1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 20:15
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Looking at it from this side of the channel ... I fondly recall a newspaper headline (can't remember now whether it was the Sun or the Daily Mail or some other): the channel was so heavily fogged that the ferries couldn't sail. The headline read "Continent Cut Off By Fog."

Now, I ask you, if the Pacific were so heavily fogged that airplanes couldn't re ...[text shortened]... that North America was cut off?

Of course not, it was Britain which was cut off. And will be.
    Well, yes, The Sun and/or the Daily Mail are not 'newspapers' (and I use the term advisedly and with some reservation!) of which any but the most right - wing among us (Brits) are particularly proud. Not in any case one might say our finest or most balanced contribution to literature or journalism, so I grant you that the semantics may well be a bit dodgy...I suppose one could argue that 'the continent' (or North America for that matter) can indeed be said to be 'cut off' from the place that said newspaper was published, but we enter murky waters here, so I take your point.

As for 'Brexit'. I was never and am still not in favour of it, but democracy is democracy and we are where we are. What is being negotiated now is the extent to which we become 'cut off', and how this can do the least damage to our trading with the rest of Europe. It'll sort itself out whatever happens, economic necessity and pragmatism will see to that, and Britain's economy is still one of the strongest around, so all things work both ways.

I would question why it is that you are so apparently anti - Britain. (Although I'm not taking it personally). Since you seem to be so keen to see us 'leave', you are in any case at least partially getting your way, and what is very clear is that nobody is going to get everything that they want. That's life, don't you think?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 20:46
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Isn't that a standing joke?
    😉
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Well, yes, The Sun and/or the Daily Mail are not 'newspapers' (and I use the term advisedly and with some reservation!) of which any but the most right - wing among us (Brits) are particularly proud. Not in any case one might say our finest or most balanced contribution to literature or journalism, so I grant you that the semantics may well be a bit ...[text shortened]... ry clear is that nobody is going to get everything that they want. That's life, don't you think?
    I am not anti-British at all. I am something of an anglophile. There are many things to like about Britain, not least the British sense of humour, ability to parody themselves, and to take a ribbing.

I was surprised at the result of the Brexit referendum, as were many Europeans. The EU was stronger with Britain, but will survive without.

Since Britain voted to leave, I am not in favour of letting Britain keep a foot in the door. E.g., if you're going to put a stop to the free movement of labour, then the EU is entitled to put a stop to the free movement of goods. You can't expect a free trade zone for goods only without free movement of labour; the two are essential to the EU concept.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 22:20
    I am not anti-British at all. I am something of an anglophile. There are many things to like about Britain, not least the British sense of humour, ability to parody themselves, and to take a ribbing.

I was surprised at the result of the Brexit referendum, as were many Europeans. The EU was stronger with Britain, but will survive without.

Since Britain ...[text shortened]... de zone for goods only without free movement of labour; the two are essential to the EU concept.
    I absolutely agree with your last paragraph, and to be honest and in my humble opinion anything but a free movement of labour and goods is bound to be bad for Britain, hence in part my opposition to 'Brexit'.
    I've heard it said that there are more Brits working (and living) elsewhere in Europe than people of any other European nation, so hitherto we Brits have embraced the idea of integration, and believe me when I say that there are a lot of people over here who were as surprised by the referendum result as anyone!

As for our sense of humour, we may need that in the months and years to come, and leaving the EU, to whatever extent this happens, may turn out to be the biggest joke of all....
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 23:42
    I heard California was going to break away from the rest of the States.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 04:01
    Originally posted by @trev33
    Not a good idea. Look at what happened when South Carolina tried it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 05:31
    Britain is a small island in the Atlantic, so there it's aluminium.
    Is it also molybdenium?

If you guys aren't willing to go all in, then you probably shouldn't start what you can't finish.

And yeah, I got the joke, it's just that aluminium really bugs me.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 09:02
    Not a good idea. Look at what happened when South Carolina tried it.
    SoCal is more likely to break away succesfully, though.

I blame saint Andrew.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 09:091 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Is it also molybdenium?

If you guys aren't willing to go all in, then you probably shouldn't start what you can't finish.

And yeah, I got the joke, it's just that aluminium really bugs me.
    Is it cerum, potassum, helum, californum? Of course not. If you were consistent, you'd have to call element 95 americum, and then the moral guardians would have a hissy fit.

Come to the light side. Call it aluminium, as all civilised people (and the English) do.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 09:11
    Ah, and there are so many German words which don't translate well. Sitzpinkler comes to mind.
    And Kaltduscher.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 10:242 edits
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    And Kaltduscher.
    Good example. Also Warmduscher (which, unlike Kaltduscher) is a diminutive, slightly pejorative, expression.

For those out in the cold here, a Kaltduscher is one who takes cold showers, a sign of hardiness or manliness (in the mold of Hemingway, John Wayne, etc.). Whereas a Warmduscher is one who takes warm showers and is considered weak and decadent.

A Sitzpinkler is a male who pees sitting down.

Swiss German has its own peculiar expressions, such as Wohlweh, which, if explained to a high-German speaker, makes immediate sense. Literally, "pleasure-pain", as, for example, when aching muscles are massaged. "Delicious-pain", great word, great concept.

And of course, Schadenfreude.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 10:31
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Is it cerum, potassum, helum, californum? Of course not. If you were consistent, you'd have to call element 95 americum, and then the moral guardians would have a hissy fit.

Come to the light side. Call it aluminium, as all civilised people (and the English) do.
    Speaking of consistency, how do Brits pronounce the following words:

school

schooner

schema

scherzo

schizophrenia

scholar

schedule
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 10:35
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    I absolutely agree with your last paragraph, and to be honest and in my humble opinion anything but a free movement of labour and goods is bound to be bad for Britain, hence in part my opposition to 'Brexit'.
    I've heard it said that there are more Brits working (and living) elsewhere in Europe than people of any other European nation, so hitherto we ...[text shortened]... leaving the EU, to whatever extent this happens, may turn out to be the biggest joke of all....
    If the going gets really tough, I can imagine the United Kingdom breaking up, with Scotland trying to break away and re-join the EU. Won't that be a mess?
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 10:391 edit
    Originally posted by @trev33
    Yeah, when the Big One comes, CA's going to fall off into the Pacific and Nevada will be the new West Coast. I've got a T-shirt which says: San Andreas -- It's Our Fault. 🙂
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 10:53
    aluminum
    Write that word in cursive, rapidly. Wasn't that fun? Do it again, faster!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree