1. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 08:411 edit
    What grade do you have and what is your favourite style of music that can be played on that instrument?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:06
    Originally posted by Tygert
    What grade do you have and what is your favourite style of music that can be played on that instrument?
    I can read about a bar of music a week and love classical guitar especially flamenco, there is no grade for someone at my level, absolute super noob might be it, too lazy I guess. 😀
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I can read about a bar of music a week and love classical guitar especially flamenco, there is no grade for someone at my level, absolute super noob might be it, too lazy I guess. 😀
    I love classical guitar as well. I play clarinet; recently did grade 6. The examiners from the Royal School of Music are always so creepy. They ask you for a scale and say, "When you're ready, darling." and give you a terribly expectant cheshire grin with their heads tilted and a hint of malice. If you make a mistake, they say so matter-of-factly, "That was wrong. I asked for it legato."
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:401 edit
    I tried for about 5 years to teach myself to play the piano (and never put the effort in to enable myself to read music) - My greatest accomplishment was being able to play "The Entertainer". In comes my musically talented little brother who shows me what he can do after 3 months, and I resolved to never play that instrument again.

To make up for this I draw better than most though.
  5. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:45
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I tried for about 5 years to teach myself to play the piano (and never put the effort in to enable myself to read music) - My greatest accomplishment was being able to play "The Entertainer". In comes my musically talented little brother who shows me what he can do after 3 months, and I resolved to never play that instrument again.

I do enjoy ragtime in certain moods and Scott Joplin is definitely. one of the best composers of that particular style. One of the first clarinet pieces in learned to play had syncopated rhythms.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 11:20
    I learned to play the recorder at school and still play a tune now and then. Simple things of course.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 11:27
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I learned to play the recorder at school and still play a tune now and then. Simple things of course.
    I studied music for 6 years (playing the Tuba/Sousaphone) and stopped for about 30 years after high school. A friend asked if I'd like to join a community orchestra as they needed a tuba player. I was hesitant as I hadn't played for a long time but decided "why not". I joined and was surprised how quickly it all came back. I played for about a half year but due to other commitments wasn't able to spend the time doing it and have since not played again. I also play the guitar, piano (both by ear).
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 11:361 edit
    I played in several bands, Irish and old timey american, Southwind Irish Band was one of them, we played all over California and our favorite was McCabes Guitar shop, where we are listed as alumni🙂 That is Santa Monica.

I play guitar, mandolin, fiddle, autoharp, mountain dulcimer, banjo and keyboards. I compose folk like melodies, you can hear 4 of my originals on Myspace,
    myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

My wife founded 3 dulcimer societies. We first started one in Scottsdale Arizona where we lived for 3 years, the Arizona Dulcimer society, and one in Israel where I worked for about 4 years, the Israel Dulcimer Society, if you google that one you find her at Kibbutz Tsora. Then one here in Pennsylvania, the Appalachian Dulcimer society and here where you would have thought it would have been a hit, it died with a flop. The one in Arizona and the one in Israel, still going strong.

My daughter Heather did it right, got her first degree at Berklee college of music in Boston, then masters at Wesleyan in Connecticut, she married a guy from India and they settled down in Brazil (long story) and they both teach at the Federal University in Natal. He has a Phd in statistical physics (formerly known as bio-physics) so they both teach their subject at university level. Heather is coming back to the states to New York University for her Phd in music next year.
  9. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 13:38
    I play the radio and I'm really good at it.

Also jazz flute:

YouTube
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 14:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 15:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You should take it up again. It's really nice being able to play music.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 23:351 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg

You mean you draw more then you lose? Well a half a point is better than none🙂

BTW, are you part of the Anglo German Educational Research Group?

http://agerg.org/
  13. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 07:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean you draw more then you lose? Well a half a point is better than none🙂

BTW, are you part of the Anglo German Educational Research Group?

http://agerg.org/
    No he means he's a better artist than most.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 00:46
    No he means he's a better artist than most.
    Boy, you need to learn about smiley faces🙂
  15. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 00:55
    I have been teaching piano and organ for the greater part of my life. I prefer classical for the piano. On the pipe organ I prefer Bach. (which is Baroque). But since I have played for church since I was 11 years old, I mostly play gospel hymns. I actually wanted to be an artist! I majored in art from Jr. High through college. Figure drawing and portrait painting was my forte.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree