Lycka till.
    Tack. πŸ™‚
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 06:04
    David Shafer: Whiskey Tango Foxtrott

This book had been recommended to me some time ago, and now I got hold of a copy. It is a quite intruiging storyline and a very good character development so far (about two thirds in the book). Not all waht is told is technological feasible (yet).
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 06:17
    Just ordered "Game Changer", about AlphaZero's victory over Stockfish.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 20:16
    @handyandy said
    Macfarlane's knowledge is extensive and his writing is superb. Underland could be a candidate for book of the year.
    I don't think Macfarlane's publisher was represented at this book fair - at least I couldn't find them, but it was so very crowded everywhere, and it was difficult to find anything really. πŸ™‚ One of his books - The Lost Words - has been translated to Swedish, 'De förlorade orden'. I hope to be able to read Underland in Swedish, it is so much easier.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 20:56
    @torunn said
    I don't think Macfarlane's publisher was represented at this book fair - at least I couldn't find them, but it was so very crowded everywhere, and it was difficult to find anything really. πŸ™‚ One of his books - The Lost Words - has been translated to Swedish, 'De förlorade orden'. I hope to be able to read Underland in Swedish, it is so much easier.
    The publisher is W.W. Norton. I would think a Swedish translation is in the offing.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    29 Sep '19 07:21
    @handyandy said
    The publisher is W.W. Norton. I would think a Swedish translation is in the offing.
    Thank you, it's on my list now.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Oct '19 11:011 edit
    @ponderable said
    David Shafer: Whiskey Tango Foxtrott

This book had been recommended to me some time ago, and now I got hold of a copy. It is a quite intruiging storyline and a very good character development so far (about two thirds in the book). Not all waht is told is technological feasible (yet).
    Warning: That book Ends on a cliffhanger and there is no second book yet. Otherwise it was en enjoyable and funny read.

Now reading Robin Sloane: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '19 11:51
    @ponderable said
    Warning: That book Ends on a cliffhanger and there is no second book yet. Otherwise it was en enjoyable and funny read.

Now reading Robin Sloane: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
    That should have been "Spoiler Alert", not Warning! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Oct '19 12:05
    @very-rusty said
    That should have been "Spoiler Alert", not Warning! πŸ˜‰

-VR
    A spoiler would contain Details on what happens, Right?
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '19 12:12
    @ponderable said
    A spoiler would contain Details on what happens, Right?
    I assume letting the reader know there was no ending and a second book no where in sight would be a 'Spoiler Alert'?

-VR
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '19 12:59
    I was listening to Q yesterday morning on the CBC and Tom Power was interviewing R. J. Palacio about her new graphic novel "White Bird. I went to our library and "ordered" it. It is so new that the system had yet to buy it so I will await it's purchase and my subsequent notice of it's arrival.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 22:00
    @Great-Big-Stees
    Two new books well worth reading: Rachel Maddow, Blowout and Susan Rice Tough love. Blowout about both the history of oil and what that generation of vast wealth has done to the US and other countries.
    And Tough love about the current state of American politics.
    Should be a must read for HS students.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 07:44
    Niklas Natt och Dag: 1794 (2019) - second book in his trilogy about late 18th century Stockholm. His first book is 1793 - 'The Wolf and the Watchman'.

Natt och Dag himself has an undeniable connection to Swedish history, being a member of the oldest surviving noble family in Sweden.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 22:34
    @Torunn
    Does he get to keep whatever title he would have held?
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 07:171 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Torunn
    Does he get to keep whatever title he would have held?
    '1793' (The Wolf and the Watchman)' was his very first book and the story is about Stockholm, people, and historical and political events leading up to that year. In '1794' (not yet translated) the story continues in Stockholm and other places in the world.
    "In his debut novel The Wolf and the Watchman, Niklas Natt och Dag paints a compelling portrait of late 18th century Stockholm. Through the eyes of the novel’s four narrators the powdered and painted veneer of the era is peeled back to reveal the frightful yet fascinating reality hidden beyond the dry facts of history texts. With one foot firmly planted in literary tradition and the other in hardboiled suspense literature, Natt och Dag has with The Wolf and the Watchman created an entirely new genre of suggestive and realistic historical noir..." (S.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree