1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 09:54
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Isn't it strange that the King and Queen of English Grammar went to school in the U.S. and Australia?
    Not really people who learn a language from birth simply don't have the same need to learn grammatical structure and idiom the same as non native speakers for to them the construct seems natural.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 10:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Not really people who learn a language from birth simply don't have the same need to learn grammatical structure and idiom the same as non native speakers for to them the construct seems natural.
    It may come as a surprise, but English is the birth language of most Americans and most Australians. We may not have the varied dialects of the Mother Country, but that probably improves things.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 10:09
    I've always wondered, Kewpie, with all due respect: how
    do you, Aussies, see your origins?
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 10:383 edits
    Aussies generally pay lip service to the Brits, after all that's where the first lot came from, and we've kept some of their legal and political systems. Myself, I'm the child of a Greek civil war refugee and a Swedish farmer's daughter, and I'm fairly typical of the 25% of the population who have at least one parent born outside the country. You can't generalise about Aussies, we're as blended a population as you'll find anywhere. I'm referring to the non-aboriginal population of course, I have little contact with indigenes.

We used to keep our convict ancestors quiet, now it's a big deal to be descended from a First Fleeter - similar to the Americans but much later of course, we have only about 6 or 8 generations since then.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 13:35
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I went to a country school where teachers knew how to teach and kids weren't distracted. What's your excuse?
    I pay attention.
  6. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 14:28
    Originally posted by redbadger
    I am a really nice Guy and could do with a few friends to petition DONT BAN THE BADGER to Russ and his Minions.
    You should never have been allowed back.
  7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 14:30
    Originally posted by Kegge
    You should never have been allowed back.
    Why I served my time for my stupid crime and now I pay to play.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 15:06
    I am a really nice Guy and could do with a few friends to petition DONT BAN THE BADGER to Russ and his Minions.
    Yeah, seconded.

Dopeslap the badge so hard up the back of his head with a tuna that his neo-Stalinist pals in Moscow and Finland feel it three feet up their rectums, but don't ban him. Yet.
  9. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 15:08
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yeah, seconded.

Dopeslap the badge so hard up the back of his head with a tuna that his neo-Stalinist pals in Moscow and Finland feel it three feet up their rectums, but don't ban him. Yet.
    cheers SB tuna slapping aside.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 15:13
    cheers SB tuna slapping aside.
    The dopeslapping was kinda the point, you know. If you didn't behave as if you were lower than the age limit, people wouldn't try and get you banned.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 16:49
    Is English spoken in Scotland these days or do they still prefer Gaelic?
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 16:55
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    We used to keep our convict ancestors quiet, now it's a big deal to be descended from a First Fleeter - similar to the Americans but much later of course, we have only about 6 or 8 generations since then.
    Are they quite vocal?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 19:482 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Is English spoken in Scotland these days or do they still prefer Gaelic?
    Yeah we got Gaelic TV now, I often listen to the soccer in Gaelic. The EU poured wads of doe into keeping Gaelic alive. As for every day speech there are numerous dialects which are so far removed from English as to be unrecognisable to the non native. My friends kids all attended Gaelic speaking primary schools. Saying that i think there are just as many Gaelic schools in Newfoundland as in Scotland i once thought of moving to there.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 20:01
    Yeah we got Gaelic TV now, I often listen to the soccer in Gaelic. The EU poured wads of doe into keeping Gaelic alive. As for every day speech there are numerous dialects which are so far removed from English as to be unrecognisable to the non native. My friends kids all attended Gaelic speaking primary schools. Saying that i think there are just as many Gaelic schools in Newfoundland as in Scotland i once thought of moving to there.
    I have a second cousin who is/was the Gaelic Dialect Consultant and Tutor for the TV series "Outlander". My maternal Grandfather spoke it as a matter of course in the home.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I have a second cousin who is/was the Gaelic Dialect Consultant and Tutor for the TV series "Outlander". My maternal Grandfather spoke it as a matter of course in the home.
    Scottish blood runs through your veins laddie, same a Badger but he's been living in Angleland and they've made him soft!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree