1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 14:181 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Oh, I'm sorry, I glanced over your post and thought you were trying to do that "burn-your-own-CD" thing that was totally hip and kewl back in 1998.

Still, get an MP3-player, gramps.

Or a FLAC-player, if you're one of those hipsters who likes to pretend he can hear a difference between .WAV and 320 kbps.

Personally, I hook up my Ipod to my hom ...[text shortened]... n to delicious 192 kbps or 320 kbps. And my ears are still young, because I'm not a gramps, yet.
    You still don't quite understand what I am doing. I know all about FLAC and such. I have a recording studio and I compose music and record them using Cakewalk Sonar as the DAW. And a few others like Wavelab.

You think just because I am 70+ I don't know about all this new fangled audio stuff.

I think it safe to say I know a LOT more than you ever will.

My problem, to reiterate, is a long time ago I made my own self produced CD and it plays fine and in fact most of it IS converted to MP3 which I put to dropbox and other cloud bases.

MP3 you get with Sonar and there are free ones you can download.

That is not the issue.

The issue is I must have done something wrong when I first recorded my CD. I still have the original files on my comp, gigabytes in fact, but I would rather work with the CD as it is because the files are all in one place.

But it does not come out as a WAV file at least using windows media player. I just wanted to take each track and put it back in the computer but it looks like I will have to go back to the original files on Sonar on my DAW comp.

I ported most of my recording software to a nice laptop, a Lenovo pro and it records great, and I also use a Tascam DR44 4 track mini recorder which can record MP3 directly or 44.1 CD level or higher yet, 96K 24 bit which is much better than CD quality.

Even though that rate takes a lot more than the 11 megabytes per minute of CD level, flash drives are getting up to terabyte levels these days so storage space is not an issue any more, I can have a terabyte of space in a 4 track recorder the size of an old transistor radio now that costs only 300 bucks, whereas 20 years ago it would have been near impossible to have anything of that kind of quality in such a small platform. Back then you could get cd and 96K recorders that used tape but cost something like $10,000 +.

Anyway the CD does not announce itself as a WAV file even though it plays after some urging, in Win Media. It also plays fine in any CD player.

That is my dilemma. Why can't I read it out as a WAV file yet still play it as a WAV.

Win media player sucks for sure. I hit alt to no effect and I am on work comp now and have the same screen as home. I may have to load up an old version of Sonar on my family machine at home to deal with this issue. I think I can upload the tracks to Sonar and it will recognize them as WAV files. I think.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 14:24
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Oh, I'm sorry, I glanced over your post and thought you were trying to do that "burn-your-own-CD" thing that was totally hip and kewl back in 1998.

Still, get an MP3-player, gramps.

Or a FLAC-player, if you're one of those hipsters who likes to pretend he can hear a difference between .WAV and 320 kbps.

Personally, I hook up my Ipod to my hom ...[text shortened]... n to delicious 192 kbps or 320 kbps. And my ears are still young, because I'm not a gramps, yet.
    Not a gramps yet,
    Your time will come, everyone gets there eventually. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Providing you don't pass of something in the meantime. ๐Ÿ˜›

Regards,
    -VR
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 14:40
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Not a gramps yet,
    Your time will come, everyone gets there eventually. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Providing you don't pass of something in the meantime. ๐Ÿ˜›

Regards,
    -VR
    I talked to our resident computer guru at work, MSEE and such, he has something like 30 computers with 8 running full time at home and probably 4 at work. Anyway, he thinks the problem with my CD, which I will see tomorrow, he thinks the CD is mixed data/audio.

He has a linux machine at work which should be able to suss out why it does not read as a WAV file. Like I said, the weird part is that dam CD will play in any player but when Win Media gets hold of it I have to go through a couple of windows to get it to play and when I hit properties it says it is only 44 bytes and file size 4096 bytes.

No file ID at all. It is definitely not MP3 or any other compressed file like FLAC which cuts the file size in half from CD level.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 15:322 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I talked to our resident computer guru at work, MSEE and such, he has something like 30 computers with 8 running full time at home and probably 4 at work. Anyway, he thinks the problem with my CD, which I will see tomorrow, he thinks the CD is mixed data/audio.

He has a linux machine at work which should be able to suss out why it does not read as a WAV ...[text shortened]... y not MP3 or any other compressed file like FLAC which cuts the file size in half from CD level.
    Sonhouse,
    I am completely lost when it comes to that stuff. A friend of mine who recently passed use to be a whiz around computers. He built 3 altogether for me and my lady friend. Always liked having the latest stuff available. Wanted to set up a Website for me, but I figured I'd have no use for that anyways.

He passed last year of the dreaded "C" word, we had been friends since 1993. We met at a chess club I started going to, after I quit drinking. He pretty much looked after any problems I might have. He too had just quit drinking, I had quit the year before in 1992. Made sure I had all the latest protection stuff for my computer.

I have my niece's husband now, who is pretty handy around computers also, when it comes to using different programs,etc., etc. Apparently there is a machine now you can buy costs around 150.00 dollars Canadian. Then you don't have to pay for cable anymore. I don't know if it is legal though, have to look more into it.

Regards,
    -VR
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 15:401 edit
    Sonhouse,
    I am completely lost when it comes to that stuff. A friend of mine who recently passed use to be a whiz around computers. He built 3 altogether for me and my lady friend. Always liked having the latest stuff available. Wanted to set up a Website for me, but I figured I'd have no use for that anyways.

