1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 17:41
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Dude, your gear is way beyond mine. I was thinking of using mics and line in on my sound card. I'm out grabbing lunch at the moment. I will see what I can knock together when I get home.
    Line in won't even BEGIN to work for mics, line in wants VOLTS input. Mics put out MILLIVOLTS, a thousand times too low, if you heard anything it would be buried in the noise. You have to use a mic input which requires a pre-amp, if your sound card doesn't have one you will have to use a mixer which are getting very cheap nowadays. I got one at the Guitar Center, a Mackie with 2 XLR ins for under a hundred bucks. If you used that you would have a decent sound which you could then put into a line input because that is what the output of a mixer is, line voltage, around 1 volt from a millivolt signal coming off the mics. They will have bass, mid and high equalizer and left right balancing called Panning so you can equalize the mics if you want. Good luck!
  2. In your face
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 21:111 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Line in won't even BEGIN to work for mics, line in wants VOLTS input. Mics put out MILLIVOLTS, a thousand times too low, if you heard anything it would be buried in the noise. You have to use a mic input which requires a pre-amp, if your sound card doesn't have one you will have to use a mixer which are getting very cheap nowadays. I got one at the Guitar C ...[text shortened]... zer and left right balancing called Panning so you can equalize the mics if you want. Good luck!
    Howdy. I didn't mean sticking a mic in my line in input. I was talking about using two seperate methods. That's all.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 10:31
    Howdy. I didn't mean sticking a mic in my line in input. I was talking about using two seperate methods. That's all.
    You can make decent recordings with just a good sound card but you don't get the benefits of a good I/O like low latency, which means if you hit a percussive note there is very little delay between when you strike the note, guitar string, drum or whatever, and the hearing the note played in your earphones. Long delays, (high latency) can screw with your sense of timing and lead to a sense of things being out of place musically.

Anyway, good luck with your project. Maybe you can link to something on dropbox or my space so we can all hear the results.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:12
    You can make decent recordings with just a good sound card but you don't get the benefits of a good I/O like low latency, which means if you hit a percussive note there is very little delay between when you strike the note, guitar string, drum or whatever, and the hearing the note played in your earphones. Long delays, (high latency) can screw with your sen ...[text shortened]... project. Maybe you can link to something on dropbox or my space so we can all hear the results.
    It appears no one is interested in it, so it's a none starter really isn't it?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 07:53
    It appears no one is interested in it, so it's a none starter really isn't it?
    I'm interested. I'll show you mine if you show me yours🙂
  6. In your face
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 14:47
    I'm interested. I'll show you mine if you show me yours🙂
    Are we going to have a joint effort or a face off?

😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree