1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 11:48
    @drewnogal said
    There appears to be a ridiculous price increase on large packs of dried foods in Amazon, ie quinoa, rice, raisins and nuts plus an extortionate price for postage and packing.

On an order of £33.00 I was being charged £20.00 for p&p!
    What would you normally expect p&p to be?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 11:56
    In Ontario they were charging 30.00 for a jar of sanitary wipes which is ridiculous even Doug Ford a Politician said something had to be done about the price gouging.

-VR
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 11:57
    @very-rusty said
    In Ontario they were charging 30.00 for a jar of sanitary wipes which is ridiculous even Doug Ford a Politician said something had to be done about the price gouging.

-VR
    How many wipes?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 12:13
    @wolfgang59 said
    How many wipes?
    Here is the full story if you are really interested.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-premier-slams-high-end-toronto-grocery-store-for-selling-30-lysol-wipes-1.4869065

-VR
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:06
    Just learned that those wily Neanderthals had indeed learned to fish and fish was about half of their diet (sharks, dolphins, crustacians) - some 80,000 years ago, Portugal.

Dumb dumbs - they were not
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 07:09
    @very-rusty said
    Here is the full story if you are really interested.
    Nah. Just kidding.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 07:252 edits
    @fmf said
    What would you normally expect p&p to be?
    About 10-15%?

I’ll check the order to see exactly which particular company item/s were giving the charge as some items were free as they came direct via Amazon Prime.

Here’s one -
    Camil Brazilian black beans £4.99 for 1kg, £10.99 for delivery! That’s a 220% delivery charge.

Have you ever heard of items there or in ebay which are ridiculously cheap but have an extortionately high delivery charge?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7821395/Amazon-tries-charge-customer-nearly-10-000-deliver-4-99-gift-time-Christmas.html
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 07:38
    @petewxyz said
    Making curry from frozen veg is great. Also fry onion in spice and then when it is really mushy and it has taken the flavour of the spice fry tinned fish for a short while, but not long enough to fall to bits. Tastes good. Makes you value spices when there is less fresh food in the house!
    Love veggie curries 😋 and frozen veg is really useful. I also boil large batches of beans and freeze them in those reusable, washable, zip-up bags so I can grab a handful when I need them.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 09:24
    @drewnogal said
    About 10-15%?

I’ll check the order to see exactly which particular company item/s were giving the charge as some items were free as they came direct via Amazon Prime.

Here’s one -
    Camil Brazilian black beans £4.99 for 1kg, £10.99 for delivery! That’s a 220% delivery charge.

Have you ever heard of items there or in ebay which are ridiculously cheap but have an e ...[text shortened]... ews/article-7821395/Amazon-tries-charge-customer-nearly-10-000-deliver-4-99-gift-time-Christmas.html
    It's like when they sell second hand books for a few pennies but then charge £2.80 delivery and if you get a second book the delivery is doubled even from the same seller. I start wondering if I should be getting books on the Kindle App instead, but I like that reading isn't screen time and come to think of it, I also just like books as objects a bit. is that wrong??
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 11:361 edit
    @petewxyz said
    It's like when they sell second hand books for a few pennies but then charge £2.80 delivery and if you get a second book the delivery is doubled even from the same seller. I start wondering if I should be getting books on the Kindle App instead, but I like that reading isn't screen time and come to think of it, I also just like books as objects a bit. is that wrong??
    If it makes you happy then it’s worth it. That’s why I like buying foods straight from local farms at a higher price than the supermarkets.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 12:20
    @petewxyz said
    Get 'em from a library...they're free. 🤔 Plus ya get exercise to boot.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 12:51
    @petewxyz said
    It's like when they sell second hand books for a few pennies but then charge £2.80 delivery and if you get a second book the delivery is doubled even from the same seller.
    What does "it" refer to in the sentence above?
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 12:50
    One of us is celebrating a birthday here today 🎂

Happy Birthday RHP friend.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 12:551 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    Get 'em from a library...they're free. 🤔 Plus ya get exercise to boot.
    We shouldn't visit libraries now, should we? I bought four books instead. Not so cheap but they are mine. 🙂
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 13:24
    @drewnogal said
    One of us is celebrating a birthday here today 🎂

Happy Birthday RHP friend.
    I phoned him/her last night and sang Happy Birthday to her/him. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree