1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 19:162 edits
    Post your scores here and discuss the programme and questions.
    Apologies to non-UK people – I believe UC is known as "College Bowl" in the USA and perhaps elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t6l0

Quintessential rules for scoring:
    1) 1 point per question, whether a starter or a follow-up (KISS)
    2) You must have said the answer out loud or at least "thought it with reasonably certainty" before the contestants answer to gain a point (sometimes you don't have time to get the words out).
    3) If you think you have the right answer and you say it, and then a contestant says the same answer and you find it's wrong, you have another chance while the opposing team (on the show) has their turn at the answer (this helps to offset the fact that you cannot confer).
    4) If you are playing as a team or pair, please disclose this and the number of players on your side.
    5) I will periodically compose a league table if there is enough interest.
    6) Good luck!

Edit: forgot to mention I will try and keep a total of questions asked during each show to allow calculation of percentages correct.

2013 Episode 1: Aberdeen vs Queen's University
    12 pts (solo)
    E02: St. John's - Cambridge vs Reading
    15/73
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 19:52
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Apologies to non-UK people – I believe UC is known as "College Bowl" in the USA and perhaps elsewhere.

2) You must have said the answer out loud or at least "thought it with reasonably ...[text shortened]... g each show to allow calculation of percentages correct.

2013 Episode 1:
    12 pts (solo)
    Excellent idea, but how will I stop myself from cheating.

Perhaps if you ask a selection of the questions from the programme and keep a tally of our..no hang on, I will probably just wiki or google the answers, still it is a good idea in an ideal world.

This is the kind of thinking that will pump andrenaline into this heart attack of a forum.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 19:55

2) You must have said the answer out loud or at least "thought it with reasonably ...[text shortened]... g each show to allow calculation of percentages correct.

2013 Episode 1:
    12 pts (solo)
    Wut?
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 19:59
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Excellent idea, but how will I stop myself from cheating.

Perhaps if you ask a selection of the questions from the programme and keep a tally of our..no hang on, I will probably just wiki or google the answers, still it is a good idea in an ideal world.

This is the kind of thinking that will pump andrenaline into this heart attack of a forum.
    Be strong.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 20:01
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Wut?
    I've added a link. If you're not in the UK I don't know if you can watch it, but I think the BBC have been opening up access abroad lately.

Seriously, this is the best quiz show there is.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 22:12
    Be strong.
    I do quite like the programme I will catch it on iplayer catch up and get back here.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 15:29
    I do quite like the programme I will catch it on iplayer catch up and get back here.
    3rd episode tomorrow 🙂. Been sharpening your answering reflexes and polishing your knowledge of theoretical physics?

I am starting to think that despite the site's programmer (and presumably owner being English), there are very few people from Blighty on the forums. Or perhaps they've all gone to the beach.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 03:53
    3rd episode tomorrow 🙂. Been sharpening your answering reflexes and polishing your knowledge of theoretical physics?

I am starting to think that despite the site's programmer (and presumably owner being English), there are very few people from Blighty on the forums. Or perhaps they've all gone to the beach.
    I am waiting for a socially acceptable score, can we count the 'starters for ten' 😕
  9. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 04:54
    2 points.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 08:04
    I am waiting for a socially acceptable score, can we count the 'starters for ten' 😕
    Lol, any score is socially acceptable. There probably is no quiz more difficult than this, and you are a team of one while the teams on the show are four.

Just to recap, starters for ten do count but only as one point. If you watched the film Starter for Ten you don't get a point, but please tell me if it's any good 😉.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 08:08
    Originally posted by Velns
    2 points.
    Interesting that you get BBC programmes over in Latvia. Welcome to the thread! Which questions did you get right (if you recall)?
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 17:57
    I'm back from a short holiday in Canada and am going to bump this thread to see if it gets any further takers.

My scores:
    Episdode 3 - Trinity College, Cambridge vs Christ Church College, Oxford
    15 pts

Episode 4 - Durham vs Queen's College, Cambridge
    18 pts

A helpful person called Aziz has been posting the episodes on Youtube, useful if you are outside the UK. You'll find his videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXVDev9EYq7i1dGyZ4NfFMw?feature=watch
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 21:57
    Episode 5 - Loughborough vs Clare College, Cambridge
    19 pts.

Particularly happy that I got 3/4 questions on the second picture round featuring the works of great artists.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 19:44
    Hmmmmm... It's not exactly "Jeopardy!", is it?

*ducking and running*
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 21:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hmmmmm... It's not exactly "Jeopardy!", is it?

*ducking and running*
    I probably have never seen an episode of Jeopardy (maybe when I was 3-7 and living in the States, but I'm reasonably familiar with it through various parodies. Did you watch any of the University Challenge episodes? Is Jeopardy really harder? That I'd have to see. It may even get a thread 🙂.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree