1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 11:46
    I am always tempted. Like some of the writers in these Forums... I have developed a debatable habit.

That of fetching obscure nouns and adjectives from the dustiest dictionaries on the bookshelf!

While I cannot deny that indulging in the practice satisfies my intellect; when I do, I do wonder if actual ideas are being conveyed.
    The English language is potentially the most evocative on the planet.

But if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 12:22
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I am always tempted. Like some of the writers in these Forums... I have developed a debatable habit.

That of fetching obscure nouns and adjectives from the dustiest dictionaries on the bookshelf!

While I cannot deny that indulging in the practice satisfies my intellect; when I do, I do wonder if actual ideas are being conveyed.
    The English languag ...[text shortened]... ut if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?
    Fear not sir, some of us always have a hand-held thesaurus upon our personage.
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 13:00
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Fear not sir, some of us always have a hand-held thesaurus upon our personage.
    😀 Indeed...pretense is more fun!
    To hell with Orwell's Rules and Occam's Razor.
    "If you've got it...flaunt it" baby...oh yeah!
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 13:09
    Maybe you would enjoy Thread 175692.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 20:08

The English languag ...[text shortened]... ut if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?
    What is your improvinational quotient?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 04:11
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What is your improvinational quotient?
    Is that where you make up what country you're from?
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 09:32
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Is that where you make up what country you're from?
    I'm from a State of Confusion.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 23:13

The English language really doesn't make any sense at times, my favourite is live and live, how can two words which pronounced differently and mean different things be spelt the same?
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 01:38
    Originally posted by @trev33
    The English language really doesn't make any sense at times, my favourite is live and live, how can two words which pronounced differently and mean different things be spelt the same?
    Context, context, context
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 02:34
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Repeating this word in this way creates a new context for it.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 02:48
    What about the oarsman and his wife who were rowing about who should do the rowing?
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 06:59
    Not quite on topic perhaps, but I wonder why - as in thread Last Word Sentences - it is often easier to make a new word starting at the end of the last word rather than the beginning?
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 09:02
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Tell that to someone learning the language, we're brought up with it and similar things but it makes it overly complicated for them.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 09:28
    Tell that to someone learning the language, we're brought up with it and similar things but it makes it overly complicated for them.
    It does, many things in English do. English grammar gets more complicated when you get into the language. It seems easy at first. When I studied English at school, we learned that it has few rules but many exceptions to them. You have to learn them by and by.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 10:38
    There are many anomalies in the dear old English language, and I have made so bold as to compose a limerick concerning one of them, so with your permission;

If a womb is the place we begin it
    And a tomb we put dead people in it
    Then a comb should be coomb
    And a bomb should go boom
    It' a funny old language though, innit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree