little sharp.
Back to Top