1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 12:24
    @very-rusty said
    The stock market is a very tricky place anytime, but now more than ever. I wouldn't play with anymore than I can afford to lose.

-VR
    I don't play, I invest.
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 13:04
    I'd sell, my opinion.

I think the whole stock market is propped up by funny money and when the
    inertia has dissipated, the market will suffer sever setbacks with few exceptions.
    Things like food stocks should be Ok.

IMO, sell stocks and buy gold. The dollar will sink like a rock.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 13:20
    @huckleberryhound said
    I don't play, I invest.
    Ok invest vs the word play, I look at it the same way! 😉

-VR
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 14:07
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I'd sell, my opinion.

I think the whole stock market is propped up by funny money and when the
    inertia has dissipated, the market will suffer sever setbacks with few exceptions.
    Things like food stocks should be Ok.

IMO, sell stocks and buy gold. The dollar will sink like a rock.
    The Fed is definitely propping up the stock market right now, that is for sure.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 14:20
    @huckleberryhound said
    The Fed is definitely propping up the stock market right now, that is for sure.
    One is always taking a chance investing in the stock market as things can change daily as you know. My cousin is an investment advisor and I'd never take any advice from him. One can't trust anyone as far as I am concerned. You really have to know what you're doing, and some do. I was told to invest in gold by a close friend when it was at 50 dollars many moons ago. I didn't listen, turned out to be a mistake, but I can live with it.

-VR
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 14:41
    listen to the fool

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/21/got-3000-buy-this-high-yield-dividend-stock-and-le.aspx
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 15:23
    @rookie54 said
    listen to the fool

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/21/got-3000-buy-this-high-yield-dividend-stock-and-le.aspx
    Big fan of motley fool, market beat, simply wall street, and seeking aplha. Will definitely look at the article. My first three stocks were XOM, WFC, and KO. I was lucky to witness a couple of pump and dumps while I was making my first steps, I think most people do not do any research them blame it on the market when they screw up.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 15:29
    @very-rusty said
    One is always taking a chance investing in the stock market as things can change daily as you know. My cousin is an investment advisor and I'd never take any advice from him. One can't trust anyone as far as I am concerned. You really have to know what you're doing, and some do. I was told to invest in gold by a close friend when it was at 50 dollars many moons ago. I didn't listen, turned out to be a mistake, but I can live with it.

-VR
    Get a strategy, get a plan, and try not to think you're cleverer than the market. If you stick with stock like CM (Canadian imperial Bank of commerce) you can take away the lose it all factor.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 15:39
    @huckleberryhound said
    Get a strategy, get a plan, and try not to think you're cleverer than the market. If you stick with stock like CM (Canadian imperial Bank of commerce) you can take away the lose it all factor.
    I don't think I am more clever than the market as no one knows where it is going unless you have some inside information on it. I think that is called insider trading if I am not mistaken. I just stay away from it. Some do make some dollars on the Market and good for them. I am just talking about me personally. If you can do well at it good for you as there are many that are very good at it. I still think they have some inside information. The ordinary Joe of course does not, and I am assuming it would take a lot of home work and following the market for years.

-VR
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 19:13
    @huckleberryhound said
    Long term dividend stock myself, i'd consider biotech risky, as the flip flop on FDA approvals.
    Most dividends won’t pay you much unless you have a lot invested. It’s volatile at the moment and a good time to buy some reliable but depressed stock. I could buy mine back now (what I sold in April) for significantly less than I sold it for. But I won’t. Well maybe a small ride, I’ll see.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 20:55
    @huckleberryhound said
    Sound advice. Do you dabble yourself? I'm guessing Canadian banks, right?
    Sure fire investment. Every quarter it’s record profits.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 20:59
    If investing in “ somewhat edgy stocks” pick a profitable price your comfortable with and put in a sell order at it. The key here is the word “ profit”.
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 21:44
    @divegeester said
    Most dividends won’t pay you much unless you have a lot invested. It’s volatile at the moment and a good time to buy some reliable but depressed stock. I could buy mine back now (what I sold in April) for significantly less than I sold it for. But I won’t. Well maybe a small ride, I’ll see.
    Really? The big covid drop was march, and i entered in April. I don't see a big decrease in share price from then. Saying that, i don't know biotech that well. Gilead had a phase, and i think meridian is having it's day right now.
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 21:50
    @great-big-stees said
    If investing in “ somewhat edgy stocks” pick a profitable price your comfortable with and put in a sell order at it. The key here is the word “ profit”.
    I don't do edgy lol. If i do any speculation, it's very small. (as is my entire portfolio at the moment for that matter). Unfortunately the platform i use does't have the Canadian market, so i have to access those banks stocks from the US. Looking to build a passive income i can accumulate, then pass on. I've crunched the numbers with a very conservative 4%. It's doable. There are still some bargains in the covid climate, as long as you're in it for the long haul.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 14:22
    You guys must put a lot of time into this to keep on top of everything that is going on. Just logically I am thinking this would be a bad time with the uncertainty of the economy.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree