1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:37
    The Chinese have a curse they use, it goes "May you live in interesting times". This has come to pass...and do you know, i'm ok with it.

I'm a British citizen, living in the republic of Ireland. My wife is a non Eu citizen who currently holds a visa that states "EU FAM". Last nights vote has definitely effected my future. On the plus side, i have a few Euros in the bank, which should be good for buying my home town, Edinburgh castle, and a fair amount of the local population.

Dinner tonight will be unaffected...so that's nice.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:53
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    The Chinese have a curse they use, it goes "May you live in interesting times". This has come to pass...and do you know, i'm ok with it.

I'm a British citizen, living in the republic of Ireland. My wife is a non Eu citizen who currently holds a visa that states "EU FAM". Last nights vote has definitely effected my future. On the plus side, i have ...[text shortened]... nd a fair amount of the local population.

What I hear is Scotland voted 2/3 to stay in the EU. Now they want another referendum to leave the UK and I bet it works this time. So Britain is going to be in deep doo doo I think.

Brexit may be followed by Frexit and Grexit in short order if the right wingers in France have their say.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:55

I'm a British citizen, living in the republic of Ireland. My wife is a non Eu citizen who currently holds a visa that states "EU FAM". Last nights vote has definitely effected my future. On the plus side, i have ...[text shortened]... nd a fair amount of the local population.

Trains were still running, last time I checked.

The biggest problem with claiming that catastrophe will ensure on such a decision is that, if it does not come to pass, no-one will believe you in the future.

When we were considering joining the Euro, equally preposterous claims were made. They never materialised, so people who were around then were not minded to believe them now. So it doesn't matter (in terms of the result) whether they are true or not this time round.

Enjoy your dinner.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:56

What does this result mean? does this mean that if we want to travel to Europe we will need a visa? or that google and amazon and other global tax dodgers will have to pay taxes on the profits they make in the UK. or that all the Lithuanians or Poles and others who have come here are required to register, what does this result actually mean in real practical terms?
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What I hear is Scotland voted 2/3 to stay in the EU. Now they want another referendum to leave the UK and I bet it works this time. So Britain is going to be in deep doo doo I think.

Brexit may be followed by Frexit and Grexit in short order if the right wingers in France have their say.
    What currency? And have you checked the oil price recently?

It is nothing like a foregone conclusion. This is why Sturgeon didn't really want Brexit. If she goes too early, the Nats will lose again, and then it really is off the table for a long time.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 14:591 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

There is no democracy as far as Scotland is concerned, We are under a government that no one voted for and we are now again having to swallow another 'democratic' result which goes against the express wish of the Scottish people. If this doesn't trigger another independence referendum then I will be surprised.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    What does this result mean? does this mean that if we want to travel to Europe we will need a visa? or that google and amazon and other global tax dodgers will have to pay taxes on the profits they make in the UK. or that all the Lithuanians or Poles and others who have come here are required to register, what does this result actually mean in real practical terms?
    Nothing yet. All of this is to be negotiated.

(though the tax paid by Google and Amazon in the UK was never an EU matter)
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:011 edit
    There is no democracy as far as Scotland is concerned, We are under a government that no one voted for and we are now again having to swallow another 'democratic' result which goes against the express wish of the Scottish people. If this doesn't trigger another independence referendum then I will be surprised.
    It sounds a bit like you you are just pissed that England had the balls to do what you Scots didn't.

😉
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:062 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Nothing yet. All of this is to be negotiated.

(though the tax paid by Google and Amazon in the UK was never an EU matter)
    Why is it not an EU matter, I thought that the only reason they are subject to a favourable tax rate was their ability to move profits and make the case that its in Luxembourg that their head office is and its that rate of tax on profits that should apply. Why if we are no longer part of the European union is this unchanged?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:08
    It sounds a bit like you you are just pissed that England had the balls to do what you Scots didn't.

😉
    Its not about having big balls, we are pro-European. You can see that Scotland is under a government that it did not vote for and is now in a position with regard to Europe that it also did not vote for.
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:14
    why is it not an EU matter, i thought that the only reason they are subject to a favourable tax rate was their ability to move profits and make the case that its in Luxembourg that their head office is and its that rate of tax on profits that should apply. Why if we are no longer part of the European union is this unchanged?
    Direct tax matters (in this case, corporation tax) are left to member states. There are no EU rules governing this (other than those that prevent discrimination between member states).
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:151 edit
    Direct tax matters (in this case, corporation tax) are left to member states. There are no EU rules governing this (other than those that prevent discrimination between member states).
    ok, I understand.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:16
    Its not about having big balls, we are pro-European. You can see that Scotland is under a government that it did not vote for and is now in a position with regard to Europe that it also did not vote for.
    Then vote to leave the UK next time. I have no problem with that, if that is what the Scots want.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:18
    Then vote to leave the UK next time. I have no problem with that, if that is what the Scots want.
    I think that they just might do that although they are canny enough to hedge their bets 😉
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 17:471 edit
    I think that they just might do that although they are canny enough to hedge their bets 😉
    You just have to decide if Scotland is best sucking up to EU or to UK.

One question: What happens to all the RAF bases in the north if Scotland succeeds?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree