1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 13:38
    @fmf said
    What does "it" refer to in the sentence above?
    Seriously? The sentence is from a post that begins with a quote about rip off delivery costs. 'It' refers to the experience of being ripped off by delivery costs such that an apparent bargain isn't a bargain. Keep up!
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 13:43
    @torunn said
    We shouldn't visit libraries now, should we? I bought four books instead. Not so cheap but they are mine. 🙂
    Owning books is nice and if you buy them second hand and donate the ones you don't think you'll read again to book exchanges what's the difference. I do like to support our local library though. They are good people who run all kinds of diverse groups with a real sense of contributing to community and social inclusion. They loan out litter picking kit now which is cool.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 14:01
    @petewxyz said
    Owning books is nice and if you buy them second hand and donate the ones you don't think you'll read again to book exchanges what's the difference. I do like to support our local library though. They are good people who run all kinds of diverse groups with a real sense of contributing to community and social inclusion. They loan out litter picking kit now which is cool.
    I donate my used (read) books to our local library and they then have a book sale, once a year, to help with the extracurricular activities. I have asked for some pretty obscure books and they seem to be able to get them for me. Now there have been times when it's taken "some" time, once 6 months, to get them and, if the truth be known I'd forgotten that I'd ordered it but they did manage to track it down. One recent one they managed to borrow from a nearby university library. Small town tenacity perhaps. 😉
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 14:45
    @great-big-stees said
    I donate my used (read) books to our local library and they then have a book sale, once a year, to help with the extracurricular activities. I have asked for some pretty obscure books and they seem to be able to get them for me. Now there have been times when it's taken "some" time, once 6 months, to get them and, if the truth be known I'd forgotten that I'd ordered i ...[text shortened]... recent one they managed to borrow from a nearby university library. Small town tenacity perhaps. 😉
    Sounds like you are quite active in your community!

-VR
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 08:12
    @petewxyz said
    Owning books is nice and if you buy them second hand and donate the ones you don't think you'll read again to book exchanges what's the difference. I do like to support our local library though.
    Lilliput libraries in NZ is a way to share books. "Guardians" have small
    boxes full of books on the border of their property and passers-by
    are welcome to take a book or leave a book. Quite a few schools are
    involved too. I've often taken a book at the playground while watching
    the kids and we have taken our finished books back.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 08:15
    @great-big-stees said
    I donate my used (read) books to our local library and they then have a book sale, once a year,
    Our local theatre "The Regent" have a massive 24 hour
    book sale each year (delayed this year for obvious reasons!).
    We donate everything that we cannot fit into Lilliput
    Library. And we buy lots of bargain books then recycle.
    People need to do this more.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '20 12:381 edit
    I put on a spring jacket and found a $50.00 bill in it. Eureka!!!

Edit: Turns out it wasn't mine. 😢
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '20 12:481 edit
    @great-big-stees said

That reminds of me of a time I got stopped by the police on a trip to check on my rental which is about 2-3 hour away depending on traffic. Anyways I was about half way there and saw a police car on the other side parked and as I went by he come after me with lights flashing only no siren. I pulled over right away to the right and came to a stop.

He asked for the usual drivers licence, insurance, ownership papers, well I passed him my insurance and ownership papers, then last my drivers license he looked at it pulled it out of the plastic case I had it in and out popped a 50.00 dollar bill. I had forgotten I put it there as emergency money just incase I ever needed it, must have been there over a year or so. He passed it to me and said this must be your mad money. I just said yes officer.

First thought came to my mind was that he would think I was trying to bribe him for what ever he was stopping me for. Turned out a big white Van like the one I was driving was involved in a hit and run which explains why he walked all around the van. After that I didn't keep a fifty with my license anymore found another place in my card holder to hide it.

-VR
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    31 Mar '20 12:48
    @great-big-stees said

You could always buy it off them for $50
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '20 12:52
    @petewxyz said
    You could always buy it off them for $50
    My bet is the jacket was worth more than 50.00 if he found a 50.00 in it that was just pocket change for the guy!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree