1. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 09:45
    @ponderable said
    I finished the first volume of Ian Doescher's Shakespearean Star wars book.
    It is hilarious!
    It's priceless! Shakespeare must be turning in his grave, hopefully in fits of laughter.

'Now is the summer of our happiness'

'Pray, R2-D2, where art though? '

I've also just finished 'A man with one of those faces' , Caimh Mcdonnell. Brilliant book! The first in a four (??) book trilogy.
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 22:25
    I don't read for pleasure often but I was handed "The Giza Power Plant" by Christopher Dunn. He's been on Ancient Aliens a couple of times.

Anyway, it's a provocative read. Can't say what he wrote is true, it's kinda' esoteric.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 03:42
    I'm reading the Jokes thread. I'm on page 41 now.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 09:22
    @caesar-salad said
    I'm reading the Jokes thread. I'm on page 41 now.
    Did any make you smile? 😉

-VR
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:09
    Meave Binchey: Sommerleuchten ( orig. Firefly Summer) fitting to our vacation in Ireland.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 12:25
    David Baldacci's: End Game
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Jun '19 14:481 edit
    "Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them."
    --from THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (2004) by Mark Haddon

I wish I hadn't yet read this book - it would mean I still had this wonderful story to look forward to reading.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    30 Jun '19 19:39
    @very-rusty said
    Did any make you smile? 😉

-VR
    I am not sure; however, some did make me laugh.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 06:56
    @torunn said
    "Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them."
    --from THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (2004) by Mark Haddon

I wish I hadn't yet read this book - it would mean I still had this wonderful story to look forward to reading.
    I liked that when I read it some years ago.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 19:39
    Louis de Bernières: Birds without wings (2005)

It took me a while to get into this book. "The story is set in Eskibahçe, a small fictional village in southwestern coastal Anatolia during the 1900s, spanning World War I and the era of Turkish nationalism. The Battle of Gallipoli takes place halfway through the novel..." There are many characters with difficult names to remember at the beginning, and it starts off slowly describing everyday life in the village Eskibahçe. But as the story unfolds, it is amazing, terrifying and wonderful at the same time. Louis de Bernières is also the writer known for his novel "Captain Corelli's Mandolin".
    I still have 200 pages wonderful reading to do.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '19 12:22
    I just finished "The Tattooist of Auschwitz" by Heather Morris and am now reading "Kasztner's Train" by Anna Potter.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 01:04
    Generally some short stories in the horror/weird/dark-fantasy realms by various authors, some Borges, some stories related to The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 08:26
    Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I am going on holiday to Transylvania in September, walking in the Carpathian mountains.
    As this is where part of the book is set I thought it would be interesting to read it before I go.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 12:35
    @the-gravedigger said
    Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I am going on holiday to Transylvania in September, walking in the Carpathian mountains.
    As this is where part of the book is set I thought it would be interesting to read it before I go.
    Beware of anybody asking if you'd care to "give blood", whilst there. 🤔 😲
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 16:14
    @the-gravedigger said
    Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Taking a stake?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree