1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 08:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sure, let me know. In the meantime, back to WAV files🙂
    But I never really got my question answered.

Why .wav files, and not .mp3? I would think the .mp3 format is more portable to other devices.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 10:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But I never really got my question answered.

Why .wav files, and not .mp3? I would think the .mp3 format is more portable to other devices.
    Wav files are full CD quality. It is better than the best MP3 and you are right, MP3 is much better for some apps like sending music files through email. My home email server has a limit of 5 megs it can gulp at one time and a 3 minute Wav file is about 33 megs so it would never fly through email.

But you can convert a Wav file to some flavor of Mp3, the converter would have several layers, from terrible sound but very small file size to much better but much bigger file size.

For instance, I email Kelly Jay, I sent some music to him, he was curious as to what I compose. So the first one I sent was an Mp3 but it clocked in at 6 megabytes and my email jammed.

So I went back to the original Wav file which was over 40 megs and down converted to a lower bit rate MP3 which would not sound quite as good as a higher bit rate Mp3 but I was now down to 4.5 megs and that one went through.

It turned out my whole problem with my own self produced CD was Windows media player just could not convert the files on my CD to recognize it as a Wav file even though it would play there.

My buddy at work used Linux and it read the files as Wav with no trouble and he recorded the files to a thumb drive which I took home and downloaded into my family machine just fine and was recognized as Wav files.

So that ended THAT little saga.

If you want to hear some, PM me an email address, I will send you some of my music. I don't abuse email.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 16:32
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    Why are you using outdated software like JW.org?
    The stuff I was doing was just on the family machine. When I get serious I use my pro gear, just was too lazy to fire it up. I wanted a quicky job into the comp so I could slough the files to a thumb drive and THEN to the pro stuff.

If I had not been so lazy I would have done it right in the first place. At least I learned a little bit about Win media player. Enough to know it sucks.

I am used to using Cakewalk Sonar Platinum and a great Lenovo laptop for real recording and I have another comp dedicated to earlier versions of Sonar and a lot of hours on that machine.

The laptop makes it a lot more portable and I am doing pro recording with it now.

I was reluctant to cart around a whole PC and such just to record someone playing flute or whatever.

Now the whole shebang fits in a single case but of course you still need a bunch of mic cables, mics, mike stands, an extra monitor if you have a lot of stuff going on at once and an 8 track Tascam I/O with individual mic preamps and built in limiter. That last is very important. My first recording job was done on a previous version of that same Tascam I/O but without limiter and I had to babysit the audio every second to keep from crashing into the ceiling of bit limits but the new one almost completely eliminates overdriving digital audio and that makes all the difference in the world.

I also use a headphone amp with 5 outputs so each player can have earphones.

Even so, second monitor, mikes, cables, monitor speakers and all, it fits in a couple of boxes.

You wouldn't do that ten years ago very well.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 17:191 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wav files are full CD quality. It is better than the best MP3 and you are right, MP3 is much better for some apps like sending music files through email. My home email server has a limit of 5 megs it can gulp at one time and a 3 minute Wav file is about 33 megs so it would never fly through email.

But you can convert a Wav file to some flavor of Mp3, the ...[text shortened]... ant to hear some, PM me an email address, I will send you some of my music. I don't abuse email.
    It seems to me therefore that the problem is not so much the size of the audio files, but the mode of transportation. You are a windows user, right? Why don't you get google drive? upload your files to goggle drive and let anyone that wants to download them, all you need to do is send them a private link to the virtual drive and the file and they can download it. You can put them all in a folder and give certain people that you like and trust a link. You can even set up shared folders so that many people could contribute. I forget how much space they give you but its certainly about five or ten gig, maybe even more.

Edit : you get 15Gig Fweeeeeeee!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 18:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It seems to me therefore that the problem is not so much the size of the audio files, but the mode of transportation. You are a windows user, right? Why don't you get google drive? upload your files to goggle drive and let anyone that wants to download them, all you need to do is send them a private link to the virtual drive and the file and they ca ...[text shortened]... ou but its certainly about five or ten gig, maybe even more.

Edit : you get 15Gig Fweeeeeeee!
    I already have drop box, I get lots of room free there also. I have access to friends boxes also as they do mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree