We are not alone

We are not alone

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Feb 15

Exciting research on our bacterial friends:

http://www.cell.com/pb/assets/raw/journals/research/cell-systems/do-not-delete/CELS1_FINAL.pdf

Very interesting who is frequening the New York subway system (and I assume the findings wouldn't be very different elsewhere...

Moves
10 Feb 15

Originally posted by Ponderable

http://www.cell.com/pb/assets/raw/journals/research/cell-systems/do-not-delete/CELS1_FINAL.pdf

Very interesting who is frequening the New York subway system (and I assume the findings wouldn't be very different elsewhere...
Wait till it's done elsewhere on earth or space. The possibilities of the growth in "unknown" species are potentially astronomical. My brain is tired and I'm only at 8,000. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Read a book!

Moves
10 Feb 15

Originally posted by Ponderable

Thanks for posting this interesting study.

What surprised me most was not the sheer number of microorganisms found in New York's
subway system and public parks but the discovery that 48% of the DNA recovered from
urban surfaces doesn't match any known organism.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
10 Feb 15

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
10 Feb 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
48% od the DNA found is not from any recognisable known earth type creature

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Feb 15

The research group took swaps from different surfaces in the New York subway system and tried to identify everything that lived in that swaps.
They were able to find out that a lot of pathogenic bacteria live there. For example the Pest bacterium.
They also found that they didn't know the DNA from about half the cells. This is quite common in those swaps. There was an interesting paper on the bacterial fauna in human armpits...but I digress. Attempts to cultivate the new found lifeforms were not succesful.

R.I.P. mikelom

Dogville, USA

Moves
10 Feb 15

Originally posted by redbadger
48% od the DNA found is not from any recognisable known earth type creature
...as opposed to the 100% unrecognizable DNA in you.

People theorize you were sent from Kolob because your parents didn't want you. Now you go around wearing tights and calling yourself Pooperman. Your favorite is elephant dung.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
10 Feb 15

"Can you condense it into a short paragraph for me to explain it to my kids please?"

We are immersed in an ocean of micro-organisms, and even within our own bodies, there are more bacterial cells than human cells (by a factor of 10:1). Micro-organisms surround us and live inside us. Evolutionarily speaking, humans are not the supreme achievement they think themselves to be--bacteria are winning hands down. We are parasites on them: they can live without us but we cannot live without them.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
10 Feb 15
1 edit

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Feb 15

Originally posted by moonbus
"Can you condense it into a short paragraph for me to explain it to my kids please?"

We are immersed in an ocean of micro-organisms, and even within our own bodies, there are more bacterial cells than human cells (by a factor of 10:1). Micro-organisms surround us and live inside us. Evolutionarily speaking, humans are not the supreme achievement they thin ...[text shortened]... hands down. We are parasites on them: they can live without us but we cannot live without them.
Scientists already know we have analysed only a tiny fraction of the life forms out there so why is this such a big shocker? Especially since we already know DNA can be transferred laterally from bacteria to bacteria and from virus to bacteria and bacteria to virus.

If enough DNA changes hands in one generation, think about how much different the DNA will look like in a thousand generations which is not that much time in the world of Bacteria.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
10 Feb 15

Originally posted by blunderdog
...as opposed to the 100% unrecognizable DNA in you.

People theorize you were sent from Kolob because your parents didn't want you. Now you go around wearing tights and calling yourself Pooperman. Your favorite is elephant dung.
bet you have your dick in your hands every time you post

Read a book!

Moves
10 Feb 15

This is the summary offered by the authors of the report:

The panoply of microorganisms and other species
present in our environment influence human health
and disease, especially in cities, but have not been
profiled with metagenomics at a city-wide scale. We
sequenced DNA from surfaces across the entire
New York City (NYC) subway system, the Gowanus
Canal, and public parks. Nearly half of the DNA
(48 percent) does not match any known organism;
identified organisms spanned 1,688 bacterial, viral,
archaeal, and eukaryotic taxa, which were enriched
for harmless genera associated with skin (e.g.,Acinetobacter).
Predicted ancestry of human DNA left on subway surfaces
can recapitulate U.S. Census demographic
data, and bacterial signatures can reveal a station’s
history, such as marine-associated bacteria in a
hurricane-flooded station. Some evidence of pathogens
was found (Bacillus anthracis), but a lack of reported
cases in NYC suggests that the pathogens represent
a normal, urban microbiome. This baseline metagenomic
map of NYC could help long-term disease surveillance,
bioterrorism threat mitigation, and health
management in the built environment of cities.