He passed last year o ...[text shortened]... r cable anymore. I don't know if it is legal though, have to look more into it.

Regards,
    -VR
    What do you mean you don't have to pay for cable any more? I pay 70 bucks a month for only 5 meg line. Are you talking about internet or TV. I pay 70 for internet plus another 120 for TV, which is BS to me since I only watch 3 or 4 channels maximum. NASA channel, tennis channel, movie channel and local news channel and maybe CNN or something.

They give us over a hundred channels of bullshyte. Well I also watch national geographic channel but less than ten total, but you can't get it like that.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 15:541 edit
    What do you mean you don't have to pay for cable any more? I pay 70 bucks a month for only 5 meg line. Are you talking about internet or TV. I pay 70 for internet plus another 120 for TV, which is BS to me since I only watch 3 or 4 channels maximum. NASA channel, tennis channel, movie channel and local news channel and maybe CNN or something.

They give u ...[text shortened]... also watch national geographic channel but less than ten total, but you can't get it like that.
    Sonhouse,
    From what I understand there is this machine you buy which can get you cable for free. I don't know about the internet. Apparently you can get all the channels you were getting and more. The thing is I don't know if it is legal. I would have to find out more about it. My Brother-In-Law told me about it. It would be a really, really, big saving. But if it isn't legal I probably will not do it.

Right now I have a bundle package they call it that I get. Phone, internet, cable, & a security system for my place. I believe for 205.00 Canadian a month that I am getting a pretty good deal. Like you there is a lot of t.v. channels I get that are garbage. I never watch them. You have no choice though as they come with the bundle.

Regards,
    -VR
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 16:17
    Sonhouse,
    From what I understand there is this machine you buy which can get you cable for free. I don't know about the internet. Apparently you can get all the channels you were getting and more. The thing is I don't know if it is legal. I would have to find out more about it. My Brother-In-Law told me about it. It would be a really, r ...[text shortened]... ge. I never watch them. You have no choice though as they come with the bundle.

Regards,
    -VR
    That freebie thing probably hacks into netflix or some such. My son uses Hulu which costs about 10 bucks a month US but doesn't have live tv, only older recorded shows and movies, lots of movies,

I still want to watch tennis and NASA and the rest so I won't do Hulu just yet. Netflix is about 10 bucks a month also and has a lineup similar to Hulu but I jus canceled them, they were billing my checking account for 10 bucks a month for the last 6 months, I hadn't looked closely at my statement๐Ÿ™‚ and I canceled when I found out. It was supposed to be free for a year but Netflix never got the word from Dish network and they were charging me and I think in all that time I may have watched one show on netflix. Not worth it.

The movies I wanted to watch are not there. I would love to get 'the gods must be crazy'

Part 1 and 2 but they are nowhere in sight.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 17:11
    That freebie thing probably hacks into netflix or some such. My son uses Hulu which costs about 10 bucks a month US but doesn't have live tv, only older recorded shows and movies, lots of movies,

I still want to watch tennis and NASA and the rest so I won't do Hulu just yet. Netflix is about 10 bucks a month also and has a lineup similar to Hulu but I ju ...[text shortened]... ere. I would love to get 'the gods must be crazy'

I don't know if I am explaining this properly. You buy a machine that costs about 150.00 Canadian, I assume there would be tax on it as there is on everything. What I've been told is you can then get it hooked up so you get all the Cable channels for free. The thing I don't know is if it is Legal. I don't believe it has anything to do with netflix that is something entirely different.

I can let you know when I find out more about it later in the week, if you want.

Regards,
    -VR
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 17:34
    I don't know if I am explaining this properly. You buy a machine that costs about 150.00 Canadian, I assume there would be tax on it as there is on everything. What I've been told is you can then get it hooked up so you get all the Cable channels for free. The thing I don't know is if it is Legal. I don't believe it has anything to do with netflix that is ...[text shortened]... can let you know when I find out more about it later in the week, if you want.

Regards,
    -VR
    Sure, let me know. In the meantime, back to WAV files๐Ÿ™‚
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 17:37
    The movies I wanted to watch are not there. I would love to get 'the gods must be crazy'

I don't know about just watching them, but if you want to own them they are both available on ebay. Supposedly never used.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 18:11
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I don't know about just watching them, but if you want to own them they are both available on ebay. Supposedly never used.
    Well, nowhere in sight on Netfix or Hulu and the like. I think they put films in vaults and don't let them out for 20 years or some such so the versions on Ebay have to be from original issue.

I probably will bid on them though....
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 19:41
    Well, nowhere in sight on Netfix or Hulu and the like. I think they put films in vaults and don't let them out for 20 years or some such so the versions on Ebay have to be from original issue.

I probably will bid on them though....
    I did find the options button here at work and will try at home.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 20:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    that doesn't even make sense, jw.org is not software ๐Ÿ™„ are you struggling for ways to vilify robbie duffo bonker?
    Robbie does that all on his own quite well, thank you.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 20:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Robbie does that all on his own quite well, thank you.
    I think Bonko was just pulling his chain๐Ÿ™‚
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '16 16:12
    The problem turns out to be just windows sucks. My computer guru buddy at work translated my tunes with linux directly and it read it as a wav file just fine and he transcribed the tunes individually to a thumb drive. So I can work with each tune and make CD #3.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree