1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Nov '18 21:46
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/obituaries/stan-lee-dead.html

Stan Lee Is Dead at 95; Superhero of Marvel Comics

Stan Lee, who as chief writer and editor of Marvel Comics helped create some of the most enduring superheroes of the 20th century and was a major force behind the breakout successes of the comic-book industry in the 1960s and early ’70s, died on Monday in Los Angeles. He was 95.

His death, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was confirmed by Kirk Schenck, a lawyer for Mr. Lee’s daughter, J. C. Lee.

Mr. Lee was for many the embodiment of Marvel, if not comic books in general, and oversaw his company’s emergence as an international media behemoth. A writer, editor, publisher, Hollywood executive and tireless promoter (of Marvel and of himself), he played a critical role in what comics fans call the medium’s silver age.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 03:43
    @vivify

I'm not one much for going to the cinema or reading comics but I've always thought they should turn some of these comic characters and stories into films. I doubt it would make a lot of money but they'd cover their costs I'm sure, even if they did go straight to video and never got seen on the big screen. There'd be a small niche market of thousands of people around the world who'd enjoy seeing these almost forgotten comics brought to life. It's amazing that people have even remembered a figure like Stan Lee, may he rest in peace.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 04:18
    @fmf said
    @vivify

I'm not one much for going to the cinema or reading comics but I've always thought they should turn some of these comic characters and stories into films. I doubt it would make a lot of money but they'd cover their costs I'm sure, even if they did go straight to video and never got seen on the big screen. There'd be a small niche market of thousands of people around th ...[text shortened]... to life. It's amazing that people have even remembered a figure like Stan Lee, may he rest in peace.
    There was one called The Spider about a teenager (Paul Potts I think) who had Spider Powers.

And another about a Tin Man who owned a multinational arms company.

I guess they would be too far-fetched to make into real movies.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 06:25
    I preferred Bristish comics like Lion, Valiant and Thunder which morphed into Valiant & Lion and subsequently Lion & Thunder.

Characters such has as The Spider, Adam Eterno and Janus Stark are etched into my memories.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 12:21
    @divegeester said
    I preferred Bristish comics like Lion, Valiant and Thunder which morphed into Valiant & Lion and subsequently Lion & Thunder.

Characters such has as The Spider, Adam Eterno and Janus Stark are etched into my memories.
    Plastic Man was my favorite.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 19:50
    @vivify said
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/obituaries/stan-lee-dead.html

Stan Lee Is Dead at 95; Superhero of Marvel Comics

Stan Lee, who as chief writer and editor of Marvel Comics helped create some of the most enduring superheroes of the 20th century and was a major force behind the breakout successes of the comic-book industry in the 1960s and early ’70s, died ...[text shortened]... d of himself), he played a critical role in what comics fans call the medium’s silver age.
    Thanks for this, my tv is broken...

Looks like Stan had a fine life and lived long enough to see his comics and characters from last century feature in some huge movies in this century.
    Are Spiderman movies trash? Well they're not profound, however on balance I'd rather go see a Marvel movie than any other action movie.
    will Spiderman continue to exist into the next century? If there's a New York around then spidey will be there.
    Anyway thanks for the memories Stan
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 12:05
    @divegeester said

Asterix. That was the one. I've read every single one of them in English, French and Indonesian.

And then, later, when I'd grown up [only to a certain degree, though], Viz.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree