1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 21:17
    Everyone is happy and purchasing and talking about nice meals and gifts. They are dragging murdered trees and garlands and order roast meat at bakeries.
    I hate it. Again I will spend that time as a main character in Gogol´s "The Overcoat". I´ll have to stretch food on a whole week so as to survive the days when stores are closed. In cold apartment, with PC and TV as only functioning appliances, working on two small translations to make ends meet until Spring. It´s the time for happiness and for spending. Step forward happy and loaded people. The rest step back.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 21:27
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Everyone is happy and purchasing and talking about nice meals and gifts. They are dragging murdered trees and garlands and order roast meat at bakeries.
    I hate it. Again I will spend that time as a main character in Gogol´s "The Overcoat". I´ll have to stretch food on a whole week so as to survive the days when stores are closed. In cold apartment, wit ...[text shortened]... e time for happiness and for spending. Step forward happy and loaded people. The rest step back.
    I don't understand how two days of the banks being closed has such a cataclysmic impact on your day to day living.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:331 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't understand how two days of the banks being closed has such a cataclysmic impact on your day to day living.
    It's not just the stores being closed - although here that's only one day. It's all that busy-busy-busy rushing around, look how happy I am, I have all this christmas shopping to do and food to prepare and a house to tart up and family and friends and children and excitement .....

just bad luck if you live alone, far from your loved ones (even if you still have any who haven't gone to heaven), aren't affluent and have your meagre income sources cut off for several weeks. Still, on the bright side, none of those horrible family Christmas fights will happen at your place ...
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:34
    Christmas. Consumeristic orgy on one hand, suicide rise on the other. You will be jolly damnit!
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:54
    Well I, for one, am grateful for the paid time off from work. Even if I had no family around, there would still be the simple joys of sleeping in and sipping whisky by the fire. 😛
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 06:19
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It's not just the stores being closed - although here that's only one day. It's all that busy-busy-busy rushing around, look how happy I am, I have all this christmas shopping to do and food to prepare and a house to tart up and family and friends and children and excitement .....

just bad luck if you live alone, far from your loved ones (even if you stil ...[text shortened]... on the bright side, none of those horrible family Christmas fights will happen at your place ...
    I get how being on your own at anytime can become a drag but I certainly don't understand how the consumerism of the masses would impact my happiness. I don't get caught up in it, never have done especially after spending many years working in retail earlier in life - I avoid the christmas feeding frenzy at all costs. In fact the few purchases I've made this year have been online only.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 15:47
    Originally posted by Kewpie

just bad luck if you live alone, far from your loved ones (even if you stil ...[text shortened]... on the bright side, none of those horrible family Christmas fights will happen at your place ...
    The Season is what you make it.

I have no relatives left in town, but my house is full of friends who might as well be family.

Same with our daily lives, we can choose to live alone and be bitter and resentful, or we can fill our days with life, love and laughter. It's our choice.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 15:49
    Originally posted by apathist
    Christmas. Consumeristic orgy on one hand, suicide rise on the other. You will be jolly damnit!
    Instead of succumbing to the mandate, why not choose it yourself?

We all deserve to be happy, but we do have to choose it to make it work.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 15:52
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Well I, for one, am grateful for the paid time off from work. Even if I had no family around, there would still be the simple joys of sleeping in and sipping whisky by the fire. 😛
    Now see, that's the spirit. Have a bigdogg cookie. 🙂
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 15:59
    I hate it. Again I will spend that time as a main character in Gogol´s "The Overcoat". I´ll have to stretch food on a whole week so as to survive the days when stores are closed. In cold apartment, wit ...[text shortened]... e time for happiness and for spending. Step forward happy and loaded people. The rest step back.
    I once cut a tree down in March, just to watch it die.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 15:59
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    BDP,

What is your favourite whiskey? Back in the day mine use to be Seagram's VO I believe it was called. I'd go through a 40 ouncer of that, then start to party....LOL... Yup one little drink was too many, and 1000 wasn't enough. I am so happy to be past all that now. 😉

-VR
  12. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 17:471 edit
    Just another day to me but this year is the anniversary of the drowning of a friend I was living with. Got caught in a rip with his girlfriend and he drowned probably because he was drinking. This Christmas I plan to sleep in again.
  13. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The Season is what you make it.

I have no relatives left in town, but my house is full of friends who might as well be family.

Same with our daily lives, we can choose to live alone and be bitter and resentful, or we can fill our days with life, love and laughter. It's our choice.
    What do your friends say when you keep leaving them to blog on a chess site.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:09
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    What do your friends say when you keep leaving them to blog on a chess site.
    They say, "Wow, that Captain Strange sure has the right name."
  15. RSA
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:25
    I have to say I also HATE it when people cut trees for Christmas. It takes the wind and rain years to make a tree and it takes a couple minutes to destroy that hard work. I also just don't get the joy in watching it die slowly. Not jolly at all, not one little bit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree