General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    20 Feb '16 05:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    For me, I 'd say ~ more or less ~ since about 2008 when I built a house (at last) and shed certain kinds of work that I didn't want to do anymore. There was plenty of self-actualization going on - and sometimes not going on, or undoing itself - prior to that, but I have been on a satisfying plateau for some time.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    20 Feb '16 06:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    One day at a time.
  3. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89251
    20 Feb '16 07:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Circumstances have caused drift in recent times but I am back on course now. I hope. 🙂
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326100
    20 Feb '16 08:07
    How do you define self-actualisation? Does it simply mean being oneself?
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    20 Feb '16 08:29
    Originally posted by Startreader
    How do you define self-actualisation? Does it simply mean being oneself?
    I imagine drewnogal is using the word in its conventional meaning otherwise she would have said. 🙂
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    20 Feb '16 09:00
    Seriously, I found contentment the day I realized one should not expect absolutely
    nothing from life.

    I do what I can and keep on moving without looking back. If good stuff happens, I
    enjoy it. If bad stuff happens then I am never disappointed.

    There is no purpose to life, to be honest.
  7. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89251
    20 Feb '16 09:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes I agree. For me it's also become important to live in the moment as much as possible; something I find very difficult to do. I am too often worrying about the future or concerning myself about the past. Not good.
  8. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89251
    20 Feb '16 09:02
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Seriously, I found contentment the day I realized one should not expect absolutely
    nothing from life.

    I do what I can and keep on moving without looking back. If good stuff happens, I
    enjoy it. If bad stuff happens then I am never disappointed.

    There is no purpose to life, to be honest.
    Is the double negative in your first sentence intended? It changes the meaning completely.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    20 Feb '16 09:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is the double negative in your first sentence intended? It changes the meaning completely.
    I'm that enigmatic. And idiomatic too. I kid you not.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326100
    20 Feb '16 09:06
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Mmmmm. As I thought, it seems to mean being oneself.

    Forgive me, I tend to resist and dislike jargon.

    I very much like the question, redefined as being oneself. Being true to oneself. FMF's rather amusing and typically trying-too-hard-to-be-disdainful (showing off) comment suggests his familiarity with a world of new-speak and jargon. I'll stick to real old-fashioned English. Can you imagine Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins discussing self-actualisation? Or Elizabeth Bennett? Or David Copperfield?

    As such, I'll get back to it a little later when I get a moment. Interesting question - redefined - drewnogal! 🙂
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    20 Feb '16 09:121 edit
    Originally posted by Startreader
    Mmmmm. As I thought, it seems to mean being oneself.

    Forgive me, I tend to resist and dislike jargon.
    Maybe you need to think of it as a normal word that is useful rather than label it "jargon". One can be caught up in "being oneself" without there being fulfillment of one's talents and potential, which is what the term self-actualization refers to. It's a word whose etymology stretches back 75 years.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    20 Feb '16 09:26
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I do quite a lot of work for organizations here that seek to empower women to self-actualize even while living amid strong patriarchal traditions and cultural expectations. How this is brought about encompasses a range of things that need attention, from tackling domestic violence, to maternal and reproductive health, political literacy with regard to rights and social entitlements (as well as advocacy, activism and participation in alternative media), and entrepreneurial and management skills.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326100
    20 Feb '16 09:41
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Seriously, I found contentment the day I realized one should not expect absolutely
    nothing from life.

    I do what I can and keep on moving without looking back. If good stuff happens, I
    enjoy it. If bad stuff happens then I am never disappointed.

    There is no purpose to life, to be honest.
    I like that, Seitse! 🙂
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326100
    20 Feb '16 09:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe you need to think of it as a normal word that is useful rather than label it "jargon". One can be caught up in "being oneself" without there being fulfillment of one's talents and potential, which is what the term self-actualization refers to. It's a word whose etymology stretches back 75 years.
    Oh, I think a normal word would be encountered in everyday life. Unless one moves in pretentious circles.

    As an aside, I'm still struggling with the concept of you doing "quite a lot of work" with organisations local to you while still being on RHP in one forum or another almost 24 hours a day. You've mastered the art of bilocation, then? 😉
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    20 Feb '16 09:59
    Originally posted by Startreader
    Oh, I think a normal word would be encountered in everyday life. Unless one moves in pretentious circles.
    Self-actualization is a gritty, down-to-earth, grassroots struggle in daunting circumstances for millions and millions of people (and not just women) in the country where I live, and not something pretentious at all.
Back to Top