Truth

Truth

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Sep 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
It is what it is. The fuel gauge can only render data as it sees it. Comparing a fuel gauge with a person is incredibly shallow and, ultimately, self serving. You can twist it around to make it seem to say whatever you want it to say. All gauges and devices like that only generate data and must have a person on the other end to do analysis and to make ...[text shortened]... the data. And no, the data is not "truth" by itself. No matter how "zen" you wanna try and be.
Aren't we just sensory devices collecting data?

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
30 Sep 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
no,
free thinking intelligence allows us to make decisions based upon data or whim...
machines have yet to make independent decisions...

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
30 Sep 18

Originally posted by @handyandy
If the fuel gauge says empty and fuel remains in the tank, is the gauge lying, i.e., imparting an untruth?
no,
a machine has no autonomy to decide what is "true" or "false", it merely reports data that it is designed to collect...

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
30 Sep 18

When the fuel gauge in your car points to empty, how much fuel remains in the tank?
you have seen, i hope, that there are gauges designed to collect data, and there are precision gauges designed to collect the same data, only more precisely...
a fuel gauge is only designed to give the operator of the machine a relative report of one status of his machine...
for instance,
would you be willing to assert that the tire pressure in all four tires (or three or two or however many tires you have running or in spare)
is exactly the same?

of course not, most humans are not so easily fooled by mere machinery...

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Sep 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
We can collect data, yes, but our value lies in analyzing said data.

Gauges do not analyze data, and so we are more than mere gauges.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Sep 18

An analyser is a person or device that analyses given data. It examines
in detail the structure of the given data and tries to find patterns and
relationships between parts of the data. An analyser can be a piece of
hardware or a computer program running on a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyser

Ol' Dirty Heathen

I'm Naked!

Moves
01 Oct 18

Would you say that the fuel gauge is truthful, but only in a general sense?
Yes I do, to a degree. But only knowing that "filled up" and "empty" are somewhat malleable in a sense. As for the shape of the tank, have you ever noticed the first half may seem to longer than the second half of the tank?

Read a book!

Moves
01 Oct 18

It is what it is. The fuel gauge can only render data as it sees it. Comparing a fuel gauge with a person is incredibly shallow and, ultimately, self serving. You can twist it around to make it seem to say whatever you want it to say. All gauges and devices like that only generate data and must have a person on the other end to do analysis and to make ...[text shortened]... the data. And no, the data is not "truth" by itself. No matter how "zen" you wanna try and be.
I was only trying to start a light-hearted conversation on the elusiveness of truth.

I'm disappointed that you find the idea incredibly shallow and self-serving.

Read a book!

Moves
01 Oct 18

Originally posted by @mudfinger
Yes I do, to a degree. But only knowing that "filled up" and "empty" are somewhat malleable in a sense. As for the shape of the tank, have you ever noticed the first half may seem to longer than the second half of the tank?
Yes, the needle seems to move slower for the top half. Is it psychological?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Oct 18

When the fuel gauge in your car points to empty, how much fuel remains in the tank?
hopefully enough to roll upto the next servo. As it so happened before I got here today.. 3 dollars worth of petrol is barely 2 litres... oh well. enough to make it home 🙂

(there are levels of truth in those words)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Oct 18

Would you say that the fuel gauge is truthful, but only in a general sense?
a truism you say??

Moves
01 Oct 18

Nevertheless, I am a machine for turning tea into database analyses.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
01 Oct 18

Also take into account that People especially in the US are open to go to court on the silliest reasons (think "hot beverage"😉.

So manufactureres set the empty so that at least some mileage is still in (probably not 100 km in General), so that nobody brings them to court to obtain a horrendous amount of Money since the needle was just on empty and it was already empty.
"Empty" means: There is still a small rest that even under the worst imaginable circumstances (steepness of road, temperature, Speed, curves,...) Keep the Motor running.