1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:17
    I was in grade school during the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. I've seen the cold war come and go, energy crisis of the 70's, savings and loan crisis of the 80's, AIDS and SARS epidemics, Y2K, the 2012 Mayan calendar scare, and now I sit at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, wondering what the next crisis will be. I'm inclined to think it will be a really severe worldwide economic recession, since so many of the world's economies are impacted by this pandemic all at once.

Any predictions?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:33
    @mchill said
    I was in grade school during the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. I've seen the cold war come and go, energy crisis of the 70's, savings and loan crisis of the 80's, AIDS and SARS epidemics, Y2K, the 2012 Mayan calendar scare, and now I sit at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, wondering what the next crisis will be. I'm inclined to think it will be a really severe worldwide econ ...[text shortened]... ce so many of the world's economies are impacted by this pandemic all at once.

Any predictions?
    I agree with a you a recession is coming if it isn't already here.

We don't even know if the world will exist as we know it 100 years or even be here for that matter. Just look at the way things have been going over the past 100 years.

-VR
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:41
    @very-rusty said
    Just look at the way things have been going over the past 100 years.
    I think for most people on Earth ~ that is in terms of both bigger numbers and as a higher proportion of the population ~ I have no doubt that the world is a better place now than it was 100 years ago. It's certainly a better place than it was now than it was mid-C20th, continuing problems and challenges notwithstanding.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:44
    @mchill said
    Any predictions?
    Climate change-related problems. Access to water. Food security issues.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:531 edit
    @fmf said
    I think for most people on Earth ~ that is in terms of both bigger numbers and as a higher proportion of the population ~ I have no doubt that the world is a better place now than it was 100 years ago. It's certainly a better place than it was now than it was mid-C20th, continuing problems and challenges notwithstanding.
    People from a 100 years ago would debate you about rather we've gotten to be a better place. They would also have good reason. Look what we've done to the air, & water, animals once who roamed in herds wipped out. If you call technology as being better that is about it as far as it is being better. Also some cures for old diseases which would kill us, now we have new ones which could be even more dangerous.

-VR
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 11:58
    @very-rusty said
    People from a 100 years ago would debate you about rather we've gotten to be a better place. They would also have good reason. Look what we've done to the air, & water, animals once who roamed in herds wipped out. If you call technology as being better that is about it as far as it is being better. Also some cures for old diseases which would kill us, now we have new ones which could be even more dangerous.

-VR
    I fear for the future of my child.
    There are so many reasons to be fearful.
    I grasp for every positive straw and then end up choking on it like an Orca.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:01
    @very-rusty said
    I disagree. I think in terms of family size, life expectancy, infant mortality, access to health care, quality of health care, access to basic education, literacy, numeracy, observance of human rights, indigenous rights, womens' rights, access to justice, roll back of dictatorships, rollback of national security states, politicians being held to account, the growth and strengthening of civil society, and much more besides, I think more ordinary people [and a higher proportion of living people] have a better life now than in decades and centuries past. The problems you describe are real too, and new problems will arise, but on balance I think the world now is a better place for more people than in the mid-C20th. Having said that, I understand your perspective.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:241 edit
    @fmf said
    I disagree. I think in terms of family size, life expectancy, infant mortality, access to health care, quality of health care, access to basic education, literacy, numeracy, observance of human rights, indigenous rights, womens' rights, access to justice, roll back of dictatorships, rollback of national security states, politicians being held to account, the growth and strengthen ...[text shortened]... better place for more people than in the mid-C20th. Having said that, I understand your perspective.
    Don't even start about indgenous rights the land was stolen from them in the first place. The woman was recently able to vote in the 1900's. Politicians say what they must to get in power then line their own pockets. There is still much bias against people of a different religion or colour, just not put out there as it once was.

How do you think the Trumpster got elected? Your idea of a better life with what is going on in the world right now proves my point not yours. Improvements may have been made but at what expense? How do you figure climate change happened? Why are our fish showing up dead? A better world? I guess it is all in your prospective of what you consider to be a better world.

-VR
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:26
    I'm more than a little concerned about Gold reserves - The tide is going out & now we see who has there pant's still on.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:27
    @wolfe63 said
    I fear for the future of my child.
    There are so many reasons to be fearful.
    I grasp for every positive straw and then end up choking on it like an Orca.
    Wofly,

I hear you loud and clear and have the same concerns of my children, grand-children, and great grand children.

-VR
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:29
    @mchill said
    I was in grade school
    so was i, i remember hiding under my steel tube and pressed board desk to escape certain evaporation by soviet nuclear missiles

one reason the current crisis seems so new and terrifying is that humans have already experienced this and merely fail to remember

humans, in general, do not learn from our collective mistakes
    we will, collectively, repeat the same errors with new names attached to those errors

lol, some will tattoo those names on their skin only to misunderstand the lesson
    again

as for the next crisis, think outside the box
    humans have already pretty much thought up the best ways to obliterate ourselves
    and implemented those things
    imaginations have created scenarios whee asteroids/comets/aliens/sentient stars have all come to search for and destroy human life
    and made a movie out of it -
    so that caviar and champagne can be passed around while discussing the plight of the poor

humanity will die because we haven't remembered the things that have already happened
    and how those things were dealt with

brut, anyone?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 12:361 edit
    @rookie54 said
    so was i, i remember hiding under my steel tube and pressed board desk to escape certain evaporation by soviet nuclear missiles

one reason the current crisis seems so new and terrifying is that humans have already experienced this and merely fail to remember

humans, in general, do not learn from our collective mistakes
    we will, collectively, repeat the same errors wit ...[text shortened]... embered the things that have already happened
    and how those things were dealt with

brut, anyone?
    Will anyone be left for the next big crises? I certainly hope so.

Perhaps everyone forgot what happened 102 years ago, not many were alive for it and if they were too young to remember.

You do have a very good point and make some good points here.

In the end mankind will kill ourselves!

-VR
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 13:06
    @very-rusty said
    Don't even start about indgenous rights the land was stolen from them in the first place. The woman was recently able to vote in the 1900's. Politicians say what they must to get in power then line their own pockets. There is still much bias against people of a different religion or colour, just not put out there as it once was.

How do you think the Trumpster got elect ...[text shortened]... de but at what expense? How do you figure climate change happened? Why are our fish showing up dead?
    I have come across viewpoints like yours before. It's OK. We can agree to disagree.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 13:07
    @very-rusty said
    A better world? I guess it is all in your prospective of what you consider to be a better world.
    Yes, a better world. For the reasons I gave.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 13:09
    @fmf said
    Yes, a better world. For the reasons I gave.
    Yes, you are correct, we can agree to disagree!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree