1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 14:28
    Wrote this earlier today following a lovely encounter with a bird in my back garden.

Untitled
    I don’t know exactly what kind of bird he is, but the volume of his song doesn’t seem to match his size. I hear him singing from deep inside the house and going to the back door expect to see something large and bright. But he is so small and dark, perched on the fern, singing his little heart out. I try to replicate his call, inferior of course in both sound and melody, but sufficient it seemed to get his attention. He hops to a nearer branch and repeats his tune, as though a music teacher correcting a student.

Anybody else enjoying birds more during the lock down?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 14:351 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    We have a blackbird in our garden (a condominium) that sings beautifully, especially in the evenings. First I think to attract a partner, then to protect his territory. So I have been told. The Swedish composer Lars-Erik Larsson said that the blackbird's singing is the most beautiful sound he could think of.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 14:35
    a week or so ago
    two squirrels boinkin in a tree next door
    really goin at it
    a blue jay takes offense and begins divebombing the tree rats
    interrupting the coitus

i could not reach a camera quickly enough
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 14:37
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Wrote this earlier today following a lovely encounter with a bird in my back garden.

Untitled
    I don’t know exactly what kind of bird he is, but the volume of his song doesn’t seem to match his size. I hear him singing from deep inside the house and going to the back door expect to see something large and bright. But he is so small and dark, perched on the fern, ...[text shortened]... h a music teacher correcting a student.

nice
    I'm enjoying some very loud crows
    love them
    miss my blue jays though
    hope they return soon
    keeping a bowl of peanuts for them
    and the squirrels
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 15:00
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Untitled
    I don’t know exactly what kind of bird he is, but the volume of his song doesn’t seem to match his size. I hear him singing from deep inside the house and going to the back door expect to see something large and bright. But he is so small and dark, perched on the fern, ...[text shortened]... h a music teacher correcting a student.

Great post Ghost.

I love to watch birds at the feeder in the morning. They seem cheerful. Their singing always signals promise of a new day.

The glorious pair of Sandhill Cranes may not sing as well but they do not have to, they're bird royalty around here and they know it.

Until the Cranes arrive, squirrels get dibs at the trough. Cardinals and Jays fight for seconds. It's a numbers game. The outnumbered are relegated to scavenging seedlings. But the wise and lucky Kestrels wait for me and a refill.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 15:07
    @wolfe63 said
    I love to watch birds at the feeder in the morning. They seem cheerful. Their singing always signals promise of a new day.
    every time i begin to think anthropomorphologically and attribute sweetness to avian "singing",
    i am reminded of the words of my seventh grade biology teacher -

"those are not songs"
    "those are fierce war cries and death is about to follow"

birds are no less than vikings in their plundering viciousness
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 15:32
    Nice to know I'm not alone. Before lockdown, I never made time in my morning routine to listen to the birds. I hope I don't return to that when this madness ends.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 15:33
    @rookie54 said

Surely the opening line of a best seller.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 15:39
    My favourite bird is the bluejay!

Not that I am a bird watcher, but always enjoy seeing a bluejay. Perhaps because it is also my favourite colour.

-VR
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 17:07
    @rookie54 said
    every time i begin to think anthropomorphologically and attribute sweetness to avian "singing",
    i am reminded of the words of my seventh grade biology teacher -

"those are not songs"
    "those are fierce war cries and death is about to follow"

I don't want it to be true, but I know that you're right. It's actually like gang warfare out there. Size matters. So does aggression.

I guess, to a large degree, I imbue them with my sense of idealism. It hasn't been a conscious choice. Rather, its borne of my own profound want for peace and order.

In the bird world; it's all about pecking order.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 18:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Untitled

Mockingbird?
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 18:57
    @handyandy said
    Mockingbird?
    Not native to the UK, but would make a good title.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 19:05
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Not native to the UK, but would make a good title.
    To Kill a Mockingbird...
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 19:19
    @torunn said
    To Kill a Mockingbird...
    To Kill a Mockingbird is a 1962 American drama film directed by Robert Mulligan. The screenplay by Horton Foote is based on Harper Lee's 1960 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name. It stars Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch and Mary Badham as Scout.

Andy would remember Gregory Peck I would assume!

-VR
  15. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 20:20
    I loved watching the squirrels bury the peanuts while being watched by the blue jays who would then take the peanuts away
    there was a squirrel I named short tail who would greet me at my doorstep most days and a couple of jays who would perch on my railing waiting for some peanuts
    but now the crows have dominated
    very smart birds
    once in awhile a chicken hawk will land in my yard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree