General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    15 Aug '15 18:20
    Forgive me? I am pretty new to forums and overall think they are quite interesting and /or entertaining at times. But I can't help but notice some serious rudeness and immaturity. I am no saint myself, I promise. lol But I do try to be sensitive towards others especially when I have no idea what their life might be like. Who's to say that the person you are insulting, belittling, cursing at, dismissing is not really lonely? Or depressed? Or struggling with some seriously overwhelming life challenges?

    I do not mean to come off as condescending...I hope the story from below is funny?! And maybe lightens up the mood? Makes one of the perpetually disgruntled posters half-smile? (You know who you are...) Let's face it, there are some childish people posting and so I would be remiss if I didn't share this most apropos children's book. πŸ˜‰

    I used to read it to my elementary classes. And so, forgive me, but I will need to ask you to sit criss cross applesauce and no poking your neighbor!

    "The Pout Pout Fish" by Deborah Diesen

    Deep in the water where the fish hang out, lives a glum gloomy swimmer with an ever-present pout.

    "I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place!"

    Along comes a clam with a wide grinning grin and a pearl of advice for her pal to take in:

    "Hey, Mr. Fish with your crosstown frown, don't you think it's time to turn it upside down?"

    Says the fish to his friend, "Nice thought, Ms. Clam. I hear what you're saying, but it's just the way I am!"

    "I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place!"

    Along comes a jellyfish, he floats through the ocean. His tentacles all trailing in a gentle locomotion.

    "Hey, Mr. Fish, with your daily scaly scowl, I wish you wouldn't greet us with a grimace and a growl."

    Says the fish to his friend, "Mr. Jelly, I agree. I'd like to be more friendly, but it isn't up to me!"

    "I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place!"

    Along comes a squid, quite a slender squiggly sight. She is squirmy, she is squelchy, she is slightly impolite.

    "Hey, Mr. Fish with your kaleidoscope of mope, how about a smile? A little joy? A little hope?"

    Says the fish to his friend, "Mrs. Squid, I would try, but I haven't any choice. Take a look and you'll see why!"

    "I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place!"

    Along comes an octopus with eight great arms covered on the underside with tiny sucker charms.

    "Hey Mr. Fish, let me tell it to you straight. Your hulky-bulky sulking is an unattractive trait!"

    Says the fish to his friend, "Mr. Eight, my chum, with a mouth like mine, I am destined to be glum!"

    "I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place!"

    Now along comes a fish in a silent silver shimmer. The gang has never seen before this bright and brilliant swimmer. She approaches Mr. Fish but instead of saying hey....

    She plants a kiss upon his pout and then she swims away.

    Mr. Fish is most astounded. Mr. Fish is just aghast. He is stone-faced like a statue. Then he blinks, and speaks at last:

    "My friends," says Mr. Fish, "I should have known it all along. I thought that I was pouty, but it turns out I was wrong."

    "I'm a kiss-kiss fish, with a kiss-kiss face for spreading cheery-cheeries all over the place!"


    THE END.

    No worries...I am braced for negative, hateful posts that may follow but hopeful for a πŸ™‚ in-between. lol
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    15 Aug '15 19:082 edits
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Forgive me? I am pretty new to forums and overall think they are quite interesting and /or entertaining at times. But I can't help but notice some serious rudeness and immaturity. I am no saint myself, I promise. lol But I do try to be sensitive towards others especially when I have no idea what their life might be like. Who's to say that the person you ...[text shortened]... rries...I am braced for negative, hateful posts that may follow but hopeful for a πŸ™‚ in-between. lol
    @Landisqueen170: "What is a veteran?

    Whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, a veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount "up to, and including his life."

    That is honor.

    As we all enjoy this frustrating and addicting game we call chess, in the comforts of our homes, let us not forget the lonely, exhausted soldier who is thousands of miles away missing his six year old son's first home run or his teenage daughter's first broken heart.

    And if it is not too much trouble? Please keep a special place in your heart for our soldiers who are healing from life-changing injuries. Their journeys are long. Their sacrifices many...."
    ____________________________

    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    "Forgive me? I am pretty new to forums and overall think they are quite interesting and /or entertaining at times. But I can't help but notice some serious rudeness and immaturity..."
    ____________________________

    In a relatively short time you've diagnosed the one unfortunate behaviour on this forum: incivility driven by "immaturity". Glad you're here.
  3. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    15 Aug '15 19:32
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Forgive me? I am pretty new to forums and overall think they are quite interesting and /or entertaining at times. But I can't help but notice some serious rudeness and immaturity. I am no saint myself, I promise. lol But I do try to be sensitive towards others especially when I have no idea what their life might be like. Who's to say that the person y ...[text shortened]... s...I am braced for negative, hateful posts that may follow but hopeful for a πŸ™‚ in-between. lol
    I need a poet for my clan, The easy riders, consider gracing us with your presence if you have the desire πŸ˜€
  4. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    15 Aug '15 19:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I need a poet for my clan, The easy riders, consider gracing us with your presence if you have the desire πŸ˜€
    Oh, well, than I am not the one for you. lol
    No poet here!

    Now was this post of yours slightly sarcastic or not? Please clarify.

    I am hesitant to take it at face value. You understand, I am sure. lol
  5. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    15 Aug '15 19:38
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    @Landisqueen170: "What is a veteran?

    Whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, a veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount "up to, and including his life."

    That is honor.

    As we all enjoy this frustrating and addicting game we call chess, in ...[text shortened]... he one unfortunate behaviour on this forum: incivility driven by "immaturity". Glad you're here.
    Diagnosing is the easy part πŸ™‚
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    15 Aug '15 19:453 edits
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Oh, well, than I am not the one for you. lol
    No poet here!

    Now was this post of yours slightly sarcastic or not? Please clarify.

    I am hesitant to take it at face value. You understand, I am sure. lol
    No sarcasm intended honestly, we need people of culture to combat an ambiance of gloominess which manifests itself from time to time πŸ˜€

    If you feel at any time compelled to enter the realm of clans, give us a shout, our motto at present is,

    Billy: Where ya from man?
    Stranger on the Highway: Hard to say.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526101
    15 Aug '15 20:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No sarcasm intended honestly, we need people of culture to combat an ambiance of gloominess which manifests itself from time to time πŸ˜€

    If you feel at any time compelled to enter the realm of clans, give us a shout, our motto at present is,

    Billy: Where ya from man?
    Stranger on the Highway: Hard to say.
    Journeying is very nice when you do't know where you are going,but it is best when you don't know where you came from. (some chinese philosopher...and my translation from the German, probably vastly distorted from the original Chinese...)
  8. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    15 Aug '15 21:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No sarcasm intended honestly, we need people of culture to combat an ambiance of gloominess which manifests itself from time to time πŸ˜€

    If you feel at any time compelled to enter the realm of clans, give us a shout, our motto at present is,

    Billy: Where ya from man?
    Stranger on the Highway: Hard to say.
    Thanks for the offer. I shall consider πŸ™‚

    "Ambiance of gloominess" is a good description around here at times. lol

    I don't mind people being passionate & outspoken about what they think & believe. It's obnoxiousness that is a real downer. Serves no purpose that I can see other than to satisfy a few Napoleon complexes. lol.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    15 Aug '15 21:39
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Thanks for the offer. I shall consider πŸ™‚

    "Ambiance of gloominess" is a good description around here at times. lol

    I don't mind people being passionate & outspoken about what they think & believe. It's obnoxiousness that is a real downer. Serves no purpose that I can see other than to satisfy a few Napoleon complexes. lol.
    Yes its a room full of mirrors to be honest πŸ˜€
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    15 Aug '15 21:41
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Journeying is very nice when you do't know where you are going,but it is best when you don't know where you came from. (some chinese philosopher...and my translation from the German, probably vastly distorted from the original Chinese...)
    Yes it is, its wonderful, used to love just driving somewhere, going on an adventure πŸ˜€
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    15 Aug '15 22:071 edit
    “The sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness. In misery we seem aware of our own existence, even though it may be in the form of a monstrous egotism: this pain of mine is individual, this nerve that winces belongs to me and to no other. But happiness annihilates us: we lose our identity.”
    ― Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

    Haruki Murakami
    “It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.”


    ― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    15 Aug '15 22:41
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Diagnosing is the easy part πŸ™‚
    “This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

    ―William Shakespeare, Hamlet
    _____________________________

    The only viable alternative is to gradually deceive yourself. All self deceived human beings are off balance unless and until they muster the will to say "I was dead wrong"; and then engage in the process of unlearning half truths mixed with error and falsehoods which may be a painful experience.
  13. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Joined
    26 Dec '14
    Moves
    29912
    15 Aug '15 23:03
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Forgive me? I am pretty new to forums and overall think they are quite interesting and /or entertaining at times. But I can't help but notice some serious rudeness and immaturity. I am no saint myself, I promise. lol But I do try to be sensitive towards others especially when I have no idea what their life might be like. Who's to say that the person y ...[text shortened]... s...I am braced for negative, hateful posts that may follow but hopeful for a πŸ™‚ in-between. lol
    I read your story, and it was delightful, lol. I must admit though, I was not sitting criss cross applesauce, lol, lol. Funny. It is refreshing sometimes to get out of 'debating' and just try to learn something from a children's story.

    Many years ago, I read a book titled "Everything we need to know, we learned in Kindergarten". I forget the author, but what I remember is that the author made it a point to be very funny with his comparisons to children in kindergarten, and their moral compass....as opposed to the 'adults' around them. And, humorously, the adults had a LOT to learn from the children.

    Thank you.
  14. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    15 Aug '15 23:23
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I read your story, and it was delightful, lol. I must admit though, I was not sitting criss cross applesauce, lol, lol. Funny. It is refreshing sometimes to get out of 'debating' and just try to learn something from a children's story.

    Many years ago, I read a book titled "Everything we need to know, we learned in Kindergarten". I forget the author, b ...[text shortened]... s' around them. And, humorously, the adults had a LOT to learn from the children.

    Thank you.
    “These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

    1. Share everything.
    2. Play fair.
    3. Don't hit people.
    4. Put things back where you found them.
    5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
    6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
    7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
    8. Wash your hands before you eat.
    9. Flush.
    10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
    11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
    12. Take a nap every afternoon.
    13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
    14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Stryrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
    15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
    16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first works you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
    ― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

    I am glad you enjoyed πŸ™‚ One of the morals of the story is, of course,...A "kiss" goes a long way. Symbolically speaking. lol Often the ones with the biggest mouths who spew ugly words together and belittle others are just lacking happiness in their lives.

    And you are right...the above sums it all, doesn't it?
  15. Rohan
    Joined
    03 Jul '15
    Moves
    3023
    15 Aug '15 23:39
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    “The sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness. In misery we seem aware of our own existence, even though it may be in the form of a monstrous egotism: this pain of mine is individual, this nerve that winces belongs to me and to no other. But happiness annihilates us: we lose our identity.”
    ― Graham Greene, The End of ...[text shortened]... said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.”


    ― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
    "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Back to Top