1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 14:282 edits
    The Best Game in Town

During my twenties, I was uniquely privileged to have Emil M. Reubens of the Boylston Chess Club* as one of my chess mentors at a community chess club in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts. One evening at his home I said: "E.M., chess is really the best game of all." He smiled and after awhile replied: "Chess is the second best game in town" then after a pause added, "Bobby, talking is and has always been the best game in town." Over the years I've come to realize just how profound his assessment was and still is around the globe today. The sole objective of this thread is to explore the various venues of our lives which require discussion and conversation both at home and at work as well as in our offline and online discretionary leisure time activities. Is talking really the most essential human activity of all and/or "the best game in town"? Thanks in advance for your on-topic replies.

Note: There are 8,760 hours in a year (24x365) of which sleeping an average of 8 hours every 24 hours requires 2, 920 (8x365) Working 40 hours each week with an annual two week vacation suggests that employment requires 2,000 hours (40x50). Total 8.760 -2,920 = 5,840 - 2,000 = 3,840 hours or 10-11 hours per day for discretionary leisure time activities (3,840/365). *http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 17:08
    Does it count if you only talk to yourself?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 17:26
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I hope so. 😉
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 17:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]The Best Game in Town

During my twenties, I was uniquely privileged to have Emil M. Reubens of the Boylston Chess Club* as one of my chess mentors at a community chess club in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts. One evening at his home I said: "E.M., chess is really the best game of all." He smiled and after awhile replied: "Chess is the second ...[text shortened]... 65). *http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html[/b]
    Conversation is great, but I probably talk too much. 😉
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 18:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    Probably.
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 18:55
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Apparently so as all of Bobby's threads are essentially him talking to himself.

Look at this crap. Rambling on about some obscure Chess club and, yet another, "stunning revaluation" that evolved from a meaningless remark.

While we're talking to ourselves, I have to wonder how one justifies launching every random reminiscence into a public forum with no consideration as to whether or not anyone cares about it. The ego associated with sustaining this kind of activity for years must be remarkable indeed.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 19:10
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate

Look at this crap. Rambling on about some obscure Chess club and, yet another, "stunning revaluation" that evolved from a meaningless remark.

While we're talking to ourselves, I have to wonder how one justifies launching every random reminiscence into a public forum ...[text shortened]... t. The ego associated with sustaining this kind of activity for years must be remarkable indeed.
    Talking of obscure, I note your username is an anagram of 'The Deaf Nacho.'

Do with that as you will.
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 21:031 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Talking of obscure, I note your username is an anagram of 'The Deaf Nacho.'

Do with that as you will.
    I would suggest that your grasp on reality is as loose as your Mom's cooter.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 21:28
    I would suggest that your grasp on reality is as loose as your Mom's cooter.
    And i would suggest you'd be of more use to this world if you were indeed a deaf nacho.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 21:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    And i would suggest you'd be of more use to this world if you were indeed a deaf nacho.
    Fair enough. I like you already.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 21:38

While we're talking to ourselves, I have to wonder how one justifies launching every random reminiscence into a public forum ...[text shortened]... t. The ego associated with sustaining this kind of activity for years must be remarkable indeed.
    Why is it so painful for you? Why are you taking GB so personally? If you don't like him so much why don't you just stay out of his face and go about your business? Why do you keep attacking some old man you don't even know? Why do you let him get under your skin?

The same goes for the rest of you. It's like watching a pack of mangy dogs stalking what they perceive to be weak prey, snarling, snapping and drooling over the kill. 🙄

Are you here to simply perfect the art of ridicule? 😕
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 21:48
    You do, but rarely about the right things.
  13. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 22:522 edits
    Why is it so painful for you? Why are you taking GB so personally? If you don't like him so much why don't you just stay out of his face and go about your business? Why do you keep attacking some old man you don't even know? Why do you let him get under your skin?

The same goes for the rest of you. It's like watching a pack of mangy dogs stalking what the ...[text shortened]... napping and drooling over the kill. 🙄

Are you here to simply perfect the art of ridicule? 😕
    Freedom of speech is a great thing. Even in the limited form enjoyed here. However, having the freedom to say what you want necessarily implies that others will have the freedom to disagree with what you have to say and how you say it. Much as you are addressing your concerns with what I have to say now.

I object to almost everything Bobby posts. I object to the content, the quantity, the messages, all of it. If there are little gems of wisdom they are buried under an avalanche of detritus.

This isn't his personal blog. His age and other personal details don't insulate him from having to manage what he has to say.

I am a comedian. With one audience, myself. I deserve to take crap for much of what I have to say. I push the boundaries of what is decent or reasonable deliberately. I value the freedom to do so, but, fully expect to be held responsible for what I say. I have distanced myself from this forum and a site I loved because I couldn't stay quiet. I found myself pissed of because of it, so I, to a large degree walked away and sought entertainment elsewhere.

Fear not, I'll wander off again, but, I won't apologize for taking a swipe at GB as I go by. Perhaps he'll reflect on it and change his ways, but, it's more likely he'll ignore me and carry on. He's the better man after all.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 23:54
    Freedom of speech is a great thing. Even in the limited form enjoyed here. However, having the freedom to say what you want necessarily implies that others will have the freedom to disagree with what you have to say and how you say it. Much as you are addressing your concerns with what I have to say now.

I object to almost everything Bobby posts. ...[text shortened]... nge his ways, but, it's more likely he'll ignore me and carry on. He's the better man after all.
    I can except all that, but what if GB was a little girl? Do you have the right of freedom of speach to say whatever you want then? Of course not because there are rules. But maybe you make your own rules.

I just realized something. This is very boring. I think I'm getting to the point where there is no point.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 23:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You do, but rarely about the right things.
    I have to agree, but still I have the urge to tell you to quit whining. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree