1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 18:49
    I think that the Smaug character was awesome and should be nominated for best actor.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 14:48
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I think that the Smaug character was awesome and should be nominated for best actor.
    It irritates me that they pronounce is to rhyme with 'loud'. I've always read it as 'Smorg', not 'Smawg'. Stupid film-makers can't read.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 15:46
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    It irritates me that they pronounce is to rhyme with 'loud'. I've always read it as 'Smorg', not 'Smawg'. Stupid film-makers can't read.
    Stupid cat.

http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/63921131745/how-to-pronounce-smaug
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 17:57
    In my book in shows it as Smaug. It was a book that is not related to the movie, meaning it has a different cover then the movie.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-There-Back-Again/dp/061815082X/ref=br_lf_m_1000072751_1_2_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=books&pf_rd_p=283541401&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000072751&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KGMGYR4W387M03V4H90
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 21:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Stupid cat.

http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/63921131745/how-to-pronounce-smaug
    Yeah, whatever, I still think Smorg sounds better.
  6. In your face
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 17:06
    I pronounce 'smorg' the same as 'smawg' and 'loud' differently to the above.

Do we have a regional variation in our accents?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '13 13:201 edit
    Who's the one who can't read? At least you could pronounce it the way it's written.

"au" in English normally has a "ow" (or sometimes "aw" ) sound.

BTW, going to go see this this morning. I'll try to catch their pronunciation of it in the film. 🙂
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Dec '13 01:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Who's the one who can't read? At least you could pronounce it the way it's written.

"au" in English normally has a "ow" (or sometimes "aw" ) sound.

BTW, going to go see this this morning. I'll try to catch their pronunciation of it in the film. 🙂
    Like in staunch, launch, haunch, astronaut, caudal, dinosaur, author, fraud, applaud, marauder, aubergine (... smoge.. nah), auburn, auction, audience, audible, auger, augment, aunt (... smarg... nah), aura... to be honest I'm bored of this now and I've not even got to the end of the 'a's. It would be possible to argue that Americans pronounce these words differently but for the fact that they don't. I'm pretty sure that 'au' is pronounced 'or' much more frequently than 'ow', but I suppose there's an outside chance I'm wrong. Wanna place a small wager on it?
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Dec '13 02:542 edits
    The right answer will be how it's pronounced by the characters in the movie, but having said that, hasn't anyone else seen the television ads for this movie? Promotion for the movie has been running for at least two or three weeks now, and I believe the pronunciation (if memory serves) of Smaug rhymes with hog, or bog... or smog (an "aw" sound).

Edit: Nope, it's not an "aw" sound... the vowels are pronounced "ow", as in ouch.

YouTube
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Dec '13 21:37
    Like in staunch, launch, haunch, astronaut, caudal, dinosaur, author, fraud, applaud, marauder, aubergine (... smoge.. nah), auburn, auction, audience, audible, auger, augment, aunt (... smarg... nah), aura... to be honest I'm bored of this now and I've not even got to the end of the 'a's. It would be possible to argue that Americans pronounce these ...[text shortened]... y than 'ow', but I suppose there's an outside chance I'm wrong. Wanna place a small wager on it?
    'or'? seriously? I never hear 'au' pronounced 'or'. Where did the 'r' come from?

Granted, according to your list, it seems to be 'aw' more often than 'ow', but never 'or'. The only word in the list that I'd maybe put in the 'or' list would be 'aura', but that's because a lot of speakers are lazy, 'aura' should also be pronounced with an 'aw'. 'aw-ra', not 'or-a'. Hmmm, same with 'dinosaur'. 'sawr', not 'sor'. The only reason these get a semi-'or' sound is because of the 'r'.

But yes, in the movie, preference seems to be 'ow'. Left to my own preference, I'd probably pronounce it 'aw'. 'Smawg', yes.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 13:21
    Watched it last night... funny how they spent a whole movie showing how much control the ring has over someones mind but apparently in this one they can just slip it on and off whatever they what without any ill affect.

Thing was produced to make money not give people a good movie to watch and remember.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 13:54
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Watched it last night... funny how they spent a whole movie showing how much control the ring has over someones mind but apparently in this one they can just slip it on and off whatever they what without any ill affect.

Thing was produced to make money not give people a good movie to watch and remember.
    Did you read the books? No, I suppose not.

You do realize that The Hobbit came before The Lord of the Rings, yes? The focus in The Hobbit was not the One Ring, nor its evil character. To Bilbo, it was just a convenient tool. Of course, all this usage of the ring *did* eventually have an effect on Bilbo, as evidenced in the LOTR, when he was loathe to give it up to Frodo, knowing he would never see it again.

As to the movie, I thought it was amazing. All movies are produced to make money. But some of them also give people a good movie to watch and remember, like this one, and it's not even over yet.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 14:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Did you read the books? No, I suppose not.

You do realize that The Hobbit came before The Lord of the Rings, yes? The focus in The Hobbit was not the One Ring, nor its evil character. To Bilbo, it was just a convenient tool. Of course, all this usage of the ring *did* eventually have an effect on Bilbo, as evidenced in the LOTR, when he was lo ...[text shortened]... also give people a good movie to watch and remember, like this one, and it's not even over yet.
    My main point is that the Hobbit book is insanely small compared to the Lord of the rings book but yet they squeezed out the same screen time.

The story of the LOTR is just so much better, as is the development of the movie and it's characters.

IMO they could have made one truly amazing movie but those to make 3 average ones to fill their pockets. And not all movies are produced to make money, probably all Hollywood movies but there's thousands of independent movies out there that the creators knew going in they probably weren't going to make a profit.

I didn't say the focus was on the right I merely pointed put it had much more of an affect on Frodo than Bilbo when the focus was on the ring.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree