1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 15:44
    Income and job satisfaction aside, to what degree is your life beholden to rewards and punishments meted out by external parties?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 16:47
    Non besides the practical, i.e. mortgage, food, etc.

Psychologically, I punish and reward myself. I have enough with the wardens
    around the prison of my mind.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 19:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Income and job satisfaction aside, to what degree is your life beholden to rewards and punishments meted out by external parties?
    Zero.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 20:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    To a huge degree, for me.
    When I say huge, I mean a surprisingly big amount, a surprise to me, in that looking abstractly at my life, I can see living it without the people sharing it would be pants.

Punishments in this definition being marriage partner desertion, sulking offspring and sharing in loved ones pain that I can't alleviate.

Rewards here being spending time with loved ones, sharing in thier joy, being me with them (the freedom).

Really where dose finances get you? IMO money can only take your happiness so far: it has its limits. Same for carer too, really. Believe me I love my job. Using my brain is very rewarding, but that positive feeling has a ceiling: it is rewarding up to a point & not as far as a night out with my friends.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 20:491 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Big time. But I have a cunning plan...
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 20:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Big time. But I have a cunning plan...
    Is that you Baldrick?!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 20:55
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Is that you Baldrick?!
    Ah, my Lord...
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 21:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Ah, my Lord...
    Yes. Tell me, is this the plan which painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'?
    I do hope so.
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 21:21
    Music is a beautiful reward.

Infact isn't everything that exists a variation of reward or not reward?
    Spotting a flower on the path, enduring muddy feet, watching a sunset, walking home in rain soaked clothes. Seeing a lamb run on the downs. Waiting on a windy train platform for another hour because there's a delay.
    What is life if not a multitude of moments, running in succession of a juxtaposition of reward and punishment?
  10. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 21:38
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Non besides the practical, i.e. mortgage, food, etc.

Psychologically, I punish and reward myself. I have enough with the wardens
    around the prison of my mind.
    If its a beautiful day, your health is enjoyable, your loved ones are all content and you have music to play which feeds your soul; but for some reason you're going to punish yourself. I am curious, what will you do to do that?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 21:40
    Infact isn't everything that exists a variation of reward or not reward?
    Yes I think so. And I think people can get so used to them being there that they forget.
  12. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 22:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am very self motivated and really have no one in a position (other than authorities and the like) to reward or punish me.
    It is lonely yes but I am a true lone wolf.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 22:46
    Originally posted by Gambrel
    I am very self motivated and really have no one in a position (other than authorities and the like) to reward or punish me.
    It is lonely yes but I am a true lone wolf.
    What about health, nature, weather. The good stuff.
    How loan is a lone wolf? There must have been parents at some point? And grandparents? Cousins? Friends? Neighbours? Collegues?
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 23:22
    If its a beautiful day, your health is enjoyable, your loved ones are all content and you have music to play which feeds your soul; but for some reason you're going to punish yourself. I am curious, what will you do to do that?
    When it is an awful day, health is cracking, loved ones are gone or evaporating
    in a whirlwind of misfortune and illness, and all the music at hand is from
    Diamanda Galás... and, you know, deep inside yourself, that you just did not
    enough to soak in when the time was good, and you couldn't avoid the downfall
    of everything you hold dear and precious. Because, after all, everything and
    everyone declines and eventually succumbs to the cruel tornado of the clock
    arms; and we all end up alone and forgotten, as life is nothing but a whisper.

Life. Is. pain. Isn't knowing that, every single conscious second of one's
    existence, the truest of punishments?
  15. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 06:56
    Originally posted by Seitse
    When it is an awful day, health is cracking, loved ones are gone or evaporating
    in a whirlwind of misfortune and illness, and all the music at hand is from
    Diamanda Galás... and, you know, deep inside yourself, that you just did not
    enough to soak in when the time was good, and you couldn't avoid the downfall
    of everything you hold dear and precious. Bec ...[text shortened]... sn't knowing that, every single conscious second of one's
    existence, the truest of punishments?
    Sounds like you're saying you are pessimistic Seiste. Not in control of your rewards and punishments. In control of your reaction, yes, for sure, as are we all. And we're all responsible for our own happiness.
    Yes one day we'll expire, bit on all the other days we won't.
    "Life Is Pain"?
    Life is so many more adjectives than pain. There are people out there who enjoy pain. I don't date those people because that's messed up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree