1. In your face
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 11:37
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    On this unidentified island, a person answers yes to your question. He may be a truthteller, in which case this is the Truth Island, but he may be a liar, in which case this is the Liar Island. You haven't established which island you're on. Same goes if the person answered no. Since you don't know if your respondent is a liar or a truthteller you've actually learned nothing.
    I don't understand it either but if you draw the two islands with a T and L in them and ask each one you do indeed get the specified output. You don't know which person is telling the truth or lying but you can tell which island you are on.

Maybe someone into Boolean algebra could express it as a function and put the results in a truth table. This might make the answer a bit more logical.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 11:46
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I don't understand it either but if you draw the two islands with a T and L in them and ask each one you do indeed get the specified output. You don't know which person is telling the truth or lying but you can tell which island you are on.

Maybe someone into Boolean algebra could express it as a function and put the results in a truth table. This might make the answer a bit more logical.
    Boo Who?
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 11:52
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage

That's all too complicated for me.
    My areas are Law and English.

I was always bad at maths and especially ALGEBRA 😕
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 12:12
    Originally posted by ale1552
    I know the answer but I have forgotten it. 🙂 😛
    Haha me too! I wanted to post it yesterday and wrote 2 solutions neither of which were correct. It is a good puzzle.

Happy birthday btw 🙂
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 12:15
    The solution is along the line of ...

Ask one member of one island this ... if i asked a member of the other island if their island was the truth island, what would they say?

From the response it is possible to deduce which is which.

Or maybe not.... 😕
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 12:27
    Now you know what it's like if you are trying to
    examine a witness in court and verify their version
    of ( the truth ).

May I shoot this witness your honour?

No. You can't go around shooting witnesses.

Please?

No.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree