1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Smartest guy I've ever known was a theist, so certainly wouldn't put his beliefs down to stupidity.

I think faith (personally) is more to do with the heart. That's not to say intellectual thought isn't part of the process in 'finding God', but I think it is more an emotive issue to cope with the strange world we find ourselves on and our own mortality.
    Sounds sound to me.

The following is what I said in reply to ToO in another thread.

Originally posted by josephw
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

You're asking me what I think "faith" means? In the simplest terms I can think of it means believing and trusting. The Bible, other than the direct definition given in Hebrews 11:1, gives us many examples throughout its pages of God's people exercising their faith in God's Word by obedience to it. Faith is what one does in response to God's revealed will. But I'm still learning what faith means, so I haven't arrived yet at full knowledge, and won't till I arrive in glory.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 15:33
    Smartest guy I've ever known was a theist, so certainly wouldn't put his beliefs down to stupidity.

I think faith (personally) is more to do with the heart. That's not to say intellectual thought isn't part of the process in 'finding God', but I think it is more an emotive issue to cope with the strange world we find ourselves on and our own mortality.
    All of creation points toward a Creator.
    Beyond that, man requires revelation.
    There is simply not enough within the creation to know the Creator personally --- except for conclusions we've seen present in the perspective of folks who reject any revelation: an uncaring, absentee landlord without mercy, justice or love.
    In revelation, we find why life is the thing that it is, in the manner that it is.
    With revelation, the intellect is allowed to flourish, grow.
    Without revelation, the intellect is forced to devise artifice, deception.

Revelation tells us how God wants man to be full and overflowing in all aspects of life, and how He is the provider of the fuel necessary for such happiness.
    Ask, seek, knock.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 15:37

Why not mention me by name, modesty prevents you of course. well played!😵
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 15:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    But how can that be? FreakyKBH has actually called my views on this topic "stupid" and yet I haven't deemed either your views or his to be "stupid". So, on "the same basis as" what?
    Well, let's see. You have more than just called us stupid. You infer we have an inferior world view based on the delusion we hold about a God figure you claim is fictitiously based on the musings of mere men.

You make yourself out to be intellectually superior in every sense of the word, based on your own personal experiences and opinions, thereby calling us stupid delusionist.

I really wish you would be as "forthright and honest" and come right out and say what you really think deep down inside. Don't worry, there's nothing you can say that will offend me. Unless you really mean it. 😉
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 16:19
    Well, let's see. You have more than just called us stupid. You infer we have an inferior world view based on the delusion we hold about a God figure you claim is fictitiously based on the musings of mere men.

You make yourself out to be intellectually superior in every sense of the word, based on your own personal experiences and opinions, thereby calling us stupid delusionist.

I really wish you would be as "forthright and honest" and come right out and say what you really think deep down inside. Don't worry, there's nothing you can say that will offend me. Unless you really mean it. 😉

I have not once called you a "stupid delusionist". You're making it up.

What I really think deep down inside is that while I support your right to believe what you want, and I am happy for you if religion brings you solace or purpose in your life, it's a real pity that your faith, in part, and in practice, translates into things like comparing homosexuals to murderers and believing that homosexuality should be criminalized. It's a real pity that you think this way.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 18:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

Why not mention me by name, modesty prevents you of course. well played!😵
    Okay, i'll mention you by name. Robbie, you're a pilchard.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 18:39
    Okay, i'll mention you by name. Robbie, you're a pilchard.
    The brainiest pilchard you evah knew!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 19:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have not once called you a "stupid delusionist". You're making it up.

What I really think deep down inside is that while I support your right to believe what you want, and I am happy for you if religion brings you solace or purpose in your life, it's a real pity that your faith, in part, and in practice, translates into things like comparing homosexuals to ...[text shortened]... d believing that homosexuality should be criminalized. It's a real pity that you think this way.
    Actually it's a pity you have a propensity for mischaracterizing what one says. You took what I said and made it mean what you wanted it to mean, and then leveled the accusations.

"...I support your right to believe what you want,.."

I trod this earth without your support. Thank you. 😉

"... I am happy for you..."

Please!

"... if religion brings you solace or purpose in your life,.."

How many times do I have to tell you I don't have a religion? See? You don't listen.

"...it's a real pity that your faith, in part, and in practice, translates into things like comparing homosexuals to murderers and believing that homosexuality should be criminalized."

That is a perfect example of how you do what you do so well. You're the one that said anything about comparing homosexuals to murderers and criminalizing homosexuality. I didn't, but you say I did because you don't listen except to hear what you want to hear.

Now run along and find some quotes you can use to prove my point again. Let's make it more fun this time though. Find some witnesses that will testify on your behalf. How about divegeester? And get robbie as an impartial. 😉
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 00:16
    You're the one that said anything about comparing homosexuals to murderers and criminalizing homosexuality. I didn't, but you say I did because you don't listen except to hear what you want to hear. Now run along and find some quotes you can use to prove my point again.
    You talked about how criminalizing homosexuality would be a "just" law that would "protect the innocent" on pages 14 and 15 of this thread. You listed homosexuals along with pedophiles and murderers and thieves on page 13. You raised and put forward both of these ideas, not me.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    You talked about how criminalizing homosexuality would be a "just" law that would "protect the innocent" on pages 14 and 15 of this thread. You listed homosexuals along with pedophiles and murderers and thieves on page 13. You raised and put forward both of these ideas, not me.
    I talk about a lot of things. I'm glad you're there to let me know what I'm talking about.

But you're wrong. I told you why. You still don't get it.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The brainiest pilchard you evah knew!
    Sure, but at the end of the day you're still just a pilchard.

😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree